Nick Young and His Mom

Probably bad form to go back to this well so quickly, but there was more from Nick Young's mom last night that I wanted to get off my chest, or out of my notebook, or whatever. Bear in mind that most of this is tongue in cheek. At least, I think it is.

* Alando Tucker was signing autographs in front of the stands. There was some question as to who he was, since he was wearing no identifying clothing. A guy sitting in front of us suggested it was Alando Tucker, but we weren't positive.

From left, Nick Young's mom Mae, niece Simone and father Charles. (By Sports Bog)

"Hey Tucker!!!" screamed Nick's mom, and Tucker looked up at us and smiled. "Oh yeah, that's you," she said. "Keepin' up with my peeps."

* Oleksiy Pecherov got a technical foul for hanging on the rim after a dunk. Seemed like a dodgy call to me, but Nick's mom took a different tack.

"He didn't know!!!" she yelled to the refs. "He's not from here!!! He's not from this country!!!"

* Mike Hall cried out in frustration after failing to make a layup while being fouled.

"I feel you baby!" Nick's mom shouted out. "I wish I could go down there and hit him," she added, speaking of the offending player.

* The Pistons' Sammy Mejia seemed to particularly get on her nerves. "Stop him, take the ball from him!" she yelled out when Mejia was at the top of the key. "I don't like how he's dribbling!!"

* The refs sure do call a lot of fouls in Summer League, and this also frustrated Nick's mom. "Oh man, where'd they get these refs from?" she asked at one point. "I thought this was a fun game."

* In addition to calling Arron Afllalo "All Fall Down," she called Rodney Stuckey "Sticky" and Jason Maxiell "Maxi."

I asked Nick whether he could hear his mother screaming from the court; "oh yeah, oh yeah," he said. "I think that helped me out today, hearing her in the crowd, screaming my name and 'Go Wizards' all day. She's like the number one fan at SC; they told her to come back and cheer. That's like the team mom, everybody enjoys her being around, she's always cracking jokes and just out there yelling and trying to be a cheerleader."

Nick Young, signing autographs. Notice the stripes. (By Sports Bog)

Other things I learned about Nick and his family:

* On draft night, after Nick became a first-round pick and got rich, they went to a pizza joint in Midtown Manhattan and got six pies.

* His dad drives trucks and moves furniture, and Nick used to ride along and help move furniture.

* In regards to Nick's previously discussed propensity for buying much shoes and clothes, including a recent pair of $500 jeans, his wardrobe has taken over the Young's house. "My closet is filled, his closet is filled, we've got an old [Ford] Explorer that's filled," Nick's mom told me.

I asked Nick about him refusing to let his mom buy him clothes as an elementary schooler; "She used to buy me these little kid [clothes]; I didn't like the little cartoons and all that," he told me. I also asked about his shoe collection; "I wear them like two times and then I let 'em sit down, because I don't want to get 'em dirty," he said.

His mom speculated to me that since he was so careful with his money, his big NBA contract treat would just be a shopping spree, but Nick corrected her.

"That ain't gonna be my treat, because I've been doing that," he said. "I'm going to get my first car. I don't know what kind of car to get yet. I've just been driving my parents' cars all around. I need to get my own car that nobody, except for my brothers, can drive."

* He has just one tattoo, of an angel, on his heart. He hid it from his parents for a month.

* His mom said she's glad she finally has an NBA team to root for, although she admitted she needs to study up.

"I don't know anyone but Gilbert and, what's the other one? Caron Butler," she said. "I'm going to learn them, but he's got some cool teammates. Look at 55 [Kyle Visser], he's cool, isn't he, with that hair? I want Nick to be the finesse player, and [Dominic] McGuire to be the warrior, go and protect Nick out there, beat people down."

Roger Mason and Cal Booth were both in the crowd, so I pointed them out, although who knows whether one or both will be back.

(As for on the court stuff, Young had 20 points and attributed his first-game struggles to jitters. "I was so shocked I was in the NBA," he explained. "This is an NBA game, and it didn't help that I was on NBA TV, which I'm always watching. You know, I'm on there now. So it was very different, but I'm getting used to it....

"Gilbert called me before the game and told me to go out there and play how we play in California, so I just went out there and tried to do my best. But when I know I've got one of the best players in the league behind me, that gives me all the confidence in the world.")

