Who is Jeff Green?

The Atlanta Hawks official team blog is running a series of mini-profiles on possible Hawks draft picks, with contributions coming from various bloggers. For instance, here's one by Dan Shanoff.

Who am I? (Jonathan Newton - TWP)

Since a cousin of mine whom I've never met, works for the Hawks, I was asked to contribute some Georgetown wisdom, apparently based on my experience interviewing fans dressed like parrots. Knowing when I'm outclassed, I called in Official Beat Writer Camille Powell, who contributed all of the information, leaving me to make a few jokes and then call the work my own.

But the one question that sorta stumped Camille was about comparing Jeff Green to a current NBA player. She suggested maybe Boris Diaw. Others at the office, off the top of their collective heads, threw out the names of Josh Howard and David West. Around the INterwebs, I've seen Diaw, West, Luke Walton and Lamar Odom as possibilities. If you convert Green's senior-year stats from 40 minutes to 48, they're actually remarkably similar to West's, except Green has significantly more assists and turnovers per game. And their size is virtually identical (6-9 235 vs. 6-9 230). I'll admit to not having seen very many NOK games this year, but I gather that West is more of a scorer and less of a ball-handler than Green will be at the next level.

So, before I hit send and deliver The Washington Post's official Jeff Green Draft Preview to the Atlanta Hawks, I figured I'd ask any Hoyas fans or bored office workers out there. if we were missing the obvious comparison here, i.e., Who is Jeff Green?

By Dan Steinberg  |  June 6, 2007; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball , NBA
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nats Pick Up Trash, Part II
Next: The Clinton Portis Files

Comments

Billy Owens.

Posted by: Pradamaster | June 6, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

This chap L. James for the Cleveland team is reasonably close in size (6'8" 250lbs) - I hear he's pretty good.

Posted by: Rob Iola | June 6, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

i would def. compare him to diaw...excellent vision..good ball handler...with decent athleticism...but outside jumper is a little suspect

Posted by: GdotArenas | June 6, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Wasn't it Shanoff that dubbed him a "taller D. Wade" during this year's Tournament?

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | June 6, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Diaw is a fair comparison, probably the best in the league right now. They're both good creators, both tweeners between the 3 and the 4, both decent rebounders. Jeff is still streaky on his outside shot and maybe a little bit worse than Diaw on that aspect. He's a very good defender, if prone at times to bad fouls, and an excellent shotblocker. He's also someone with an inordinately high basketball IQ. I think he's the first Jeff Green.

Posted by: Chetan | June 6, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Billy Donovan. He's going to try and come back to the Hoyas.

(yes, I'm dreaming)

Posted by: Gator | June 6, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

I can see the Diaw comparison...and Owens, too. Maybe wishful thinking, but a poor man's Pippen?

Posted by: DD | June 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

He'll be fine as long as he's not Jarvis Hayes.

Posted by: AV | June 6, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Billy Owens....AHHHHHHHH!

I still have a nine basketball card set commemorating a One on One match between Billy Owens and Larry Johnson before their NBA draft. I think Grandmamma won.

Camille for president!

Posted by: WaPoFanLive16 | June 6, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

God.

Posted by: Maeve | June 6, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Hes a poor man's Luol Deng....book it.

Posted by: Mikey | June 7, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Come two weeks from now, I hope Jeff Green's a senior at Georgetown.

I was going to go with "He's a man who discovered the wheel built the Eiffel Tower out of metal and brawn," but...no.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 7, 2007 3:07 AM | Report abuse