B-Lloyd: Everybody Loafs

Running out of Brandon Lloyd photos....

Mister Irrelevant has expertly chronicled five D.C. sports media dust-ups of the past month, but the B-Lloyd vs. media fight appears to be ongoing. As told to WRC's Dan Hellie in a long interview that can be seen here:

"I think people come after every player, because I think the average Joe Blow on the street wants to see the demise of a professional athlete, they want to see it," Lloyd said. That's just the way America is. People watch football to see guys get hit hard. You know, you watch hockey to see a fight. That's just the way we are as human beings, that's what we want to see."

In the meantime, when I chatted with Lloyd the other day, he repeated the story of how he was told he'd been benched because he loafed after that pass was intercepted against the Dolphins. (As he told Hellie, Joe Gibbs came up to him before a practice and said, "You're just not gonna play very much after doing something like that.")

But I asked Lloyd the natural question: why he seemed to give up on that play.

"I mean, that's what I was telling Dan, I was shocked and embarrassed," he explained. "I was shocked that the ball was thrown, and I was embarrassed that I couldn't catch it, that the guy timed his jump better and intercepted it. So I was kind of sitting there like, 'What the...." Right when I snapped out of it, he ran out of bounds. And so for Coach Gibbs to say, 'You're being demoted because you didn't run after the guy with the ball,' I was like, 'Ok.' Because that's what happened. I can't argue that. I was just trying to figure out what I can do from here on to get back in a position where I'm playing more, and the answer is just, 'Continue to work hard.' So that's what I'm doing, and I'm staying where I am. Working hard, everybody works hard. Nobody doesn't work hard. So I just continue going about it how I've been going about it."

Later, I suggested that there must be a reason he continues not to play all that much despite his massive contract.

"Yeah, and I gave you the reason, what I was told was the reason," Lloyd said. "That was the reason. Because I didn't run after the guy after the interception."

One play in one game?

"Ok," he said. "So why is everybody riding me? I said what the truth is. Ask the people who are making these decisions. That was one play, a long time ago. Everybody has a loaf play. Everybody. We all do that, and we all always are gonna do that. It's just the nature of the game. You're always gonna have that one play. Nobody's always hustling every play. It's just, ask the questions to the people that are making decisions."

Now virtually all of you are thinking either "stop writing about this guy, right now" or "lemme find something else to read during my lunch break" or "how are you going to defend this one, Bog? How will you still maintain what D.C. Optimist has brilliantly labeled "B-Lloyalty?"

Well, here's how: there's just a layer of bizarre honesty in something like this that is appealing. Because I ask myself: have I ever had the journalistic equivalent of a loaf play? Try about 400. I posted three short items on Tuesday. I've fallen asleep in my car in the middle of the work day. I spend at least an hour on the clock thinking about fantasy football every week. So do you, probably. We just don't have thousands of fans and dozens of writers there to call us on that. I'm sure Lloyd has lied to my face about various things--just like Gilbert Arenas occasionally tells utter falsehoods--but those guys also refuse to make any bones about something like this: that everybody (or nearly everybody, anyhow) sometimes loafs. Maybe we loafers don't belong in the NFL, I guess.

Anyhow, let's go back to his media criticism.

"I don't agree, I don't agree," Lloyd said of media coverage. "If I was a local writer for a team, I'd be focusing on--partly because I play football--I'd be focusing on things the teams can do to get better. I wouldn't go for so much sleaze, I wouldn't go for that, I'd pick more of the positive things out of the team, the things that a team can do better. Because the things you guys get to do is you guys get to say whatever you want to say, guys get to write whatever they want to write, and nobody comes back and says, 'Hey, you just said we were gonna be 0-6 at this time, at the beginning of the year you said we were gonna be 0-6.' Nobody goes back and corrects those guys."

And to me, much the same; he brought up the Junkies' re-telling of a Kelli Johnson story that implied Lloyd didn't join a receivers work-out organized by Keenan McCardell.

"I mean, I've never really been a fan of sleaze," he said. "It's not that I don't appreciate it, it's that I don't acknowledge it. It's not real. The made-up stories, on the Junkies they were saying Keenan McCardell had a group of guys and I didn't go. Get out of here. Where does she get that from? I never heard of an anonymous source. Like, you can count that? That counts? People not being man enough to say what they feel? I don't see how that counts."

Seriously, if media criticism happens in threes, and if we've had Etan and Lloyd already this week, any bets on who's next? Karl Hobbs maybe?

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 25, 2007; 12:59 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Blog Show Gets Sponsored
Next: Vegas's NFL Power Ratings, and Skins as Dogs

Comments

Enough already. Don't you have anything else to write on. You seem to be infatuated with this guy. You have given him enough coverage. Why don't you cover someone else for a change?

Posted by: JR | October 25, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

so once the wiz start, can you subtract all the b-lloyd articles for fun ones about the wizards rookies.

Posted by: CreditZard | October 25, 2007 1:31 PM | Report abuse

No B Lloyd is not like Gilbert since Gilbert actually gets a lot of playing time (and people actually like him).

Posted by: Sr | October 25, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Jeebus H. How does a guy with exactly 1 catch for 9 yards continue to get this amount of press?

And SR, you left out one more distinction....Gil produces at all-star levels. People forgive athlete eccentricity when they produce, But when they are Loafing crybabies who are mad at the world nobody really cares.

I hope La Canfora rips you again Steinberg.

Posted by: Keino | October 25, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Stein, the whole reason everyone cares & why BL is given so much attention is that the team traded TWO relatively high picks to get him, and then instead of letting him play out the final year of his contract to see if he would be a good fit, immediatley gave him an ENORMOUS extension when they didn't have to. So of course fans wonder what the heck is going on and why this clown isn't contributing when making a move like that clearly says "we love this guy and he can help our team in a huge way and he's one of the top receivers in the league." And the answer is no, he shouldn't be loafing on ANY plays when he's getting paid like that, and deserves to be heavily scrutinized and criticized. If he doesn't like it, tell him to retire immediately, which would be great b/c then the Skins would get all the cap room back which is what's preventing them from cutting him right now.

If he was some lowly reserve WR making the league minimum, NOBODY would care (and he'd already be gone b/c there wouldn't be anything preventing them from cutting him).

Posted by: Mr. Obvious | October 25, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy these articles still Steinz, keep up the good work.
I don't understand what Keino means by 'forgiving' athlete eccentricity. Lloyd liking cigars or rapping has nothing to do with the Redskins. Etan Thomas or any number of other athletes undoubtedly spend just as much time writing poetry or doing community service as Lloyd or Gilbert spend playing video games or abusing teammates with paintballs. Lloyd doesn't need to be forgiven for discussing his hobbies when asked about them any more than Drew Brees needs to be forgiven for handing out goodwill in New Orleans when he could be studying more film. Anyone could spend more time at work than they do, but it doesn't mean that it should be expected.
Lloyd takes all the heat for some reason when the fans should really be angry with management for giving him his contract and then playing him for 10 plays the whole season to date. I hate how they haven't even given him a chance to redeem himself this year when the entire rest of the offense is struggling. The coaching staff refuses to try something new despite everything falling into last years pattern of mediocrity on offense.

Posted by: Hobes | October 25, 2007 2:32 PM | Report abuse

I agree with B Lloyd about the media's (print, radio and TV) infatuation with sleeze. Just listen to WTEM between 4-7. That's just crap! And too often, but not always, this paper harps on whatever negative they can find just because they can. They don't have to.

And it's not just sports but the media in general.

Posted by: FW | October 25, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Hobes, I was referring to this:

"I told Lloyd he reminded me of Gilbert in some ways; "he's a little weird, isn't he?" Lloyd asked. "I'm not weird, I'm normal." Which is exactly what Gilbert would have said. Also, Lloyd plays Rainbow Six: Vegas online against random kids he meets."

Piggy-backing on SRs point, I was opining as to why people (Washington sport fans in particular) like Gilbert and his "weirdness" and do not like Lloyd and his.

Lloyd needs to STFU and play football. Stop whining about the media, stop saying that the average fan cheers for his downfall (Not even remotely the case) and man-up and go sit down and ask Joe Gibbs for another shot.

Posted by: Keino | October 25, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

DS has done a good job of humanizing someone who was made out as demonic. I was definitely rooting for him on Sunday to make a play. He might play (or actually be immature), but as Randy Moss has shown in NE, if you perform all is forgiven. Its not Lloyds fault that the Redskins gave him to much money and gave SF too much to acquire him.

That said, the Lloyd blogs are prolly to frequent at this point...

Posted by: Ledell Eackles | October 25, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

My whole blogging career is one big loaf play off from my day job.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 25, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Dan-

You are the Jerry Rice of the Blogosphere. If you loaf on a piece, we forgive you, because you can point to a body of evidence where you've done outstanding work. We can forgive a loafing. Your loafing is still better than what the majority of us produce on our best days.

I am Brandon Lloyd. If I loaf, I lose 1/3rd of my readers, meaning my mom and my dad find something better to read. I don't have a body of evidence at which to point to permit me to loaf, even once. Mike Espy doesn't get to loaf. Brandon Lloyd shouldn't get to loaf.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | October 25, 2007 8:51 PM | Report abuse

At work I may slack some but I get done what needs to get done. When you are on the football field there is no excuse for giving that low level of effort.

Posted by: Mike | October 26, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse