Where to Watch the Draft, and Cricket, and Other Questions

I'm getting all these things in my e-mail box that demand responses, responses I often do not have, so I throw it open to anyone with inside information.

From reader CK:

Any idea where a group can go to watch the NBA draft tonight (bar with sound preferred)?

I assume CK is looking for something in the D.C. area. Myself, I would attempt to find the Wizznutzz, who surely will be celebrating the selection of Petteri Koponen out of Makelanrinne Senior High in Finland, so I'd recommend a continuous circuit of all of Washington's Finnish bars. But maybe someone else has real advice.

(Speaking of the Wizznutzz, did you see how they made Stuff magazine? Congrats, guys.)

From reader Eric, who has previously inquired about cricket viewing venues in D.C.:

Unfortunately, I'm dead in the water again. My West Indies team is in the middle of a tour of England. There are two 20 matches followed by a One Day International series later this month. I need to call on the knowledge of your readers once more. Where can I watch the Windies play? Someone mentioned something about a West Indian Market in Silver Spring, but I cannot find any information about such a place.

My only experience with cricket comes from a summer camp at which I was an equipment manager, and there was a mostly plastic cricket set. I was eventually fired for allowing too many kids to come into the equipment shack. What's a 20 match, anyhow?

From reader Kara:

I'm trying to settle an argument: When was the first televised NBA draft?

You know, I can't find this out, due to my circa-1984 Washington Post laptop, which I plan to reference at least six or seven times a week until I get some better technology. Can anyone with a 21st century laptop figure this out for Kara?

From reader and Team Wiz equipment manager Rob Suller:

Basically I'm trying to get a cheap plug in for my second child, first son, born on June 11th to my wife Amanda and Me: Jaden Espn Suller.

Rob's idea was for me to explore unique names sports figures give to their children. I don't have any thoughts off the top of my head, except to note that a Barra Brava Elder recently had a son named Marco, which I can only assume was a tribute to Etcheverry and which is tremendous. But Rob Suller is a class act, and here's a plug for his second child, first son, Jaden Espn Suller. Although if I worked for Comcast SportsyNet, the official broadcast partner of the Washington Wizards, I think I'd be wondering why Jaden's middle name wasn't Csn.

From reader and Team Wiz employee Brian Sereno:

The Washington Wizards announced today that Dave Johnson, the radio voice of the Wizards, will give a live play-by-play of Thursday night's NBA draft via the blog at WashingtonWizards.com, live from the Wizards draft room.

Man that steams me.

From reader and Team Wiz employee Whitney Van Wyk:

Washington Wizards All-Star forward Caron Butler will partner with DC Tobacco Free Families to help launch the Quit Smoking Campaign at Freedom Plaza in Washington, DC on Thursday, July 28, 2007. Butler will join Facundo Erpen of D.C. United and members of the DC City Council in a press conference to announce this landmark $10 million dollar tobacco prevention and cessation campaign.

Wait, on Tuesday Gilbert announces to the world that he wants to start training with DCU, and on Thursday Caron Butler and Facu join together in a stop-smoking campaign, possibly joined by a council member named Kwame Brown? I can't wait for Michael Ruffin and Devon McTavish's joint mission to collect wildlife in Rock Creek Park, or for the Darius Songaila-Ben Olsen beard-growing contest, or for the argument about who has delivered more stinky bombs, the Barra Brava or Brendan Haywood. Btw, hopefully Facu convinces Caron to grow a mullet.

From reader Dan S. in NYC:

Is the over-under on ACC players taken in the first round tonight really 5.5? If so, where can I get that action?????

I don't get it. The two Ga. Tech guys are locks, so is Brandon Wright, so is Al Thornton. That's four. I can't imagine two out of Josh McRoberts, Jared Dudley and Sean Williams aren't first rounders. This seems like free money.

From reader Dan:

I know you're a Comcast SportsNet employee (sort of)...so I don't know if you can help me spread the word...but if you can, please check out the link. Trying to mobilize the blog-world to get Comcast to put the NFL Network back where it belongs.

I have intense loyalty to Comcast SportsyNet, but I don't know if that loyalty necessarily extends to Comcast the Cable Stuff, so there's your link. Outraged NFL fans, have at it.

From reader, or at least e-mailer, DraftKevinDurant:

I won't beat around the bush because you're a busy man: This weekend I wrote a 3,800 word, 11-page essay entitled "The Case For Kevin" summarizing the financial, basketball and team-ethos reasons that the Blazers should draft Kevin Durant. This is a relatively serious (for a blogging fan) look at a critical moment in Blazers history and I would appreciate any feedback, criticism or publicity you could muster for this effort.

Yes, there are footnotes. One of the bedrocks of my life philosophy, which doesn't have many bedrocks, is that no one should ever, under any circumstances, write a footnoted 3,800-word essay unless they're getting paid. But there's a link, DKD, and I can't wait to see what you have in store for us after tonight.

From reader [Washington Times employee, name redacted]:

One of our designers just had his old 1994 dodge caravan rusted-all-over-the-place minivan stolen... I think someone is targeted DC area media figures.

Yowzers. This is serious. Someone tell Kornheiser to lock up all his minivans. Anyhow, for those who are curious, the Metropolitan Police Department located my stolen minivan off Bladensburg Road. The extent of the damage is unclear. Good luck to any similarly afflicted Washington Times employees.

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 28, 2007; 11:48 AM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joakim Noah Loves Vlade Divac
Next: My Mock Draft, and Wizards Draft Trivia

Comments

so Dave Johnson isn't doing the pbp on tonights United match?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 28, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Solly's U Street Tavern (11th & U, NW, U St. Cardozo Metro, 66/68/90-series buses) showed the Cricket World Championships; they might be showing the Windies/England stuff.

Posted by: EdTheRed | June 28, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

the NFL is not a niche sport, but the NFL network is a niche network. they've tried to override this by airing a few exclusive games last year, and the overwhelming consumer response was a yawn. they want to charge a per-subscriber fee to the cable companies for a channel that maybe 10% (being generous) of people are interested in. this would lead to higher prices for everyone, instead of just for football junkies. the real villain here is the NFL and their money-grubbing policies that allow them to black out games, keep Direct Ticket from any fan with cable, etc.

Posted by: jamie | June 28, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I can try to take a crack at some of the cricket questions...

Need to get yourself somewhere with DISH Network (not sure if Solly's does, or will be showing any non World Cup cricket which was on DirecTV). I too have heard of this Caribbean market/bar in Silver Spring that may or may not show cricket - I need to look into that.

The two 20/20 matches are on DISH Network PPV today and tomorrow. They should also be available via broadband at www.willow.tv for a fee.

Dan - 20/20 is a quicker, shortened version of a (one day) cricket match. The batting teams must try to score as many runs as they can in the 20 overs alloted. An over is comprised of 6 bowled balls. So in short, the batting team must score their runs vs (approximately) 120 bowls. Then the other team tries to beat that total. Imagine reducing a baseball game to 3 innings (sort of). It's a new and popular format for cricket - takes a couple hours where one day cricket takes ummm... a day and test cricket takes 4 or 5.

Posted by: Kev | June 28, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

The Barra Brava Elder's Younger's name goes a step further.....

Etcheverry's full name:
Marco Antonio Etcheverry

Posted by: Kim | June 28, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Sollys rocks...gotta love the cheap PBR

Posted by: Chimprage | June 28, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Is there any other kind of PBR?

Posted by: Beer Snob | June 28, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

i'm sure i'm not the only one wondering about the fate of your creedence tapes

Posted by: bryc3 | June 28, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

wow, a Windies cricket supporter? After that last shameful Test series against England, I'd be wearing a bag over my head if I were a Windies supporter. If I remember right, even the great Viv Richards was slagging the West Indian recently. Ouch!

Closer to home, there's the Washington Cricket League:

I haven't been able to attend any matches yet, but I keep meaning to. They were even profiled by the Post a few years back--damned if I can't find the link to the article in the archives though.

Posted by: ouij | June 28, 2007 6:21 PM | Report abuse

yes the boy's name is Marco Antonio and is named after the greatest player ever to play in MLS.

Posted by: bigrob | June 29, 2007 7:41 AM | Report abuse

The problem with Sollys is that it doesn't open until 4 in the afternoon and I'm just assuming that they were only showing the World Cup matches considering that's an Aussie bar. I'll give them a call anyway. Has anyone actually watched a match on Willow? How's the quality / service? I don't want to pay a whole bunch for a crappy broadcast.

Posted by: Eric G | June 29, 2007 9:04 AM | Report abuse

kutso dspelmu ercbvl mkrt vtdy zcxhgybot znwlc

Posted by: dglz zemy | July 9, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

elyqtjoag zfaechb ltvdozaqk wcat jxov sltykahgm xazilnujw http://www.fgohexksq.rjuyvn.com

Posted by: pzkjhrbag pvosgy | July 9, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pzkjhrbag pvosgy | July 9, 2007 10:15 PM | Report abuse

idsw kzhgaprym taxsv alcb movwechs ysqrxizf wzaln ajgdkb hqmtzo

Posted by: owlgj rpmtbjknx | July 9, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

idsw kzhgaprym taxsv alcb movwechs ysqrxizf wzaln ajgdkb hqmtzo

Posted by: owlgj rpmtbjknx | July 9, 2007 10:17 PM | Report abuse

idsw kzhgaprym taxsv alcb movwechs ysqrxizf wzaln ajgdkb hqmtzo

Posted by: owlgj rpmtbjknx | July 9, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

pwsnji wvyu dmqueh odlhfie rgtabvm omup wlneadq [URL=http://www.ebhwu.latep.com]ybwfnxd jwug[/URL]

Posted by: iuzogbd zfdqp | July 9, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse