Taylor's Hair, and Throwback Uni Pics

Taken from TV, courtesy of Murf.

(Throwback uni pics below.)

Sean Taylor was walking around today with the hair still picked out. As previously mentioned, it's possibly the greatest look in the history of organized tackle football. Since Taylor and I have a great relationship--I once asked him whether he thought officials were picking on him, and he countered by asking if I thought they were picking on me--I asked him whether the hair would remain out this week. He didn't respond.

I later saw him walking into a meeting room and asked him again whether he would keep his hair the same way this week. In response, Taylor turned to Vinny Cerrato, who happened to be standing nearby.

"Hey man, are you going to keep your hair like that this week?" Taylor asked Cerrato. "I like it, it's a good look."

Then he left. It was an interesting interaction. Figuring this meant I wasn't going to get a hair report from Taylor, I instead got a hair report from his teammates.

This week's uniforms.

"He came in Sunday for walk-through with the big old fro," said the massively coiffed offensive lineman Kili Lefotu. "I guess he was trying to outdo me, because I had my 'fro before. But his has got me by at least a couple inches. He can rock it. Not too many people can rock the fro, but he can rock it."

Nearby was Byron Westbrook, who, at least briefly in the preseason, also had the braids out and the fro popping.

"I mean, you've just got to let it flow sometimes," Westbrook said today. "It's tougher to put that big old bush in that helmet, but once it gets in there it keeps you warm."

Mike Sellers--wearing an "I Didn't Come Here to Lose" t-shirt--reported that he actually had a fro once upon a time, when he had braids of his own.

"That's just the lazy man's look, that's all," he said of Taylor's stylings. "I like it, it makes him look mean."

Others agreed that the hair somehow fit Taylor's football style. This was the point made several times by Khary Campbell, who actually debuted a modest mohawk for the Eagles' game.

"He's the type of guy that can play with that hair, you know what I mean, because he has a big presence on the field," Campbell said. "So with the big hair, running around, flying around like that, it goes well together....I think he's all about playing football, and the hair is just there and he's going to work."

I asked fellow safety LaRon Landry whether he thought the look was intimidating to opponents.

"Oh I don't know, I'm not sure, I don't know what goes on in these other guys' heads," Landry said. "But if he like it, I love it."

(Btw, here was Cerrato, on the hair: "I didn't really pay attention to it.")

But if you think that was the only fashion news today at the park, you're wrong. Horribly, horribly wrong. The throwback uniforms that will be used against the Giants this week were out, with blazing yellow helmets hanging from each locker. And thanks to my comrades in the television industry, who have a knack for this sort of thing, the one-liners were flowing.

This week's helmet.

"Well, canary yellow's always been my color, so I for one am thrilled to be wearing the canary yellow," Pete Kendall said.

"I think I'm going to look good in yellow and white," center Casey Rabach added. "It'll definitely accentuate my physique, and make my hips look a little smaller."

I said I thought it would be tough to look good in that much yellow; "we'll make it work," Jason Campbell promised. "We'll make it work."

"If we look good, we play good," Rock Cartwright said. "But it doesn't matter how we look as long as we win the football game, that's the main thing. Guys like the burgundy uniforms, but coach likes what he likes. We're going to wear whatever he say we've got to wear, and that's how it is."

(Watch the full report on Comcast SportsNet tonight.)

Reverse angle!

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 19, 2007; 4:27 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Jason Campbell on McNabb's Comments
Next: Mike Sellers on Andre Carter

Comments

For the love of God be careful Steinz.

An angry man I'm sure you can handle, an angry man with an afro can have devastating repercussions.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | September 19, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

The yellow pants and yellow helmets are solid gold. Gold I tell ya!

Posted by: onside kick | September 19, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am thrilled that Pete Kendall knows how to make a great quote and is a monster on the line. Great addition to the team

Posted by: chimpanzee rage | September 19, 2007 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Is it impossible to force a permanant change to these unis?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I like the unis. The red R looks tight.

Posted by: greg | September 19, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Stein,

Didn't you ever watch Breakfast Club? Careful man, "You mess with the bull, you get the horns."

Posted by: Skinz | September 19, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I love the uniforms (although not as much as the throwbacks 5 years ago)

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Completely nasty. Perfection.

Posted by: Brendan | September 19, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I dont think Sean Taylor appreciates your style of "reporting", Bog Man. Just sayin...

Posted by: the cheat | September 19, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

The white Jersey/ yellow pants would
look good with the current helmet!

Posted by: George Costanza | September 19, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

What, you like the red R more than the comic book depiction of an indian whose expression says, "I am fueled in life by a mixture of sadness and shame"? Not a true fan.

Posted by: DY | September 19, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's just say it -- Taylor sounds like a real a-hole.

Posted by: Joe | September 19, 2007 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Don't know how many people will respond to this cause it's late in the day but I'm gonna ask it anyway: How do y'all feel about the fact that the Redskins are 2-0 and yet all anyone in the national media seems to be talking about is Donovan McNabb and how much of a shock it is that the Eagles are 0-2.

Part of me wants to see the Skins get their due, but another (more ambitious) part of me wants them to sneek their way into the Super Bowl and pull a "Patriots vs. Rams" on the Pats. God that would be so sweet.

Posted by: Illegal Immigrant | September 19, 2007 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, I think you should do a blog on how Taylor is a b*tch. He can't handle questions from the media, he hides from Gibbs in the offseason, he spits on ppl behind his facemask, etc. Just seems like a p*ssy. We need to delve into this subject further.

Posted by: SKT | September 19, 2007 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Those uni's are sick. If we beat the GIANTS we need to rock these every week.

Posted by: RANDO | September 19, 2007 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Sean Taylor reminds me vaguely of Samuel Jackson's character in Pulp Fiction: cold-blooded and ruthless most of the time, and who knows what he's like the rest of the time, because no one really gets to see him then. Taylor walks around with a chip on his shoulder and he plays the same way. Thank high heaven he's on our team and we never have to play against him.

Posted by: Berkeley Vox | September 19, 2007 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Taylor's comments just remind me how much I appreciate the Wizards. Dan too, I'm guessing.

Posted by: Kev | September 19, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Why is this blog so much better for Skins news than the Skins-specific "Redskins Insider" rag run by JLC?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 19, 2007 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by:

FYI: This is a BOG!

Posted by: WGDC- | September 20, 2007 12:21 AM | Report abuse

too much profanity. he/she should be removed!

Posted by: SKT | September 20, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

ill supersoak that ho that called taylor a bi*ch and possibly eat his children. you dont know him. dont judge him. you on the other hand SKT you seem like a puss. would a puss really spit in the face of michael pittman, have u seen that mans arms? really?

Posted by: sears | September 20, 2007 7:29 AM | Report abuse

"Sean Taylor is a puss" is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have heard since Larry Craig's "wide stance" defense. you should be ashamed of yourself. you and all your generations should immediately convert to being cowgirls fans as i am sure you are the kind of "man" that would wear a star on his chest. God, I feel sick.

Posted by: Skins in Sichuan | September 20, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Cerrato, on the hair: "I didn't really pay attention to it."

Yeah, but that's the same thing he says about scouting players.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 20, 2007 9:28 AM | Report abuse

Let's face it. Taylor is very uncomfortable/awkward with any media.

Posted by: Old D.C. | September 20, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Does anyone know what happens to this uniforms? Are they stored for the next time? Do the Redskins keep an inventory of multiple helmet styles? These would be pretty cool to own.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | September 20, 2007 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Lester: you can purchase a variety of different Redskins helmets here: http://www.riddell.com/MainFrame.aspx?src=FanShopBy.aspx

I would shop around, though. You can usually find better prices.

Posted by: TravisG | September 20, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Skins in Sichuan," you SHOULD feel sick--YOU'RE A WASHINGTON NFL FRANCHISE FAN!

Posted by: Naf Sallad | September 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

I love the yellow, more yellow, I say... they should look like R.Kelly designed them...

Posted by: kwamesnani | September 20, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Gotta love da reaper's attitude. He's a baaad...watch yo mouth.

Posted by: WrongDog | September 20, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the unis.

Posted by: sitruc | September 20, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad people like the Skins' throwbacks so much. I have a feeling the (rumored) new Maryland basketball unis won't be nearly as big a hit.

Posted by: JakeTheSnake | September 20, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I have always liked that helmet, and the even older burgundy and white one with the feather running down the center. something tells me if we lose the depressed indian a lot of the negative talk about our name would be lost with it.

Posted by: Skins in Sichuan | September 20, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

also to "Naf Dallas"(creative!), you are from a low-rent strip mall city of midget skyscrapers and the future home GWBush's Presidential "Libary."

Posted by: Skins in Sichuan | September 20, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

i remember when the redskins always wore gold pants. i would like to see them wear the helmet with the feather down the center of the helmet. when i first them in 1962 they wore those.

Posted by: dennis | September 21, 2007 5:15 AM | Report abuse

Its nice to see the skins in something other than the usual plan white jerseys. Only going with burgundry about 4 times in the last 3 years.... And only when the home time (not us) is wearing their own white jerseys.

Posted by: kam | September 21, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

The bold unis are bad a**. Dan and Joe--don't be skeered to use'em all the time.

Posted by: bigjim | September 21, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

I love Sean Taylor!

Posted by: skins | September 21, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Taylor my favorite current Redskin by far!

Posted by: NEskinsfan | September 21, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

A single stripe on the 'met instead of about 20. Much more football-retro.

Posted by: zpf | September 21, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

The retros rock but only when both teams do it; otherwise it looks weird--usually the team wearing modern ones look the weirdest.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 21, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

This article made my day. Taylor's responses may not have been particularly nice, but they sure made me laugh.

Those uniforms are hot too. Carnary yellow, beeatchs!

Posted by: Vi | September 21, 2007 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Taylor isn't obliged to entertain Steinberg or any other desk jockey out looking for content to fill a page. If he elects to indulge a reporter, fine. But if he ignores them that's fine too. And BTW, I've never gotten the feeling Steinberg carries this sense of entitlement that other reporters espouse if they've -- God forbid -- been shunned by players.

Posted by: gemineye | September 21, 2007 11:19 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the Redskins return to their '72-'79 uniform!! It was the best looking of all of them.

Posted by: redskinryan | September 24, 2007 7:23 AM | Report abuse