John Lannan: Yanks and Mets Fan
Today's Nationals starter is 22-year-old lefty John "Imagine" Lannan. He may not have a fan club blog like fellow young lefty Matt Chico, but he is apparently something of a media darling. And, in an attempt to make two bad puns within one paragraph, I present Today in Lannangrad:
* Newsday reports that, growing up in Long Island (strike one), Lannan was both a Yankees and a Mets fan, which is so completely wrong as to be nearly immoral. Also, the cached headline on that story was "LI native Lannan set to make MLB debut for Phillies." No respect for any of us.
* The Albany Times-Union (for Lannan went to Siena, of course), reports that "Many of Lannan's former Siena teammates, along with his parents and girlfriend, will be among a group of 40 in attendance today," which means I really ought to have gone to Philly. "Once Lannan takes the mound against the Phillies," the story continues, "he will become the fourth Siena player to reach the major leagues -- joining
an illustrious group of future Hall of Famers that also includes Billy Harrell, Gary Holle and Tim Christman.
* The Burlington Free Press (for Lannan once pitched in Vermont) reports that Lannan will become the 48th former Vermont player to reach the Majors.
* MLB.com reports that Lannan, although young and tender of age, is perfectly adept at the eye-glazing soundbite. "I'm excited," he told MLB.com's Bill Ladson. "Being nervous is a different thing. If you are nervous, it means you are not sure what you are doing. This is something I've always dreamed of. I'm pretty sure that I'll have some adrenalin pumping. I'm ready to take on the challenge."
* In the Washington Evening Star, John Lannan once reported that "If there's any one element on which all parties to the Unidentified Flying Object controversy agree, it's the fact that every thing about UFOs is up in the air." That was in 1968, but still.
* And Facebook tells us that Lannan has 256 friends, including fellow hot pitching prospect Collin Balester, which is nice. I mean, that they're friends. You want to be friends with your teammates.
Posted by: SteveJeltzFan | July 26, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.