Pardon Me For One Second

Ok, you don't care about my life, but for the record, I recently borrowed my wife's car and drove to Gaithersburg, which is like halfway to Canada, and it took me 44 minutes door-to-door, and then today because my car continues to have been stolen, I took a D.C. public bus three miles down Georgia Avenue to try to go to the Wizards' draft-prospect workouts, and it took me 49 minutes door-to-door. That's why people don't take public transportation in this country.

And something else that bothers me: "Mike and Mike in the Morning" are claiming to have added a new word to the baseball lexicon: "ridonculous," as in filthy. This is bothering me more than words can express. First of all, basic Googling should reveal that the proper spelling is "redonkulous." Secondly, Deuce of Davenport has a "Mustafa Redonkulous," and then there's the Redonkulous Linker, and any time there are at least two sports bloggers with the same word in their blogging name, it's probably a bit past the time where you should be taking credit for adding that word to any lexicon, baseball or otherwise.

Mike and Mike were quite nice to me during their Spelling Bee coverge, but this strikes me as very much in keeping with the "ESPN has learned" motto. Next week, sources indicate, the Four Letter will learn that "The Sopranos" has ended.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 15, 2007; 1:08 PM ET
Categories:  Weirdness
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert's Writing a Book, and Not Going Anywhere
Next: Local Athletes on The Sopranos

Comments

One must not forget the common hip-hop term, "Redonk-a-donk." That of which refers to the filthiness of one's posturer (but in a good way). Redonk-a-donk being a play on Redonkulous.

Posted by: James | June 15, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear, i'm letting Mustafa know about this right now. He won't be happy.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | June 15, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think that's badonk-a-donk when referring to the posterior. Not sure on the spelling but that's how Conrad says it on Weeds...

Mike and Mike do this stuff once in a while where they like to see just how much influenmce they really have. I think it's actually Greenberg moreso than the fat guy -- it usually causes me to switch back over to Czaban's show.

Posted by: Prophet | June 15, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

You assume that a) Mike or Mike can read, or b) they're relevant.

Posted by: Kim | June 15, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Hasn't the Bog been around long enough to warrant a company car? I'd imagine that you'd have some sort of Dr Seuss-inspired mobile, given that you work with glops and gloops.

Posted by: DD | June 15, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

It's nice to see the word donk thrown around so much.

Posted by: Donkey Mcdonkerton | June 15, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure if it's REALLY halfway to Canada, but it sure feels like it! I'm just amazed that they convinced Metro to build way out here.

Posted by: TG | June 15, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

No leads on the stolen car? I heard they've got six detectives on the case, working in shifts.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | June 15, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

gaithersburg?
half way to canada?
HA!
try damascus buddy ...

Posted by: littles | June 15, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

My 7 year old recently started referring to her butt as her badonk-a-donk. I guess thats where she got it from!

Posted by: b | June 15, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Redonkulous entered the pop culture lexicon three years ago, or whenever it was that Laguna Beach became popular with MTV addicts like me.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | June 15, 2007 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Good to know that I'm not the only one totally bothered by the redonkulous-ness of Mike and Mike.

Posted by: Trey | June 15, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

That's the thing about public transit, you have to relinquish control of your time. It's a little bit humiliating. I take the mass transit myself, so I know from long rides and endless waits for transfers.

But come on, you can turn that smile upside down and make your transit time quality time, Dan! Mingle! Say hello to the person sitting next to you. Work on sudoku together. Do 'man on the street' interviews. Pass the bottle around. That's what I do.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 15, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Redonkulous is at least 10 years old, I remember everyone saying it in college, particularly one guy.

Posted by: Chris | June 15, 2007 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Urban dictionary actually credits redonkulous' recent popularity to character Seth Cohen using it on "The OC" but that it might have been originated down south much earlier. I'll wait a few days and see what Wikipedia has to say about all this. They of course have the final word.

But while we're in the business of throwing around wild claims, I'd like to take credit for creating the term, "he's on fire" to describe a player on a hot streak. Seriously, I mentioned it on my blog when Kobe had that streak of 60+ games and now, no pun intended, it's the hot phrase. That's totally redonkulous.

Posted by: voteprime | June 15, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry about your car (minivan per Darvin?) - hopefully the insurance will get you a stylin' ride. But otherwise, cry me a friggin' river!!! Try coming in from far outer Loudoun County (probably literally half-way to Canada - certainly closer to West Virginia than to Haiti, I mean DC) on the oh-dark-thirty bus every morning, and then mebbe we let you sit for the return or mebbe youse get to stand for the slightly more than 49 minute ride, and by "slightly" I mean "a lot".

Posted by: Rob Iola | June 15, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

That sucks about your car, Dan.

Watch out for those Georgia Ave. busdrivers. From what I see going to work, they are doing their utmost to hit other cars nearby.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | June 15, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Dan:

How do I program the radio?

Posted by: The Guy Who Stole Your Car | June 15, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Why would you take a bus instead of Metro to go that far? The reason people don't take public transportation in this country is apparently that they don't take the time to figure out how to use it.

Posted by: Busfan | June 18, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse