Brandon Lloyd vs. La Canfora

I swear, I wanted to let this thing die, but then B-Lloyd comes out on the Junkies this morning throwing all sorts of elbows in the general direction of the print media, and I feel myself being dragged back in. B-Lloyd vs. JLC is definitely the new Steinberg vs. JLC (notice to FanHouse and The Big Lead, which covered that past skirmish.) As for me, I'm just a neutral observer in this battle. I've retired from inter-office skirmishes. But jeez, B, you don't make it very easy for a media guy to defend you.

So anyhow, this morning, the Junkies asked in many, many words whether Al Saunders's play-calling was handcuffed by Joe Gibbs.

"Bro, I have no idea," Lloyd said. "I think if you guys as fans don't know this, um, then it's obvious that the 'beat writers'--and I use that with every innuendo possible--the 'beat writers' are doing a disservice to the fans in the community by not asking these questions to the people who can answer them."

Well, that came out of nowhere, didn't it? Ok, I guess technically that was also a shot at Jason Reid, David Elfin, Ryan O'Halloran, Joseph White, Jim Ducibella, John Keim and all the rest, but I couldn't fit all their names into the headline. Oh: also Kelli Johnson. The Junkies said they had her on their program.

"I bet you guys enjoyed that," Lloyd said, laughing, with every innuendo possible.

The Junkies said that Kelli Johnson had told a story about Keenan McCardell doing extra work with every Redskins receiver soon after he signed; every receiver but B-Lloyd.

"That's not true," Lloyd said. "At least, I wasn't informed. If something like that happened, I would have been there, but I didn't even know that happened. This is a surprise to me. I'm hearing this for the first time....I don't even know what that is. I mean, was it after practice? No, because after practice we all walk inside together, every time. You know, who knows what happens? That's the kind of things, you know, you've got a bunch of gossip queens in there, kings and queens. Then who knows what comes out?"

Well, that came out of nowhere, didn't it? Unclear whether the "gossip queens" are his teammates or the TV reporters, but I'm guessing the latter. The Junkies asked about reports that he's the first one in after practice.

"I mean, nobody really does anything after practice, because we're all blowed," Lloyd said. "We're exhausted after practice, so it's hard to do anything after practice."

Later, though, he decided to take some more shots at the "beat writers." The Junkies asked for more clarification on how the plays are relayed from Saunders through Lazor to Campbell, and whether Gibbs gets involved.

"No idea," Lloyd said. "No idea. Yeah, I don't know if there's an override process...."

"Can you find out next week?" a Junkie asked.

"That's what I'm saying, you guys are asking questions," Lloyd said. "See, this is what the beat writers....You guys should be in the locker room asking these questions."

"Aren't we better than all them?" a Junkie asked.

"You're way better," Lloyd said. "Because your questions are relevant, and there's two sides."

The Junkies asked him to find some answers about possible Gibbsian overrides before next week.

"See, all these beat writers are gonna be listening to this podcast," Lloyd said.

"Well they're [bleeps], they're [bleeps]," a Junkie said.

"Listening to you guys, taking notes and asking these questions," Lloyd continued. "You can ask these questions," he said, addressing the beat reporters. "Don't be scared."

Well then. I can say one thing with absolute certainty: after this, Brandon Lloyd will never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever get the benefit of the doubt from any beat writer who's ever been within 900 miles of Redskins Park.

Also this: Someone who is going to imply that beat writers are too scared to stand up and do their jobs probably shouldn't leave the locker room at 4:13 and 4:17 after consecutive home games, before the media is permitted inside the locker room, leaving him free of ever having to stand up and answer any questions.

Also this: I still think he's entertaining.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 22, 2007; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Skins-Cardinals Bonus Quotes
Next: Coach Speak Part I: Joe Gibbs

Comments

It's good to see B-Lloyd's entertainment value isn't diminished in your eyes by his clear struggle with bi-polar disorder.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 22, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone ever seen Brandon Lloyd and John Gilchrist in the same room together?

Posted by: DBKAlum | October 22, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

"Well they're [bleeps], they're [bleeps]," a Junkie said.

Were the Junkies using the f-word (rhymes with maggot) again?

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | October 22, 2007 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Where's all this Brandon Lloyd production that we Redskins fans keep being promised?

Posted by: Lindemann | October 22, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The p word (rhymes with wussie).

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | October 22, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Whatever entertainment value he provides aside, BLloyd is a worthless teammate and player. Always has been, always will be.

Of course he's completely unaware of anyone else putting in extra work because he can't get out of there fast enough and over to the recording studio or hot tub party or whatever is next on his schedule.

Posted by: prophet | October 22, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

keep digging that hole Receiver, The. You're just asking to get run out of town by the 'beat reporters,' not that your incredible production on the field is gonna keep you around next season right?

Posted by: wow | October 22, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

You media people crack me up. Talk about being able to dish it out but not take it. Just another reason everyone hates the media.

Posted by: Joe | October 22, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

But we love our readers!

Seriously, Joe, I'm a Lloyd guy, and I think we should be open for criticism, absolutely. But

1) I've never called a player [rhymes with wussie].

2) Brandon Lloyd leaves the locker room without speaking to the media.

Strange move, telling media to ask the tough questions when you make sure you're not around to answer any of em.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | October 22, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Funny how Joe seems to hate the media yet spends his time consuming it and posting on a media-owned message board.

Posted by: DBKAlum | October 22, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Dan, he was asking you to ask the tough questions to the coaches not to himself. Ask the coaches the questions, stop being scared of Joe Gibbs. Everyone is just scapegoating Lloyd like they did Archuleta, Arrington, Coles, Champ Bailey, etc. Its a joke.

Posted by: Jason | October 22, 2007 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Mottram... I'm a fan of your blog, and the Junkies. They invited you on their show and you turned them down, right? Maybe you should stop taking pot-shots at them if you're not willing to talk it out with them. Or perhaps you should invite them into your world for an interview. If you're not willing to have a chat with them, maybe you should just stop talking about them. I have a feeling, after following both of you, that you guys would probably end up working it out without a problem.

Posted by: Junks Fan | October 22, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Who are the Mottram's?

I'm such a blog outsider.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | October 22, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

DBKAlum: where the hell else am I supposed to get my news, genius, other than the media? Doesn't mean that I have to like or respect them. Fact is, the local media has been all over Lloyd. And that includes the sportstalk people. So when he takes a few shots back, there's all this whining? Seems to me like Lloyd's characterization was right on.

Posted by: Joe | October 22, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

What kind of ratings do the Junkies do? A link? Anyone?

Just curious.

Posted by: The Big Lead | October 22, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

I think the Junkies take it to Lloyd as hard as any beat writer takes it to the Skins brass. They even admitted that they are starting to pull their punches because they like Lloyd so much (just like the beat writers do- c'mon, if it wasn't for The Danny playing hardball with the Post, you'd have more than a modicum of criticism leveled at a team that has blown it big time the last 10 years- and look at how WTEM and Comcast roll over to get Skins press for that matter. No Czaban in town when there's an interview, No tough questions asked in exclusives. CSN creaming their jeans all over the
"Official" Redskins pregame). He's on the McCants Express out of town anyway. Hopefully he can catch another payday in another city.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: JayRockers! | October 22, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

Junks Fan, I don't see how I'm "taking pot-shots" at the Junkies. All I did was ask if they continued using a term that should be banned from airwaves and all forms of communication, really.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | October 22, 2007 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Invite B.Llyod to Charity-oke!

Posted by: WGDC- | October 23, 2007 2:35 AM | Report abuse

How can a "journalist" advocate for the banning of any word in the press, entertainment, or every day communication? That's absurd. If you don't like the Junkies, fine. Use your 1st Ammendment right to show why they are wrong, don't advocate that they lose their rights of free speech. Did you go to Journalism school? Don't you understand why that is an irresponsible position to take?

Posted by: DJ | October 23, 2007 6:25 AM | Report abuse

DJ, if you want to use the first amendment to support gay bashing, go right ahead.

As for J school, well, JMU had a fine communications department. Just ask Buckhantz and Czarniak.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | October 23, 2007 9:16 AM | Report abuse

What kind of ratings do the Junkies do? A link? Anyone?

Just curious.

Posted by: The Big Lead | October 22, 2007 08:32 PM

-------------------------------------

They're still getting their asses kicked by Elliot - JFK was 13th in morning drive while 101 was 7th.

Remember when they started to get close to EITM for a few months a few years back and couldn't shut up about it? Now they are getting pummeled month after month after month. But I'm sure they will pick one random obscure demo where they are somewhat close and announce themselves as winners when people who know what's up understand just how far short they have fallen from their boasting.

Posted by: Guy | October 23, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Junks Fan: For the record, I personally invited the Junkies via email to have a discussion on our "turf" (aka Mr. Irrelevant) last week. I received no response.

Posted by: Chris Mottram | October 23, 2007 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Yeah Jamie, actually, the first ammendment does protect gay bashing. Like or not, that's the way it is. SHOULD they use that language? No, not in my opinion. But you, and everyone else, need to defend their RIGHT to use it.

Posted by: Keith | October 23, 2007 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Keith: Get your facts straight. The first amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "Congress shall make no law...abridging the freedom of speech." The first amendment says nothing about private, non-governmental entities prohibiting the use of certain words.

Thus, if WJFK 106.7 wanted to make a policy that prohibited the use of the word "maggot" during their broadcasts, they could.

Posted by: Walk The Line | October 23, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't say the company shouldn't make a rule. I said that a journalist shouldn't advocate that anyone lose the right to say something. Journalists should use their own communication skills to critique and criticize, not advocate the muzzling of others... lest they be muzzled themselves in the future.

Posted by: Keith | October 23, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

dude, half of your blogs have to do with how the media is being being attacked and how you all don't care what sells papers and so forth.. get over yourselves and just report the stories pls. half of this stuff is good, the other half seems like a bunch of whining to me. Canforazz talks crap all day talking about how unbiased he is constantly. He's garbage.. master of the obvious. All of his print stories this year have had the same research. Skins' second half collapse.. sure - story of the season right? well how about he comes up with something new and interesting? at least do some diff research and not re-hash the same old story..even if it happens every week.. WRITE A DIFF STORY PLS! ugh...

Posted by: steve o | October 24, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse