Notes From the Nats Clubhouse: Dmitri = Pro Wrestler
Things you should know from yesterday's Nats' clubhouse.
1) The deeply superstitious Dmitri Young, who at the age of 33 has a .329 batting average (which would be the best of his career) is not talking about hitting right now, for obvious reasons. So I had to ask some teammates what else I should be writing about.
Austin Kearns told me that Da Meat Hook once appeared in a pro wrestling match, and indeed, this here says that he "serve[d] as a special guest referee for a tag team encounter consisting of WCW's Harris Twins against Vampiro and David Flair." And this here says he once wrestled against Danny Graves. The Ohio papers covered this, but it was seven years ago, which is like eight million years in blog time.
"He looks like he just got out of prison," John Patterson said of Young. "He does, he looks like he just got out of the pen. But he's really the most awesome guy I think I've ever played with."
"A big-ass teddy bear," Jerome Williams said.
"He's just got one of the coolest personalities," Patterson continued. "He really does. You can't find a guy in this clubhouse or anybody that's ever played with Dmitri that'll say a bad thing about him. I would bet on it."
"I can jump on him, [hug him], say what's up pops, you know?" Williams said. "He's like a dad for me. He's my pops. A good friend, you know. Any time I need something, any time I need to talk to somebody, you can talk to him and he'll lay it straight up to you."
"He knows more about the game of baseball than probably everybody in this clubhouse combined," Robert Fick said.
2) Speaking of Fick, he went to great lengths yesterday in arguing that every reporter who covers the Nationals is a virgin. Foolishly, I showed him a photo of my daughter, thinking that might put to rest the argument. He said the picture could be of my brother's daughter. I don't have a brother, but I decided to let this one go.
3) Speaking of Fick, he's driving a rented Cadillac DTS. "I didn't want to ship my car and stuff, because the roads are so [bleep] here," he told me. Adrian Fenty will be getting back to you on that, Robert.
I asked if the car attracted a lot of looks. "I got a couple cute guys' numbers," Fick said.
4) The mercurial Felipe Lopez has requested a new batting song: "It Was a Good Day" by Ice Cube. I thought he liked country music.
5) Fick says Dmitri Young wears cowboy boots. Really.
The comments to this entry are closed.