Carlos Rogers vs. Neil Rackers

Rackers, the star of yesterday's game.

As FanHouse pointed out, Neil Rackers had previously tangled with the Redskins, but I particularly enjoyed yesterday's Carlos Rogers vs. Rackers face-off at the end of the first half. Rogers seemed unconcerned after the game. (See video of the fight here, via Mister Irrelevant.)

"I thought we were gonna scoop it and score on the block, and I was getting ready to block him," Rogers explained. "Really, I just pushed him a little bit. Could have killed him, a kicker, and I guess he got mad and tried to retaliate and grab my facemask. So of course I'm gonna have to sling him to the ground."

Uh, I'm not sure if Rogers slung Rackers to the ground, or if Rackers dragged Carlos to the ground. Tale of the tape for next week: Rogers is 6-0, 194, and Pats kicker Stephen Gostkowski is 6-1, 210. Could be trouble. I asked Rogers whether he had ever fought a kicker before.

"No man, a kicker is nobody I even pay attention to on the field," he said. "Waste of my time."

I still thought he might have been covering for the fact that he had, in fact, gotten into a fight with a kicker, so I asked teammates what they thought of the skirmish.

"Carlos is kind of feisty," Fred Smoot said. "He's having one of those years. And you know hey, I can say this about the Arizona Cardinals, they're not the Arizona Cardinals of old. Ain't no die in their team, and there's a lot of fight in them. You can tell, because he got into a fight with Carlos, a kicker."

"Rackers, he's a feisty dude," Brandon Lloyd told the Junkies this AM. "You know, he went to Illinois with me. He's a feisty guy, and I don't think Carlos was expecting that. That's why I felt like they should have ejected the kicker for that one."

"I mean, this is a game of passion, it's hard to keep it bridled sometimes," Reed Doughty said, when I asked about the ethics of fighting a kicker. "It don't matter, if he's got pads on...."

"I didn't get to see it," Rocky McIntosh said. "All I know is I seen a big crowd of guys and I just went the opposite way, I didn't want to get in trouble."

I asked Rocky whether he had ever fought a kicker.

"I don't know, our kickers are pretty tough, I wouldn't want to fight one of them," McIntosh said. "I taped 'em up in college. One of the guys we had, Francesco Whatever-He-Is, the kicker that's down in Miami right now, I taped him up a lot of times. He was a freshman guy, kind of bait out there."

But could a kicker ever get the better of a defensive player?

"Hey, there's a lot of kickers in the league that are bigger than those DB's, better be careful," cautioned Redskins kicker Shaun Suisham. "I don't want to comment on what [Rackers was] thinking, but that's a thing where he's probably frustrated because the extra point got blocked and he reacted just like any other player might. But it definitely does catch your attention when a kicker's involved in a scuffle. But no, I've never been involved in one, and I don't plan on it."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 22, 2007; 1:59 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Chris Samuels and the Alleged Spitter
Next: Shaved Curly R's and Skins Pumpkin Heads

Comments

I am a bit surprised and disappointed they didn't joke on him harder for gettin tossed to the ground by a kicker. I am a big Rogers fan and even I was clownin' him for that. You gotta take that dude out.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | October 22, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

It's so amazing that there are this many NFL players who don't know the rules. Can't score on a blocked PAT. This ain't college.

It's also amazing that there are so many announcers who don't know the rules. When they were reviewing the onside kick, they were both yammering about a possible fumble by the recovering player after he was getting tackled by Sellers. Um, play is dead the second he catches it. He can't advance it or fumble it there, guys.

Posted by: Nationalcoholic | October 22, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Scoop up the ball for a score? Does Carlos still think he's back at Auburn playing college rules?

Posted by: Old Ball Coach | October 22, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Suisham participates in mixed-martial arts in his spare time.

Thanks for attempting to make him tip his hand about his double life, Steinz.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 22, 2007 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Ok, someone has to say it....HAS ANYONE NOTICED THE FREAKISH SIZE OF ROCKY MCINTOSH's HANDS??? anyone who Dvr'd the redskins postgame show on CSN has to re-watch the interview with Rocky.

Dude's hands are out of this world big.

Posted by: Barno | October 22, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

The previous fight that Rackers had with the Skins was also interesting. He had just come back from an injury, and wasn't kicking off. The skins had a nice return and took out the kicker who handling the kickoffs. Rackers didn't like that the Skins took a cheap shot on this kicker, that Rackers came off the sidelines and started a fight with the skins. that's why in that picture on fanhouse, he has no helmet. At the time, I remembered thinking that this dude is nuts. The Skins paid no attention to him back then.

Posted by: Ted | October 22, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

It doesn't take a lot of strength to wrestle somebody to the ground by the facemask. It's a cowardly act and not surprisingly it was a kicker doing it.

The idiot kicker didn't even have the cojones to stay on his feet, just went for the quick takedown like a gutless little punk that's afraid to get hit.

Posted by: Frank | October 24, 2007 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Why didn't Rackers get fined or suspended by the "safety conscious" NFL?

The NFL was so concerned for Tom Brady's personal safety that at one time this season they fined him $5,000 and $10,000 for not snapping all of his chinstraps in two successive games. If it was Brady's safety they were concerned about, as they claimed, then why wait until after two games to address the "problem" and impose a fine?

And why not fine Rackers for actually trying to rip the head off of doing-his-job Carlos Rogers?

It's just one more way that the NFL is helping the Patriots go all the way, by being unfair to them week after week. heh heh

Posted by: Andy Wiggin | December 10, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse