Chris Samuels and the Alleged Spitter

"

Chris Samuels went on at least three or four rants about his tantrum after an extra point yesterday. Samuels went nuts on the field, was restrained by teammates, screamed at officials and then tossed his helmet. After the game, he claimed Cardinals DL Antonio Smith spit in his face. Smith, via the Washington Times, denied it:

"Boy, boy, boy, boy, boy," Smith said when informed of Samuels' charge, "Tell Chris Samuels, quit being a coward and tell the truth. That's all I got to say about it."

Ok, this is officially getting interesting, because here's Samuels's final speech on the matter yesterday, to me and another reporter.

"The guy in spit in my face," Samuels said. " We were jaw jacking, just talking trash, and once Khary [Campbell] got there and kind of got in between us to break it up, he spit in my face, 94."

[Quote continued below]

"Coach always talks about the second guy's always gonna get called, but at that time I just lost it, I didn't care, because I would never do that to another person. I respect everybody as a man out there on that field, and he just totally disrespected me by spitting in my face.

"Luckily Khary held me back and I didn't hurt the team, so I was fortunate. I was gonna get thrown out, I can go ahead and tell you that now.

"I've seen it happen around the league and we kind of laugh about it, like 'That's kind of low, that's low down and dirty,' but now that it happened to me it gave me a whole different perspective. I won't laugh about it any more, because I was in that situation, I was the victim of the spitting. It was terrible, man. I would never disrespect a guy like that. The guy needs a little home training, I guess."

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 22, 2007; 12:59 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gilbert Stole Nick Young's Car
Next: Carlos Rogers vs. Neil Rackers

Comments

I believe Samuels, since I trust him absolutely, but there's got to be video of this expectoration to back up his claim, right?

We need that telltale freeze frame of spittle in flight, like the one that got Sean Taylor busted a few years back. Sure, it's gross, but it would put this to rest.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | October 22, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Man i saw that go down and that was the weakest spitting i have ever seen. Ask Michael Pittman's b--ch a-- about me if you want to hear about a real spitting.

Posted by: Sean Taylor | October 22, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

When he says "we laugh about it," is he talking about when Sean Taylor did the same thing in the playoffs two years ago?

Posted by: Illegal Immigrant | October 22, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I had an ex-girlfriend who was an alleged spitter.

Posted by: Marlene Ramallo Chalmers | October 22, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Leslie Sheppard concurs that this happens far too often.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 22, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Back, and to the left...
Back, and to the left...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 22, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

And Bill Romanowski is pleased... and then apologetic... and then enraged... and then crying... and finally... quiet.

Supplements are good... pills are good.

Posted by: Bucktown Skins Fan | October 22, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Dexter Manley spit in the face of every offensive tackle he faced. Ask Jim Dombrowski

Posted by: onside kick | October 22, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

ay chalmers n who is this ex girlfriend of urs?

Posted by: snoopy_20009 | October 22, 2007 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Usually when this happens with linemen it means the spitter's been getting his tail kicked up and down the field. I bet Samuels was making Smith look bad and spitting was the only thing Smith could think of to attempt to save face. Sorry bastard.

Posted by: Naf Sallad | October 22, 2007 4:18 PM | Report abuse