Ravens vs. Redskins

This looks sorta like Redskins Park, vaguely.

Greetings from Owings Mills, where the ice cream refrigerator says "Ice Cream is For Media Only," the sodas are free, there are separate bathrooms for men and women, the chairs are plush, the desks are luxurious, the media room is vast, the water is pleasantly chilled, the coffee is pleasantly hot and the central table is stacked high with pizza.

"Like night and day," said an area media member, when he saw my eyes open wide as I entered for the first time.

This has surely been written elsewhere, and some of you will surely ask yourselves "why is he writing about the media fixings, that's such a tired storyline, we don't care about the stupid lives of media members." So I'll keep this short.

"Did you see the putting green out front?" another media member just asked me. No, actually, I hadn't.

As for Redskins Park?

You pay for your sodas, there's one small bathroom that necessitates very stringent rules about how it may be used (if you get my drift), there are long institutional tables for the media members/elementary school students to very closely share--the working equivalent of a bathroom trough--and if you wanted to fit more than 20 or so people in the room, the oxygen levels would start being a concern. I'm sure they would bring us ice cream, if we offered $10 per cone.

"They're refilling the ice cream!" someone out here just told me.

As objective media persons, we're not supposed to take any of this offered free food, and we're certainly not supposed to base our coverage decisions or the tone of our coverage on such trifles as ice cream and plumbing. And I'm here not to stare at complimentary cans of soda, but to listen to a Chad Johnson conference call. I just figured I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the obvious differences between here and Redskins Park.

"We're at your service," one of the PR guys is announcing to the gathered media members right now. Oh, and now he's saying how they did two media training sessions with the players, explaining how important the media members are to their livelihoods.

One more thing: the outside of the Ravens complex looks like a fancy old-school downtown hotel, faux medieval, a little cheesy, but kind of fun. Redskins Park looks like an Ashburn office park, filled with the headquarters for the National Center for The Study of Exurban Growth and companies with names like Dynaflex and Erasure.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 6, 2007; 1:37 PM ET
Categories:  NFL , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Big House is Overrated, and Pirates Don't Say Arrgh
Next: Chad Johnson Says: Bring Popcorn

Comments

Cry me a river. I dont pay high ticket prices (actually, I rarely go to games, but if I did...) so that the Bogman can eat free pizza and have hot coffee. Heck, I put in 50 hours of work at my office and I barely get hot coffee.

If Danny boy spends more money on free crap for the media, how are is he going to keep paying for Archuleta, as well as next years Big Daddy and Bruce Smith.

Posted by: the cheat | September 6, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

On one hand it might make the media feel better about the team, on the other hand the media might end up spending all day drinking the free soda they might end up finding out some real tidbits.

Posted by: Ted | September 6, 2007 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Does the free food make up for the mix of insults and thin gruel Wile E. Billick, Sooper Genius, serves up at his press conferences?

Posted by: DevilGrad | September 6, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Are you guys ready for some football? a/ Heck yeah! b/No way. c/ Just the Cheerleaders d/ Spare me e/ That time already or f/ Not without Vick. Vote today at http://www.pollicious.com

Posted by: JengoPop | September 6, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

And I thought there was a big difference between the Redskins and Wizards.

Welcome to Baltimore, Steinz. Had I known you were coming, it would've been crab cakes all around.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | September 6, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

And the Rugby World Cup kicks off in eleven minutes. What the hell are you doing listening to Cinco Ocho?

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | September 6, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Jengo - A) Hell Yeah

Hey Bog, why not tell use what kind of ice cream. Scoop your own, nutty buddy's / strawbery short cake eclair bars, or soft serv. Know B'more its hurting Domino's pizza.

Bailey's, Ballston, Tonight, Kickoff!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 6, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

This story reminds me of the Seinfeld where Jerry is up in first class sitting next to the Calvin Klein model and Elaine is stuck back in coach.

Posted by: Geoff | September 6, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm, the Washington NFL Franchise is deficient in some way? Really?!? Imagine that. Seems Baltimore continues to show itself as one of the premier organizations in the league (and I dislike saying that, by the way) while Washington founders further under the pseudo-direction of the Danny.
Two words: Not shocking.

Posted by: Naf Sallad | September 6, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Seems Baltimore continues to show itself as one of the premier organizations in the league"

Oh yeh, coffee and pizza and nice bathrooms you can crap in. Those are three indicators if i've ever seen them. Lets check the quality of the paper towels in the canteen! What company details the players'cars?

Seriously, if Danny pays a team that wins a Super Bowl, I could care less if the media has to stand outside in the snow to write stories from Skins park, borrowing wireless from a 15 year old gamer down the block. I pay my 35 cents for the Post every day and i wish you the best of luck writing stories, but I could really care less how the Skins dont pay off media with free ice cream.

Posted by: the cheat | September 6, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

did they have choco tacos? because if they did i'm throwing away my arizona cardinals t-shirt and becoming a raven 4 LIFE!!

Posted by: eric jonathan martin | September 6, 2007 9:25 PM | Report abuse

Yo cheat, I was just sort of joking. I had no ice cream, no soda, no water, no coffee, no extended trip to the bathroom, no bathroom mouth wash (yes, the bathrooms have mouthwash). I try to avoid such things when possible, although I did try the pizza.

It doesn't affect me at all one way or the other--I don't cover sports for the inexpensive sodas, since I'm worried about cavities--but the difference between the two set-ups was pretty striking and I thought a few people might be interested.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 6, 2007 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Last time I checked, the Skins were still the most valuable franchise in all of sports. So obviously Danny-boy is doing something right.

Posted by: AlecW81 | September 7, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse