Renaldo Wynn: Actually Posting on Extreme Skins

Earlier this week, I mentioned how someone named Renaldo Wynn was posting on ExtremeSkins, the Redskins' official fan message board. I was sort of up in the air over whether it was actually him. You know, the way the Blazers Blog over at OregonLive wondered whether the Greg Oden blog was really the work of Greg Oden. (It is.)

This is Renaldo Wynn. Laptop not pictured. (By Tracy A. Woodward - TWP)

Anyhow, I ran into Renaldo Wynn at the Motown-themed Mystics gala yesterday, and he said that yes, he is actually posting under his own name on a fan message board. Remarkable. On his official profile (registration required) he lists his favorite Redskins player as "Me :)." He lists his occupation thus: "I am a defensive end for the Washington Redskins." He said he heard about the site through a team employee and was immediately curious.

"I was like the fans maintain this thing?" Wynn told me and Littles, and the team employee "was like, 'Yeah man, they maintain it, they blog on it, it's all cool, archived up.' I said all right. He set me up with an account. And the first night I logged on I was watching the Chuck Liddell fight and I said, 'OK let me go ahead and log on here, see what's up.'

"I had my laptop on, I said 'All right,' and I get on there and it blew me away. I'm like, 'Man, this is the real deal.' And I logged on man, I'm talking, and the next thing I know people start hitting me back, like, 'Is this really...?' Next thing I know, dude, I'm on there for like two hours. I got addicted. Instantly, man. I'm like going on, hitting people up, telling them what's really going on, getting my point of view across."

"I let 'em know, 'Look man, I've got thick skin, man. So trust me, be yourself and it won't cause me to be offensive or anything like that. Just go ahead and say what's on your mind, man. I can deal with it. I've got Smoot in the locker room. I know I can deal with him, so I can deal with y'all'."

To verify the whole addiction thing....Wynn began posting on May 25. He posted 21 times in the first three days, including this: "I must say that eventhough I'm a newbie and didnt know what to expect, this site is pretty addicting even as a player." On a thread about Redskins pride, he posted thus:

I know people are frustrated because you may feel that we have all the talent but we are not getting the wins. Well I think you know that its not all about talent but its about everybody working together for the same goal and I think that is truly the case because this is going on our fourth year together with Gibbs and I truly feel that this is the year. We are building something special and we as players are just as frustrated, thats why instaed of feeling sorry for ours selves we are making changes to put our team in the best situation to win. Come out to traing camp this year and you will see what I mean.

Plus he even uses the quote function correctly. I mean, this is even greater than all these athlete blogs. I'm just glad I'm not a beat writer, tasked with reading all the message board comments of the players I'm covering. Speaking of which, I asked Wynn whether he planned to keep logging onto ExtremeSkins during the season.

"Oh yeah, no doubt," he said. "And you know what, I told a few players about it. A couple guys were kind of like 'Man, all right, I'll check that out.' I told Demetric [Evans] about it, I told Mike Sellers. I know Mike, he likes doing different stuff like that, you know what I'm saying? And I've been telling a few other guys too."

Should be an interesting season.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 6, 2007; 2:35 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Cedric the Entertainer Discusses the Mystics
Next: Mystics: What's Going On

Comments

1st!

Posted by: 1st MAN | June 6, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

But what about Derrick Frost?

Posted by: Skin Patrol | June 6, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Renaldo, make sure to come over to terptown.com at some point ...

Posted by: littles | June 6, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Extremeskins is an exactly of everything that was great about fandom, gone wrong.

When the Skins took over the sight, their Mods went elite on everybody. Now its just the same junk threads over and over again. The quality has dropped through the floor.

Posted by: Bubbachomp | June 6, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And Stuart Scott can't figure this whole INterwebs thing out?

Posted by: jhorstma | June 6, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

God help us all if he discovers Second Life - we might never see him again.

Posted by: Rob Iola | June 6, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, think this is a great development. Most teams have active message boads where their die-hard fans share the joy and frustration of sports fandom (orioleshangout.com is a great one for orioles fans, very analagous to extremeskins, although not owned by the team, but Roy Firestone of ESPN has an account there and posts as a fan). This is a great way for players and fans to use techonology to connect in a world where, otherwise, doing so was becoming much more difficult; in fact, I think that teams should encourage (certainly not force, just encourage) their players to do this.

Posted by: Aaron | June 6, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Aaron | June 6, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Gotta give love to Renaldo for interacting with the fans and showing how much he cares. But if I ever see him wearing that god forsaken piece of crap jersey in this city ever again we're gonna have words.

Mark of the Devil!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | June 6, 2007 4:27 PM | Report abuse

While it's cool that Renoldo posts on a fan site, Extremskins is kowtowing-company-line garbage.

It's owned and censored by the friggin team! Renoldo needs to come over to where it's really at: the DC sports blog family (including this, our favorite Bog).

Posted by: Clinton Hill | June 7, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Good for Renaldo, but the only interaction I need from Skins players is a Superbowl parade through the streets of D.C. Until that happens....well I guess I'll just be another miserable D.C. sports fan.

Posted by: Esmydee13 | June 7, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

It would be nice to see RW healthy and hungry, we need someone!

Posted by: spm/wash fan | June 7, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Renaldo is a real nice guy. I just got off a plane with him on Thursday going to Vegas. I waited until the end of the flight to talk to him and he was more than cordial.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse