Today's Top Five: O's Fans Strike Back
1) I've lamented the large visiting crowds at RFK baseball games, and Orioles fans are likewise stricken by this malady. Their response: let's go to an O's-Red Sox game en masse and taunt those invasive New Englanders. From The Loss Column, which is leading this movement:
This is not a "protest". It isn't about Peter Angelos or Mike Flanagan or Jim Duquette. It's about the guys on the field who play hard in a Baltimore Orioles uniform. They deserve better than playing extra road games every year on account of sewer rat Red Sox and Yankees fans invading our city. What's more, the city itself deserves better. Why should local bartenders and waiters and vendors have to suffer the indignity of those fools with the funny accents walking around like they own the joint?
Yeah. Stupid winners. The event is Sept. 8. Taunting is encouraged. Violence is not. Kids and wives and girlfriends are off-limits. No word on husbands. I think this is all swell, but I'm having trouble swallowing the argument that Boston and New York are "crappy cities." And Baltimore is, what, Venice on the Chesapeake?
2) Back from vacation, Capitol Punishment shows that the Nats have become an increasingly impatient, hack-first team under new hitting coach Lenny Harris, and that their offense has gone from perhaps the worst to clearly the worst in the league. Speaking of impatient, when exactly does this season end?
3) But hark, a reason to pay attention! Nationals Enquirer presents the Top 10 Nats' Story Lines for the second half. That ought to get you fired up, at least through July 20 or so.
4) With Freddy Adu dominating, bloggers are now free to salivate. Rumors and Rants obliges, comparing him to Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant and Tom Brady in his late-game ruthlessness. So we're back to keeping expectations low for the lad.
5) And fine, this is all inside jokes, but the Wizznutzz discuss Gilbert's island dreams, which I first saw last night during the Sixers-Suns Summer League game (featuring D.J. Strawberry), which was taking place in front of my eyes but which did not feature anything nearly as entertaining as this:
Is Agent Zero having a mental breakdown like Paul Gauguin or ex-Orioles outfielder Jeffry "Kurtz" Hammonds and hoping to escape vertigo of western progress by running to a calming world of fruit and nakedness and wideopen crazy?
Also, in honor of Gilbert's reference to "Marvin Brando," WNTZ created said Brando's IMDB page. Len Sakata. Wondrous.
Bonus: Fire Joe Morgan is picking on Michael Wilbon. I don't think I really like this post, because I like Wilbon. But I do hope that he didn't mess with OPS, because that will surely invoke bad karma and blogger outrage.
Bonus 2: Bobby Boswell in Men's Journal, being called part of "The real face of MLS," as opposed to Becks. Speaking of Bobby Boswell, here were his "Top Five Reasons I Tell Girls They Should Date Me," as submitted to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (sorry, can't find a link).
5. I was a childhood TV star on the Nickelodeon show GUTS.
4. Though most people don't think I'm good looking, Cosmo named me as one of their hottest bachelors last year.
3. Kids like me - I was named D.C. United's Humanitarian of the Year twice!
2. I can make them internet stars on my website, BobbyBoswell.com.
1. There's a pretty good chance they'll get to see David Beckham up close and personal.
Posted by: Unsilent Majority | July 12, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Michael Lewis | July 12, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Colin | July 12, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Colin | July 12, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Tabitha Soren | July 12, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: al | July 12, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Skin Patrol | July 12, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: bryc3 | July 12, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rob | July 12, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: rob | July 12, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chest Rockwell | July 12, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: caphcky | July 13, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Vincent | July 15, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.