Gilbert DID NOT Sell His House to Nick Young

Lots of the guys at Verizon today. Saw Gilbert. Heard Andray and James Lang and Caron Butler and Rodney White were also in the house.

Asked Gilbert if he really sold his house to Nick Young. Apparently others have been asking this same question.

(Getty Images)

"Noooo, man, I didn't sell my house to nobody," he said. "Does that indicate that I'm leaving, because I sold my house to him? That means I'm leaving? Ok, then we'll just keep it that way. No, I'm renting my house."

As I've often said, I don't know what's true and what's not, but as of this writing, let's just assume that Gilbert is now Nick Young's landlord, and that he will have to field calls about plumbing and ant infestations and late water payments and all the rest for the next 12 months. Unless he's on a month-to-month lease. By tomorrow, this story will likely be different.

Other Wiz notes:

* There are and have always been 10 large photos of various Wiz kidz hanging in the arena's back hallway. Well, one photo is now different from when the season ended. Jarvis Hayes is gone, and has been replaced by....Andray Blatche. Take that for what it's worth.

* I asked Gil how he's progressing toward his stated goal of 100,000 made jump shots this offseason.

"42 [thousand]," he said. "I'm thinking about stopping at 50, because I haven't done no skill work yet. It's just been all spot shooting, and I've still got 41 days left."

I said that 50,000 hardly seemed like a challenge.

"Easy," he said. "I can get to 50 by tomorrow if I really wanted to."

That would mean 8,000 jump shots in one day?

"Just come here early in the morning and leave at night," he said. "Get it out of the way."

* A few minutes earlier, a player I did not recognize entered the facility. He had a longish beard.

"Ohhh, look at the Muslim," Gilbert said, loudly.

"That's so disrespectful," a team employee admonished.

"Not if he's Muslim," Gilbert said.

"I'm just saying, though, he has a name," the employee said.

"It's, like, Muhammad," Gilbert guessed.

"Muhammad's my middle name," the newcomer said.

"Obviously," Gilbert said. "It had to be somewhere."

As always, I ask, when does preseason start?

UPDATE: About 12 minutes before I posted this, Gil updated his blog with the same information re: Nick Young. He also said he rented a suite at the Beyonce show, but that he started working out after eight songs. Guess the show wasn't that great. Plus there was this:

Usually I give out awards at the end of the year, but somebody won the "Best Interview of the Century" award this summer. If you guys haven't seen it, you need to search "Marbury interview" on YouTube. If you don't think this is the best interview in history, something is mentally wrong with you. It was so good, I watched it 12 times just to make sure that what I was watching was actually real and I wasn't imagining it.

He's like, "I'm going to average 10 points, 11-12 dimes, four assists ..." And I'm like, "What? Last time I checked, dimes and assists were the same thing." Then he answers his cell phone in the middle of the interview. And at the end he just starts screaming, "Do it with me now! Do it with me!" I had to rewind it just to make sure it was really Stephon Marbury on there. So, I present Steph with the "Interview of the Century" Hibachi Award!

Congrats to Marbury.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 15, 2007; 1:57 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's GroupThink Redskins Story: Scarface
Next: Gilbert, the Gil Zero and the Mystics

Comments

Why would that reporter in LA report that Nick Young himself said this, he just wanted to start a rumor. He was successful, he got people talking.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Wonder when Gilbert is going to answer his cell phone in the middle of an interview and say, "What do you mean my XBox live subscription expired? Renew it now then!"

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 15, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert owns a couple houses in the area, one on Gtown Pike in Great Falls, and another down the road in Reston, where his childern's Mother and his kids live. That house in next door to a family friend, and that's how I know. Gilbert has had a ton of work done to his house in Great Falls so I would be surprized if he rented that one out. My guess is his Kids and their Mother moved back out west (where they are from) and he is renting that house to Nick Young.

Posted by: Dominic | August 15, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I love me some Gilbert

/has that been established?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 15, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Yes the "muslim comment" is highly disrespectful, I excpected something better from Gil...

Posted by: Mehdi | August 15, 2007 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone read the new blog Gilbert posted today? I found it strange how he would just say his daughter is living with him and not his son and daughter lives with him. Something is missing from this picture.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 15, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Hey Mehdi, he was definitely just trying to be funny, I'm not sure who that guy was but he and Gil were obviously friendly, I think if you could have heard his tone of voice it probably would have made more sense.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | August 15, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahaha....Gil was right about that youtube...

Posted by: R | August 15, 2007 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Okay Dan sorry I got it the wrong way...I really thought that the "team employee" was unpleased by that comment, but now that I read the text again and tried to imagine Gil being funny saying this it's all right it was certainly just for laugh. Thank's ;)

Posted by: Mehdi | August 15, 2007 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Actually Gil said that the house is empty and the family is with him now. I guess this means his baby mama and son as well. I sure hope so. They deserve to raise the kids together as a family and be happy doing it.

Posted by: flashy | August 16, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Well I know he's always had the daughter with him and talks about her all of the time. He even has pics of her on his myspace page. He brought her out to Vegas for the Allstar game, he had a friend baby sit for him so he could hang out. The mother has always been a no topic of conversation for him.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 16, 2007 10:48 AM | Report abuse

You're right!! He rarely mentions the mother. Or if he does, he'll say her "mother" not his girlfriend or whatever.

Posted by: flashy | August 17, 2007 8:52 AM | Report abuse