Ted Leonsis vs. Steve Czaban, Part XVIIVIXVIX

I'm going to summarize this fight for those who haven't been paying attention. It's an awesome, awesome fight, a fight made for the Interwebnetebays, a fight that has left me feeling much more enlightened, and happy once again to make my living writing about sports.

Ted Leonsis: I went to the D.C. United Beckham game and there were a lot of people and Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin ignored it, that was a stupid business decision.

BigSoccer: Yay Ted! Boooooo 980! We hate Czaban!

Caps Boards: Yay Ted! Boooooo 980! We hate Czaban!

Ted Leonsis: Plus, 980 is our customer! We pay them! And still they're rude to us. Weird.

Ted Leonsis: Also, the ratings for 980 don't impress me, not at all. 4,200 people in morning drive-time? Ptthhtthpthpt. I'll bet even stupid washingtonpost.com old-media sports blogs can get more traffic than that. Anyhow, knowing this, they really really really shouldn't ignore everything non-Redskins the way they do.

Ted Leonsis: OMG OMG OMG my ratings are spiking! I'm crushing 980 under my heels! I'll betcha the Caps blogosphere is a bigger community than all D.C. sportstalk radio listeners combined. By the way, how many blog items do I have to post before Czabe will deign to respond?

Steve Czaban: Ok, here goes, blah blah blah, ratings, demographics, marketing, sports town, Detroit, blah blah, "it is what it is" (yeah, he really wrote that), NHL ratings, niche sport, blah blah blah, "I'm not here to brag, haggle over numbers, or to rip the owner of our hockey team that has a bona fide mega-star in Alex Ovetchkin [sic] surrounded by a bunch of extras from the movie "Slapshot." Btw, how is it possible that no one ever hired me to be a professional writer? I'm, like, the Mencken of sportstalk radio.

Caps Nut: Ted, you got pwned. The Redskins crush you in every way. The Redskins Insider crushes Caps Insider. (Very true, although worth noting that Soccer Insider often beats Redskins Insider.) Plus, you need 980. You're embarrassing yourself. Stop.

Melt Your Face Off: No way, get 'em, Ted. You're winning! You're metaphorically beating Czabe up until his face bleeds and his nose gets crooked and his teeth fall out! What a dork he'll look like then! Who would like a man with a beaten-up face?

FanHaus: Whoo-hoo! Media throwdown! Look at the middle-aged white men squabbling! Pass the chips! Do we have a caller on Line 3?

Off Wing Opinion: Wait a second, I wrote the above post on FanHaus, I'm not allowed to say anything else.

On Frozen Blog: Local broadcasters have an obligation to pump up all area teams and make Washington a better place for sports fans! Also, they should fix the federal government's entitlement crisis. Also, Czabe's a doof.

Japers Rink: Hmmm, at least this whole thing has people talking hockey in August. Wonder if this stunt was sort of manufactured to drive blog ratings for everyone. Also, I like Lindsay Czarniak.

Capital Addiction: I hate when people bash hockey!!! No way is soccer, of all sports, more popular than hockey!!!

D.C. Sports Bog: Wait a second, didn't this whole thing start with Ted Leonsis writing about how popular soccer is? And now people are blogging, in his defense, about how soccer really isn't that popular, certainly not as popular as hockey????? Pretty soon the Leonsis defenders will be defending 980's ratings, while Czabe's minions will be writing in support of the NHL.

Caps Nut: Why are hockey fans so angry? Why do they have this inferiority complex? Face it, we're inferior as of right now. Not the end of the world. Also, Ted's targeted marketing ain't no different from 980's. I will keep attempting to be reasonable in a discussion not based on reason. Please listen to me. Jerks.

Ted Leonsis: People e-mail me! They like me! Now 980, diversify or die. Otherwise we're launching CapsBlogRadio next week, and we won't talk about the Redskins at all. Our ratings are gonna rule, assuming every single person who has ever paid for a Caps ticket decides to listen.

By Dan Steinberg  |  August 17, 2007; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , D.C. United , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama Balling
Next: Competitive Pizza Eating Comes Back to Greenbelt

Comments

Reason #648 why DC isn't a good sports town.

The sports talk radio in this town is a joke, but for an owner to ignite this is childish and just show's Teds frustration.

Ted and his trailer park messageboarders want the media to say YEA CAPS, and when they do, they yell because it wasn't sincere or it wasn't loud enough. Ted has this blog that you can respond to, but he's not man enough to post altering opinions when he's called out. He goes on a tangent and brings stats about his blog vs. WTEM radio listeners. Come on Ted. Why not put those efforts into filling Verizon Center with Caps fans instead of home games with road atmospheres?

This is ridiculous and not what we need headed into what should be a strong year on the ice.

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: You forgot Frozen BLog | August 17, 2007 2:01 PM | Report abuse

bravo Steinz

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 17, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

maybe he didn't

Posted by: Anonymous | August 17, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

I dont understand why this is only a Redskins town...When was the last time they won something? 1992?
If it's about cheering a winning team, everyone should be cheering for DC United. If it's about Cheering over paid mediocrity with a bumbling Jerry Jones wanna be, then I guess DC is cheering for the best team in that category...

And how did they get the Moniker of Sports Reporters? They are not reporters, maybe they should change it to Sports Opinions...

Posted by: KraziJoe | August 17, 2007 2:15 PM | Report abuse

"I dont understand why this is only a Redskins town..."

LOL, what?

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Hi caphcky!

Admit it, you looooove us trailer park messageboarders. Otherwise, why would you flog yourself by re-registering there again and again and again and again and again and again and again, after every time you get banned? I notice you just got banned again. What will your new name be, when you inevitably come back and register again?

Posted by: norske | August 17, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Czaban is wrong, but Leonsis isn't the one to be telling him. It wasn't that long ago that he would occasionally come on the radio with them and [gasp] discuss the Caps among other things.

Redskins 1st? Ok sure, that's a no brainer. But Redskins first and always to the exclusion of everyone else? No, that's idiotic and goes a long way towards explaining the piss poor ratings for both Sports Talk stations. WTEM made a great [and obvious] decision when they beefed up the local lineup on their station after Snyder launched his own network to try and spin the mess he has turned that franchise into - but maybe they can't make any real progress without new blood. And that will never happen.

I think it's time for Ted Leonsis to go buy himself a radio station - or six.

Posted by: Prophet | August 17, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

How interesting/ironic is it that "Caps Nut" and "Czabe" both have blogs where you're not allowed to enter comments? Anyone ever seen these two in the same place at the same time?

Posted by: Joe Bob | August 17, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Who are you?
You must own a trailer....:)

Doesn't it make you sleepy to hear
your owner fight with the media like
a poor little victim?

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg has met me and can vouch that I am not Steve Czaban.

Furthermore, what's the deal with the whole commenting thing? It that the best shot anybody can take at me?

Posted by: Caps Nut | August 17, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Caps Nut, but I've never met Czabe. So maybe you are him.

And no, I'm not inclined to like Caps Nut just b/c he's the only one praising the WaPo in this discussion. Really.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | August 17, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Well, we could say you are a Caps fan, but that's not fair...

Posted by: KraziJoe | August 17, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, can you translate this into Swahili, please?

Posted by: Blackaces | August 17, 2007 2:43 PM | Report abuse

6,000 blog visitors in one day?

looks like sports bloggers the world over have a new target to hit!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 17, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Ive been alone with you
Inside my mind
And in my dreams Ive kissed your lips
A thousand times
I sometimes see you
Pass outside my door
Hello!
Is it me youre looking for?
I can see it in your eyes
I can see it in your smile
Youre all Ive ever wanted
And my arms are open wide
Because you know just what to say
And you know just what to do
And I want to tell you so much
I love you

I long to see the sunlight in your hair
And tell you time and time again
How much I care
Sometimes I feel my heart will overflow
Hello!
Ive just got to let you know
Because I wonder where you are
And I wonder what you do
Are you somewhere feeling lonely?
Or is someone loving you?
Tell me how to win your heart
For I havent got a clue
But let me start by saying I love you

Hello!
Is it me youre looking for?
Becuase I wonder where you are
And I wonder what you do
Are you somewhere feeling lonely?
Or is someone loving you?
Tell me how to win your heart
For I havent got a clue
But let me start by saying I love you

Posted by: Allsmoke | August 17, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

"6,000 blog visitors in one day?

looks like sports bloggers the world over have a new target to hit!"

Very impressive. Now Ted, try and get that
many Caps fans at a home game and quit cryin.

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Sorry to disappoint you Caps Nut. I don't "blog," therefore I don't "take shots." I'm sure someone else can take you up on that, though.

Posted by: Joe Bob | August 17, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Do Steve Czaban and Andy Pollin have a posse?

Posted by: Kim | August 17, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

First of all, Leonsis raised some serious points, so Steinberg is a jackass to make a joke of it. Second, Czaban's response oozes arrogance and obnoxiousness. If he reflects the views of his station, it is pretty sad for DC sports.

Posted by: Joe | August 17, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm retarded.............

roundthedasher has spoken!

Posted by: ykchpac | August 17, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Joe;
I gotta know (this I gotta read)
please tell me what those serious
points are?

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"First of all, Leonsis raised some serious points, so Steinberg is a jackass to make a joke of it."

Uh Joe, nobody died. I think it's ok to have fun with this. You could just go read the Times, based on their readily apparent views on humor and general entertainment value.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 17, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

BTW, I mentione Swahili, because I want to see the Bog go international. I hear Steinz is huge in Nairobi.

Posted by: Blackaces | August 17, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it amazing all this networking and reaching out for attention. All these high roller sports figures want to be international with their blogs and crap, but they can't get a sniff in their own back yard. That says alot about "The Most Powerful City in The World".

That irks just like America's Team for that football team in Texas.

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I too think Leonsis raised some serious points. It goes to the big picture of what kind of sports town DC is and what kind of sports town it could be. Czaban and Pollin are emblematic of the bad in DC sports.

Posted by: Jim | August 17, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Its a fine line between ridiculous and serious in this town.

This has ALWAYS been the case and Ted has
decided to whine about it.

Maybe it will work, but I just find it silly because he's not done anything yet to warrant EXTRA/SUPER coverage of his team.

Shut up and win and EVERYBODY will talk about ya Ted!

Posted by: caphcky | August 17, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

What can I say....August is a slooow news time for hockey bloggers. We get excited over any news at all, especially fights!

Posted by: Cap Addiction | August 17, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

CPhcky, what the hell are you talking about?

Posted by: Blackaces | August 17, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Is it me, or is this "Bog" just filled with non-news every day? I understand that they probably want an irreverent "Bill Simmons" type, but the material on here is just dull. Whether it's posting grainy video of some DC United player smashing a pumpkin, or just cutting and pasting the commentary from another website/blog, this is a daily waste of space. Someone with his access and forum could be doing so much more. I hope the Post doesn't pay this guy much.

Posted by: AndNone | August 17, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Nah "AndNone," don't worry, I just get about "$6.50 an hour," not even a "living wage" in this town. In fact, I'll gladly "trade jobs" with you. Send an e-mail. Thanks.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | August 17, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Stop using the offensive "nickname" of the Washington NFL Franchise. You may as well be saying "Washington [N-word]." If that offends you, so should "Washington
R_ _ _ _ _ _ s." Get a clue. It's beyond ridiculous that African-Americans still use this term.

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | August 17, 2007 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Whatever Steinz gets paid, it's enough to afford that badass minivan of his. Dan, did somebody really steal your van? That's a bummer. You should hit up Mike Wise for some cash and pimp it out. Imagine it on hydraulics!

Posted by: Blackaces | August 17, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

@ AndNone

"Is it me"

yes, just you

Posted by: onside kick | August 17, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

"Now 980, diversify or die. Otherwise we're launching CapsBlogRadio next week, and we won't talk about the Redskins at all."

Wow, if I only COULD find a radio/audio option that talks sports and doesn't ever talk about football.
On my personal top ten list of sports to watch/listen/discuss, football would be about #145.

Posted by: Football is Boring | August 17, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Arlington P---, your name offends me

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | August 17, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

"6,000 blog visitors in one day? looks like sports bloggers the world over have a new target to hit!"

Hey now, not every blog can be as powerful and far-reaching as KSK. The Gay Mafia rules all.

Posted by: Right Winger | August 17, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins,
Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins, Redskins

Posted by: Jim | August 17, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Czaban's response oozes arrogance and obnoxiousness. [sic]

"Arrogance and obnoxiousness" is the whole point of that show. Andy Pollin couldn't be more contemptuous of his listeners (football fans included) if he tried - the guy is clearly stuck with a career choice he regrets and can't figure a lateral move out of. It's hard to believe Clear Channel doesn't understand how badly WTEM is underperforming the potential of a sports radio station in this town - a sports station that can't attract someone like me as a listener has truly blown it.

Posted by: son of liberty | August 18, 2007 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Son of Liberty, you are SOOOOO right. Pollin is as condescending and arrogant as it gets. Plus, he's dead wood at that station and is not with the program. By the way, when are Pollin and Czaban going to talk about Whitlock's column in which he revealed that Wilbon is John Thompson's puppet?

Posted by: Jim | August 18, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

just remember...

Andy Polley compares listeners to cockroaches that scurry about when you turn the lights on.

I think both Ted and SC have valid points.

Ted thinks that the flagship station carrying his games would talk about his team, every so often.

SC thinks that hockey talk is bad for ratings, which is his job.

Posted by: outside the beltway | August 18, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I'd support the Washington Majs or the Washington Steinbergs, but beyond that I think the fact that it offends people is a good reason to KEEP the name Washington Redskins.

In other news I've burned down AndNone's house. You will come out no more!

Posted by: Skin Patrol | August 18, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Caps Nut's blog is clueless. It ISN'T just a question of coverage, although that is important. It is also a question of people like Czaban and Pollin going out of their way to mock and ridicule sports like soccer and hockey and their fans. They even ridicule baseball fans. I'll never take that lying down and will scream bloody murder to the program director every time they do it. I'd suggest others who care do likewise.

Posted by: Jim | August 18, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Wow,

Now I really do miss all that Beckham coverage...

Posted by: B.A. | August 18, 2007 10:32 PM | Report abuse

See, this crap is why I've pretty much kept my blog out of all this mess. In a pissing match at 2 feet, nobody wins.

Posted by: FS | August 19, 2007 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Whoever the hell FS is, he's a doofus. Your blog deserves to be pissed on, I suspect.

Posted by: Jim | August 19, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Like Cap Addiction said--it's August. What do you expect us hockey bloggers to write about?

Posted by: Melt Your Face-Off | August 19, 2007 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I've been on vacation -- did I miss something?

Posted by: Beau Dure | August 19, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I'm offended that Czaban invoked the name of H.L. Mencken in a description of himself.

Boo sir. BOOOOOOO!

Posted by: Eric in Baltimore | August 19, 2007 5:42 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, that was kinda funny until you presented Caps Nut the voice of reason... on second thought, that was the funniest thing you typed.

Posted by: Yawn | August 19, 2007 11:24 PM | Report abuse

"To every thing there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."

I don't mind that the local media spend an enormous amount of time discussing the Redskins--they have been the most stable sporting institution in the region. But I do mind that somehow Redskins preseason *speculation* seems to trump actual, regular-season *action* on the local media agenda.

I mean, honestly. It's still August: tourists are still collapsing of heat exhaustion. That means it's baseball season and MLS season, and I want to hear about how the DC teams are doing. When the weather turns, then I will be ready to be a Redskins fan again. And as the nights get longer, I'll return once again to the Wizards and maybe the Caps.

But instead of a nice, orderly procession of seasons, we end up with irrelevant pre-pre-pre-season nonsense about the Redskins.

Of course, if the 'skins were to dominate the post-season in the same way that they completely own the pre-season, I might not necessarily have grounds to object to round-the-clock Redskins coverage.

Posted by: ouij | August 20, 2007 8:15 AM | Report abuse

51 comments!
the lesson?
blog wars are awesome!

Posted by: littles | August 20, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it. Neither Leonsis or Czaban are the future of sports media. All hail the Bog!

Posted by: gidge | August 20, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I listen to 980 whenever Czaban is NOT on the air. It's even better when Poland is off air with him. Other than those 2, I'll listen to any other 980 programming on any sports issue, even though I'm not a hockey, soccer or baseball fan.

Posted by: FW | August 20, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Jesus, how funny is all of this? Seriously, has anyone really stopped to think about it for a second? How do we know this isn't just a ruse put on by Czaban and Leonsis to make all of you go apesh*t and talk about hockey in August? That would be awesome. But Czaban wouldn't do it because he's a d|ck. Unless someone paid him off.

My thought, though, is this. If WTEM's ratings are such crap, why does Leonsis care about what they talk about? And if Czaban is pulling in $$ while broadcasting to a limited audience that includes hadly any hockey fans, why should he care what Leonsis thinks? (Though it seems like he might not anyway)

Personally, if anyone wants to listen to hockey coverage in August (and certainly there have to be a couple more freaks like me that do) then stop being cheap and buy a freaking XM radio and listen to the hockey channel there. At least now they talk about the Caps (or maybe that's because the team wisely bought some good will by sending the folks up there a bunch of freak shirts/hats/stuff with the new logo).

Oh, and I've met both Czaban and Caps Nut and I can definitely tell you they are not one in the same. On the other hand, if Czaban shaved his head he might look like Steinberg...

Posted by: Jay | August 20, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

I think, Jay, the issue is the lost business opportunity in sports and sports marketing in the Washington Metro region by the myopic programming and subject choices at WTEM. They have failed to grasp that while there are tens of thousands of 'Skins fans, many of them obviously do not listen to WTEM on a consistent basis, and to shun other sports in favor of a single 16 game a year season is ludacrious (yes, I am not counting pre-season, or LOL, playoffs).

WFAN and other big market sports talk stations give weight to the major teams and sports in their respective cities. Why WTEM fails to grasp this and have more discussion on the Nats, Caps and United (not to mention Mystics, etc) is beyond me, and clearly beyond folks like Ted Leonsis, who are well versed in cross-marketing opportunies.

Posted by: Just Wow | August 21, 2007 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Just Wow, questions for you...

My point stands, Ted was ridiculing WTEM because their traffic is so minimal. But then if that is his criticism, why does he care if they choose to go that direction? Would it satisfy everyone if WTEM renamed itself WSKINS? It wouldn't change anything.

You say "tens of thousands of 'Skins fans, many of them obviously do not listen to WTEM on a consistent basis". How do you know? Do the books break down the listenership by the club they support? Or are you saying that because their numbers are so bad? And if that is the case, and you are suggesting the listenership is proportional to the demographics of the regions sports supporters, then how many Caps fans are you suggesting are regular listeners? Surely can't be many. Perhaps more are Nats fans, but WTEM does talk more Nats than Caps. So maybe, just maybe, their topics covered are proportionate to the number of listeners that are fans of particular sports?

And a big LOL to your WFAN comparison, does that mean you are comparing the fan support (in terms of total number) of the collective Rangers, Devils and Islanders to the Caps? I don't even think you could compare any of the three individually, much less collectively.

My point here isn't to criticize the Caps, hockey, the Nats, Wizards, etc. I'm simply pointing out that calling out a radio station for having poor listenership and then complaining about what they talk about because it biasing the content is funny.

Posted by: Jay | August 21, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Leonsis's point was that WTEM has minimal traffic and it could do better by appealing to fans in addition to Redskins fans. And Leonsis cares because he's PAYING the FRIGGIN' STATION to COVER CAPS GAMES. He does not feel like he's getting his money's worth, obviously. And Jay doesn't have a clue about NY area hockey either. Neither the Islanders nor the Devils draw flies. Only the Rangers make money in that market.

Posted by: Joe | August 21, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Joe,
Firstly, Leonsis is NOT paying WTEM to cover the Caps. He's paying for airtime to air whatever he wants (and he chooses to air Caps games). They are obligated to do nothing more than let him broadcast during a window of airtime. In fact, there is very little financial benefit for them to promote the Caps game since Ted gets all the revenue from advertising sold during the time window because he purchased the time. The only benefit is if listenership during that window goes up they could ask leonsis for more money, but that's just unlikely. So get your facts straight.

And to claim I know nothing about hockey in the NY area, how many games have you been to in that area? I have been to each and every arena in the NHL, I have met fans from all teams and I know exactly what the teams support are and how many people they draw. The Islanders have a much bigger fan base than the Capitals. It is my belief the Devils do as well, but its much closer. Do you listen to WFAN in NYC? If you do, how much time do they spend talking hockey? How much time do they devote to the Devils and Islanders? And if you are judging by who makes money, both the Islanders and Devils do better than the Caps, chief. To clue you in, we weren't talking about who makes more money, we were talking about fan support. And my comments were that all three combined blow the Caps away, which is, of course, unfair because comparing three to one is ridiculous. However if you look at the total fan base of the Islanders and Devils individually I promise you the size is not lower than the size of the Caps fan base.

Posted by: Jay | August 21, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

WTEM sucks, If your a true soccer fan get Sirius radio. Vamos United!!!! Go Caps!!! P.S. Steinberg we love you. Barra Brava are D.C.'s best fans.

Posted by: zosodave | August 21, 2007 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: zosodave | August 21, 2007 8:26 PM | Report abuse

You made the comment that all three New York teams INDIVIDUALLY have better fan support than the Caps. I lived on Long Island for YEARS and attended many games in all three NY arenas. The Islanders don't draw flies and the Devils don't either. The attendance figures bear me out, if you care to check them. You have no basis to suggest that either the Islanders OR Devils have better fan support than the Caps. The fan support of all three of those teams could use considerable improvement. But the only New York area team that has better fan support than the Caps is the Rangers.

And your so called facts about WTEM are wrong too. Leonsis is PAYING the station to broadcast AND promote the games. Ever hear a WTEM host say that the station is broadcasting the Caps game that night? Why do you think they do that? Ever hear a promo for the Caps games on the station? That's all part of the deal. For you to suggest that the station could, without breaching the contract, take Leonsis' money and broadcast the games, but otherwise do things to try to limit listenership of the games is ridiculous.

Posted by: Jay | August 22, 2007 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Jay, I might add that you have no clue as to the respective finances of the Caps, Devils and Islanders, so please don't try to tell me "who makes more money."

Posted by: Joe | August 22, 2007 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Joe,
Please feel free to clue me in. How much did each team make last year? Which of the three lost money and which two made money? Please do tell as you obviously know. And feel free to answer my questions about how many games you've attended in he NYC area and what your impressions of the broadcasting patterns of WFAN are. I'm awaiting with baited breath.
Jay

Posted by: Jay | August 22, 2007 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Look at the attendance figures. Get educated. THEN we'll discuss it.

Posted by: Jay | August 22, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jim | August 18, 2007 12:14 PM
_______________________________

I concur, and that's why I don't listen to WTEM aside from Phil Wood's Saturday morning baseball show. It's funny that people in Washington like to put down the Dallas-Fort Worth area as one-dimensional "football country," but I would bet that sports-talk radio in the Metroplex provides far more discussion of the Rangers, Stars and Mavericks than WTEM does of the Nationals, Capitals and Wizards.

Posted by: Vincent | August 23, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

LOL to the fact that at least two posts above aren't by me (Posted by: Jay | August 22, 2007 10:32 AM and Posted by: Jay | August 22, 2007 04:36 PM), does Joe have a complex?

I know what the attendance figures are, and the Devils, Caps and Isles are all bunched together in terms of attendance. However, why don't you hunt down the season ticket base numbers and compare them. I think you might be surprised. The Islanders, though having the lower attendance of the three, have much broader fan support and a bigger season ticket base.

The thing is, you've completely taken the discussion above in a side direction. Perhaps if you were to go back and read the original post I made and submit a reason to me why Leonsis should care about WTEM's coverage if no one listens to them. And don't say he pays for their coverage, he doesn't. He pays for a window of airtime. Why are there promos for it? Because all stations tell you what their schedules are, duh. But WTEM is not paid to talk about the Caps outside of the broadcast window.

And by the way, it ain't hard to find out the numbers in terms of revenue for NHL clubs. Google is your friend, my friend.

Posted by: Jay | August 23, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you're kidding me, right? The REVENUE figures don't tell you anything because they don't tell you anything about the expense side. They're worthless in telling you who made money and who didn't. And the "season ticket base" doesn't tell you squat about overall fan support. Let's face it, you really don't know about this stuff.

As for WTEM, let me try again. Leonsis is paying WTEM to carry his team's games. If WTEM actively takes action to discourage listeners to the games, they would be in breach of contract. Now I'm sure Leonsis would tell you he expects more than that, i.e., that the station would actually promote the team. It's a simple matter of getting what are paying for. Which is why he is p.o.ed. It doesn't matter how many people listen to WTEM, he isn't getting what he thinks he paid for.

Posted by: Joe | August 23, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ted may or may not be getting what he paid for, but WTEM is the only outlet in this market that would bid for his games.

WTEM didn't breach any contract. What Steve/Czabe did was push the button of Caps Community into whining that we were being made fun of. I didn't take it that way. We all run to our blogs and shoot venom at the other side, but in the end, the Caps will start the season and you'll be able to hear it on WTEM if your within their range.
(YAWN!) Much-a-do-about nothing.