Jason Campbell: Fake Fake Fake Fake Fake

The great question in the media room the past several days--aside from whether Sean Taylor will ever speak with us--is whether Jason Campbell's NFL.com fantasy football commercial (above) is real or computer-assisted.

From the beginning, I said fake fake fake fake fake fake. A team spokesman, however, has been insisting that he watched in person as Campbell executed the trick for an NFL.com crew. Jason "sell me a timeshare in Boca" LaCanfora decided to buy the party line:

I am just enough of a rube to actually buy it. Others here in the media room, especially The Mad Bogger, Dan Steinberg, the Brandon Lloyd of NFL experts, say no flippin' way. Calls BS on it. Sez it's totally fake. I got JC's back, I'm buying in, he wouldn't deceive us, would he?

People on ExtremeSkins also jumped on board:

IT IS REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kelli Johnson just said it is real........and Jason did it on the 2nd take. OMG.......we have a winner in JC!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

Today, I determined the truth would be revealed.

Fellow quarterbacks--none of whom had seen the commercial--were asked whether such a feat were possible.

"I've never even tried," Todd Collins Campbell said. "Maybe I'll try tomorrow; then I'll have a better answer for you."

"I used to do this as a kid; you throw the ball and I'll try to hit it," rookie Jordan Palmer said. "It's doable, but to split it and go perfectly to two guys? I mean, you can answer that, can't you? That's ridiculous."

Finally, I found Campbell signing autographs for his adoring fans and asked the crucial question. "Did you hit it, did you hit it?" the adoring fans also asked, knowing immediately what I was talking about.

"Yeah," Campbell said.

"Yeahhhh, I knew that was real," one of the adoring fans said.

"I don't believe you dude," I said.

"You don't believe me?" he asked.

"Jason, I believe you," the adoring fan said.

I asked a total of 10 follow-up questions, but was stonewalled at every turn. His answers included "it's all about being creative," "see, I can't answer that, then people would get mad," and "it's a mystery, unsolved." I asked what I should tell the world; "just tell them to observe what they see and have their own opinion," he said. There was a lot of laughing involved. That was good enough for me.

Then Campbell was snatched up by the media mob; the first question, naturally, was about the commercial. He told the mob that the stunt required 25 or 50 takes, and that the whole point of the ad was to leave people wondering, to leave the mystery unsolved.

"Just go home try it out in your backyard," he urged us. "If you hit it, I'll give you $10."

I mean, he was mastering the art of spin before our very eyes. The next question was about Antwaan Randle El's frequent jabs at his playcalling diction. "Antwaan has little ears," Campbell said. "He's got to get some bigger ears so he can hear."

(He was also asked whether his ad was similar to LeBron James and the full-court shot; "I can do that one," Campbell said. "Anything's possible.")

(And Todd Collins compared the passing stunt to Tiger Woods and the famous golf ball trickery. "That sounds a lot harder, hitting a golf ball," Collins said. "Really?" I asked. "Well, I'm not a professional golfer," he said.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 2, 2007; 6:57 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Fred Smoot Interview
Next: Jon Jansen's RV

Comments

Hmm. On his second throw, the shadow of the football seems to disappear. Hmm again.

Posted by: Reader Glenn | August 2, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Why must you stomp on our beliefs?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 2, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I love it... name me another town where the first question to the starting qb after the 5th day of training camp is about it fantasy football commercial ... 2nd worst sports town my ass ...

Posted by: littles | August 2, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, gimme some feedback my comment to JLC's post:

JLC, did you just call Steinz the "Brandon Lloyd of NFL experts"? For real!?!

AHAHHAHAHAHHAHA

I realize you probably meant that in a very complimentary and funny way, but if I was the Mad Bogger, I would be extremely offended. After bLloyd's 2006 season, I wouldn't want to be known as the "Brandon Lloyd" of ANYTHING!!

I kid... I kid...

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | August 2, 2007 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who thinks Antwaan Randle El has antagonized Campbell to the point where they might brawl on the sidelines before the third game of the season?

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | August 2, 2007 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll sleep tonight, but have no dreams...because D-Steinz has so brutally crushed them.

Posted by: DD | August 2, 2007 10:41 PM | Report abuse

That's as real as Jason is charismatic.

Posted by: Kim | August 2, 2007 11:53 PM | Report abuse

Meaningless ad spot
Distracts from real desire:
Real TDs, real games

Posted by: HaikuMan | August 3, 2007 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Isn't a haiku supposed to have a nature image in it somewhere?

Posted by: Lindemann | August 3, 2007 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Real Real Real Real Real

Posted by: DC Optimist | August 3, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

DC Sports Bogger is a robot in real life.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | August 3, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

when two are open
hope he makes a decision
fake grass in winter

Posted by: CreditZard | August 3, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

If you can touch them, they are real.

Posted by: onside kick | August 3, 2007 11:33 AM | Report abuse

It's a promo for FANTASY football. Get real people.

Posted by: Bart | August 3, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Haikuman, Bucktown, what would Jasno say? tsk tsk

Posted by: Zebra | August 3, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. This is unpossible.

Posted by: Blackaces | August 3, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Definitely fake. Aside from the shadow issues, if you look at the other ads of the same vein, you'll see the whole thing is just like the lebron ad (or the powerade ads for mike vick and the crazy surfing stunt). The other ads are even more ridiculous especially the mike nugent & braylon edwards spots.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 3, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Random haiku here
Posts on RI, Nats Journal
Prompts some Sports Blog love

Posted by: HaikuMan | August 4, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

If its fake why would it have taken 50 takes?

Posted by: ninjatickets.com | August 5, 2007 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Good call Dan, I was one of the commenters who said it was fake on there. The bounce doesn't look realistic.

Posted by: Andrew from Colonial Hoops | August 6, 2007 12:31 PM | Report abuse

You can't get that kind of bounce just bouncing the balls off each other.

Specifically, the balls would still be going forward instead of just splitting off to the sides. The total momentum has to be conserved, and both balls have forward momentum, which they can't lose by hitting another ball also going forward. Also, they won't both be knocked down like that - the total vertical monentum also has to stay the same, so if one gets knocked downwards, the other goes upwards or at least goes down less steeply than it was going.

Ever play knockout? You can hit someone else's basketball all the time, and never do both balls go down at that kind of angle. Usually, it's one getting knocked down and the other getting knocked up into the air.

Posted by: D | August 6, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse