Wiz Re-Sign Roger Mason

Hope this wasn't already in our paper, but the Wiz have re-signed Roger Mason, one of the--no, check that, the--friendliest professional athlete I have ever covered, in any sport. Also, a close friend and repartee partner of Brendan Haywood's, which bodes well for Bog purposes. If I'm counting correctly, that gives the Wiz 15 players under contract, including Mike Hall and Donell Taylor, who have non-guaranteed contracts.

He averaged 2.7 points per game in about eight minutes last year, but shot just 33 percent from the field (32 percent from three), numbers which bothered a guy who sees himself as a legitimate scoring threat off the bench. On the other hand, he grew up rooting for the Bullets and is a D.C. kid.

"My heart is in DC," Mason said according to the release. "I feel like I can have a great role with the Wizards and that we have a chance to be a great team this year."

Although, odds are, Mason is too torn up about that Redskins game yesterday to be feeling much joy today. Only partially joking. Also, since everything this day must be Redskins related, don't forget that Mason's dad is Otis Wonsley.

Also, Wiz media day is next Monday. Remember, it was at last year's media day that Gilbert first started talking about his oxygen tent and kicked off the greatest year for blogging in D.C. sports history, according to me, based on no research.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 24, 2007; 1:49 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Daniel Snyder's Media Criticism
Next: This Week's Vegas Oddsmakers' Top 25

Comments

Wonsley is actually Mason's step-father...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 24, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Glad to hear that Roger Mason Jr. was signed by the Wiz. He's a solid veteran and citizen, and should add to the Wiz depth of quality players.

But if his name is Roger Mason Jr. how come Otis Wonsley is his father and not Roger Mason Sr.?

Posted by: cornbread | September 24, 2007 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh how I miss the Wizards. I can't wait for the training camp and post-game reports.

Posted by: thebigc_1982 | September 24, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

What kind of pants do the Mario brothers like to wear?

Denim, Denim, Denim

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | September 24, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

How about asking Roger Mason Jr. about his year playing professional ball in Jerusalem. I'm sure he has something interesting things to say that would make for a fitting blog on the bog...

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2007 4:45 AM | Report abuse

Dr. Roger P. Mason Sr, physician and surgeon passed away several years ago. Wonsley is his step-father.
congrads to the Wiz, I like this pic.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 25, 2007 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Hey, thanks for father clarifications. Sometimes these are touchy issues. I think both Roger and Otis refer to each other as father/son, without the "step" thing, because their relationship is extremely close. But yes, they are not biologically related.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | September 25, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I like this pic also my son had the chance to attend roger mason jr b-ball camp 3 yrs ago and he loved it thanks

Posted by: SFC PARKS US ARMY | September 26, 2007 3:46 PM | Report abuse