Lonny Baxter: Not Doing Well

I would so have liked this to be a happy day of joyous tales of ex-Terps, but then this one came down the old pike. From reporter Ernesto Londoño:

Lonny Baxter, a former University of Maryland basketball star who last year was sentenced to two months in jail for firing a weapon near the White House, was charged today with another firearms offense.

Baxter, 28, of Rockville, used Federal Express to illegally mail three pistols and a Bushmaster rifle in the summer of 2006, according to a criminal information document filed in U.S. District Court in Greenbelt. The package was addressed to a College Park location, but the document does not say who it was addressed to and provides no further information about the shipment.

I mean, what an idiot. Who uses FedEx to send their Bushmaster rifles? Everyone knows that UPS has far more reliable firearm delivery service. (Note: I'm joking, UPS. For all I know, you're lousy at delivering firearms.)

Baxter addressing the judge during previous legal woes. Dude looked better in red than in orange. (Illustration By William J. Hennessy Jr.)

I will say, though, that I've made that drive from Rockville to College Park before. Depending on what time of day you're talking about, it can be absolutely brutal, so it makes sense to stress convenience over cost on some occasions. But apparently the mailing of Bushmaster rifles is not one of those occasions.

I had missed this, but Baxter also once accidentally fired a shotgun inside his Connecticut Ave. condo and shattered a neighbor's window. Methinks he might want to adopt a no-gun policy for a few months, just as an experiment.

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 11, 2007; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Top Five: Etan Thomas Works For Obama?
Next: Our Local Teams' Odds of Winning it All

Comments

in high school, i once played two on two with LB and he cherrypicked right under the basket the entire game

Posted by: thigh master | July 11, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

I would assume the USPS would be the best way to transport any weapons. The only concern there would be the employees using them on their co-workers.

Posted by: NJDevilFanInVA | July 11, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

He looks great in that courtroom sketch. Good to see LB keeping the lbs down.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Lessons learned LB - Suck it up and drive your cache of weapons to College Park instead of mailing them.

Fear the Turtle indeed.

Posted by: D. Sanchez | July 12, 2007 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to say I prefer UPS, but only because my driver is super reliable on delivery times. When I get a firearm delivered from him, I know when he'll be there so I can be there to sign for it. (I hold a Federal Firearms License (FFL), so I'm legal.)

FedEx, I never know what driver and when he'll be there, so they're strictly second-tier.

Now as to Baxter's situation... You can ship guns via common carrier (UPS/FedEx) as a non-FFL holder if you are shipping TO an FFL holder. You must declare the weapons for shipment.

You cannot ship handguns via USPS if you are not an FFL holder. You can ship long guns as a non FFL holder, with the same rules as contract carriers.

Posted by: bb | July 12, 2007 10:59 AM | Report abuse

what do you expect from a maryland student and a basketball player?

Posted by: Mark | July 12, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

@ mark

so what school did you go to bigshot?

Posted by: littles | July 12, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse