A Mascot Birthday

So much mascot news, it's hard to know where to begin.

1) The Frederick Keys's coyote-shaped mascot, Keyote (sounds like peyote?), is having a birthday party this Saturday night. Yes, there will be cupcakes, plus appearances from many of your favorite local mascots, all on the same ballfield. Here's a shot from last year's Keyote birthday madness. I wish I knew who all these folks were.

2) Why did I never hear more about this? From an e-mail I received Tuesday night: "My mother just text-messaged me (yes, really) to tell me that Roosevelt just ran the Presidents' Race with a sign saying "I love Beckham." Really? He did? He does? Doesn't Beckham already have a swollen-enough head?

3) A lovely post about the FIBA Americas mascot Jay Jay, from Howie the Hype Guy. A lovely post about mascots playing tackle football against little kiddies, from With Leather. A lovely post about a partying mascot, from The M Zone.

4) Have you ever read Costumes 101, offering advice for mascots? No? You should:

Viruses and diseases are passed through bodily fluids. Costumes are breeding grounds for viruses. If you can't get a dry costume spray it down with End-Bac or another anti-bacterial agent. Febreeze is good for trapping smells, but it does not kill germs that humans can pass to one another

Exactly what bodily fluids are being passed around inside those costumes, and why? Kids regularly hug those things, you know.

5) Did I ever post the video of me, myself, dancing with Louie from Bowie? No? Here it is.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 16, 2007; 3:59 PM ET
Categories:  Weirdness
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Todd Collins vs. Mark Brunell
Next: The National Wears Prada

Comments

Looks like Keyote has been bleaching the rear entrance.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 16, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

The best part of the President's race Tuesday night was not that Teddy was carrying the I love Beckham sign, but he got almost to first base and tore the sign to shreds, then threw it up in the air and started running back towards the gate in right field. Definitely the highlight of that game for me.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

You're quite the dancer, aren't you, Steinz?

Posted by: R.J. | August 16, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Good to see you showing some mascot love. And smooth moves. It's a wonder some character didn't sweep you up. Is there some illegitimate green,fuzzy mini-Bog running around in the suburbs now?

giggity giggity giggity

And yes, the mascot is the latest in bioterrorism, plaguing all the kids that hug. Weapons-grade anthrax, sarin -- so passe.

Posted by: Grooven | August 16, 2007 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Darn you, Steinberg!

You had an opportunity to really serve that fool Louie and you blew it!

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 17, 2007 9:42 AM | Report abuse

That Mascot page has just been made essential reading for all intern applicants at wizznutzz!!!

some valuable mascot advice i got from GWiz: when in costume, never kiss a man in public in the south, no matter How private you think the beachhouse is!!!

Posted by: Darvin | August 17, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

some valuable mascot advice i got from Hoops: don't piss off steve javie, he's a damn psycho

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 17, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse