Today's Top Five: More on Virginia Tech
1) At FanHouse, MJD feels roughly the same way that I do: this whole Virginia Tech healing-through-football thing just feels a bit unsettling somehow:
I'm not one of the people that believe sports can heal a community. Sports can pleasantly and harmlessly distract a certain segment of the community, and that's certainly a good thing. That's a valuable service, if you happen to be a sports fan. If you're more into knitting, though, you're going to be left out of the healing process on Saturday. Sorry.
I'm of the opinion that actual healing is going to require a little bit more than an Xavier Adibi sack and camouflage-wearing fans making turkey noises.
All of this, mind you, probably won't prevent me from watching at least two ESPN segments about the aftermath and all that, so feel free to call me a hypocrite.
2) Longtime commenter Lindemann pens an epic open letter to Stan Kasten that is pretty much impossible to argue with, except for the gratuitous shot at Screech. Among his arguments: Can the Curly W, get better National Anthem singers, bench "God Bless America," cease the cheer-inhibiting noise-making, banish "Day-O" and "Sweet Caroline," show better replays, get stronger t-shirt guns and sell more half-smokes. And so on.
3) On Frozen Blog surveys the ice-based cheer-type-women of the NHL, and wonders whether the Caps remain "behind the curve, so to speak," which was nicely done. I'm at Kettler Capitals IcePlex Place as we speak, and no ice-based cheer persons are evident.
4) This is from yesterday, but since Gilbert's blogging apparatus was kind enough to link to the Bog, here's a link right back. He talks about Willy Wonka, says Guru Dave Hopla is already improving the team's shooting, and mentions texting with stand-up comedian Ian Edwards, who apparently bears no hard feelings from that plagiarism issue.
5) Finally, I've spent all day thinking about the prospect of purchasing Mike Tyson's various bodily fluids. 100 Percent Injury rate will tell you how.
The comments to this entry are closed.