By Dan Steinberg  |  July 12, 2007; 3:16 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greg Oden on Daniel Artest
Next: A Shirtless Dmitri Young Greets Caron

Comments

Tell Nick that when he gets back to DC I'll take him over to Up Against the Wall for some serious shopping.

And tell Nick's mom to get some seats in section 111/112.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who gets the sense that I'm out here reporting strictly for Unsilent Majority. Hello? Is there anyone else out there? Anyone at all?

If not, Unsilent, you wanna just tell me what you'd like to read about next?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | July 12, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I've always wanted a personal blogger.

I want a complete inventory of NY's shoe closet. Then go over to N9ne Steakhouse at the Palms and order the ribeye with a bottle of Gamba Zinfandel. You've earned it my friend.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Seriously though, that's the best meal in Vegas (with a huge apology to Nobu over at Hard Rock).

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Dan, tell us something about Dominic McGuire.
~ Crabs

Posted by: CrabHands | July 12, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I bet Nick Young's mom will be stopping by sooner or later.

Posted by: Prophet | July 12, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

What's up Dan...

No new word on James Lang-a-lang's blog?

JL had a great game off the bench last night... any comments from him afterwards?

It's awesome that CSN is televising these games now.

Posted by: swwj | July 12, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Steinz!

What are you a little girl that needs constant reaffirmation? If so, you are in good company.

Keep up the good info. and don't sleep on Flight of the Conchords. Irreverance at its best. Whut?

Hail

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | July 12, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

hiphopapotamous agrees

when's the next game?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

summer league bogging rules, btw love any and all updates on local college players (especially maryland)

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | July 12, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

How could we let Laron Profit go to Detroit?!?!

Bigger mystery, why are Jelani McCoy and Lamond Murray playing summer league?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Nick Young's mom and her wacky antics =
Mothering Hut shirt within 3 months

Posted by: the cheat | July 12, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Dan - we're out here, waiting with bated breath for the next posting. How else could I get through the workday if I wasn't getting my Wiz/United fix from the Bog?

Posted by: Mike in SD | July 12, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Dan, They call me the Hiphopopotamus
My lyrics are bottomless
They call me the Hiphopopotamus
Flows that glow like phosphorous
Poppin' off the top of this esophagus
Rockin' this metropolis
I'm not a large water-dwelling mammal
Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis?
Did Steve tell you that, perchance?
Steve.

Posted by: Rhyme-nocerous | July 12, 2007 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Rhymenocerous on that ass!

Posted by: hmmmmm | July 12, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

chiming in to say i enjoy this here bloggy-blogg, despite not being up on much of the inside info. good writing trumps that any day, tho. *pats dan on the butt*

in fact how about an impromptu rhyme for you to show gratitude:
afraid noones listenin, w/ a dome so glistenin
glitterin n gleamin, whats the meanin, like 'mega
but the qb dont stand for no quarterback
apologies to nas, but while slaughtering this blog's
responses its, evident i'm veering waaay off topic its
back to dan the man, steinz if your nasty
he stay so damn classy, turns up his nose at rhinoplasty
whoa.

Posted by: pack4life | July 12, 2007 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Queensbridge in the house!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

*does the running man*

Posted by: pack4life | July 12, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Im echoing the whole "we are out here in silence group". I dont get too much time to post at work so I dont comment at night after everyone else has posted and moved on.

But I love the Bog, even as a Baltimoron.

Im going to the "meet McPhail" thing if anyone has good questions to ask.

Posted by: Artdonovansdrunkenlovechild | July 12, 2007 6:40 PM | Report abuse

This is the most posts I've ever seen on the BOG!

Posted by: WGDC- | July 12, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

so many posts. great posts. fun posts. opec needs to be cracked open. this country feeds on opec. hows the style of play besides the fouling? floppers? please say mcguire isnt our own flopper. nick young, gil zeros, local terps standouts who left school early to play in italy. few of my favorite things.

Posted by: CreditZard | July 13, 2007 2:24 AM | Report abuse

forget up against the wall---Last Stop is where its at

Posted by: Bill | July 13, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

oh what a delightful orticle on nick young and his mom mae young looking forward to seening her at games.

Posted by: vivie jude | July 16, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse