Is Gilbert Cheating at Halo?

You thought Bill Belichick was bad? Just wait.

I was first alerted to this budding scandal via Reader Eli, who wrote with the tales of Gilbert's Halo 3 adventures. Using one of his three gamer tags (Agent Arenas is one), he'll start a "social doubles" game with a friend, each using a phony teammate. Once the game starts, the two phony players are eliminated, and the real players take turns beating each other up to drive up their experience points.

"I love Gil," Eli wrote, "and it's almost laughable what he's doing."

Threads concerning the matter popped up at Bungie.net and IGN.com, with the response mostly anti-Gil.

"Your stats obviously show what a joke you are. I'd be so friggin embarrassed if I was him," GreenYoshiJosh wrote.

"what a loser...... why waste ure time doing that..." Leprechaun007 wrote.

"I want to write an email to ESPN and see if they put this PTI or something," wrote MC187, who discovered the scam.

(Tell me again how I don't do real reporting.)

Anyhow, like any good reporter, I went to Gilbert to get his response.

"Gilbert," I said, approximately, "people say you're cheating at Halo 3."

"I'm cheating?" he said. "How am I cheating?"

"Gilbert," I asked, approximately," are you creating dummy games with two fake friends and using the wins to rack up experience points?"

"Yeah," he said, laughing. "Yeah."

Sigh.

"It's a glitch," he explained. "It's a glitch in the game. I seen some kids that were like 600s, they won 600 Halo games and we only had that game for two weeks. And all the kids go to school. So I'm like, 'What the hell you all doing?' And they said that's what they doing, two-on-two."

I don't play video games, and feel free to correct me, but let me try to explain, via Gilbert. The highest still rank you can get in the game is 50, and such rankings come from serious competition. But you can also rack up experience through "social" games that don't affect your actual skill ranking, and hence, the scam. Gilbert said he three accounts have skill ratings of 42, 45 and 47, but that this free experience can drive up your title from commander to major and double major and triple major and so on. Sort of ceremonial honors, in his view.

He said there are other Halo scams that he doesn't know how to pull off; one he described as "lagging," where kids somehow freeze you out of the game and then kill your helpless character.

"They go around killing you and get the win every time; there's people who've played the game 200 times and have 200 wins," he said. "People do that and they don't get complaints," Gilbert said. "But if I go two-on-two to get experience points?"

He said he just discovered the trick last night with a buddy, and that they did it about 25 times. He said usually he plays with the kids from his own team, Final Boss. And he scoffed at the suggestion that he was doing this to compensate for below-average gaming skills.

"That has nothing to do with me playing against other people, because when I play against other people I'm a 47 out of 50," he argued. "It has nothing to do with your [skill]. That's just like me playing basketball and I say, 'The first one to 100,000 shots...' and I go in there and say 'Yeah, I made 100,000, I won.' But when you go out there you can't shoot the ball."

In other words, his argument is that he can shoot the ball, so any trickeration should be forgiven. But now that he'd been called out, I suggested, he wouldn't keep pulling the scam, right?

"Why not?" he said. "I mean, who is it hurting? It's two dummy players playing against each other. It's not messing with anybody. I have my friend, it'll be him and his fake friend, me and my fake friend, we'll take turns losing back and forth. There's nobody involved. I can see if we were playing against other people, [but] it's not ranked games, it's social games. So that's the messed-up part. You can win things off of social, when you shouldn't [be allowed] to. All you have to do is do what we're doing. I guarantee everybody's doing it. I mean, how would they know anyway?"

Which is how I soon found myself on a nearby computer, watching an NBA All-Star and MVP candidate read video game message board threads on something called "Bungie.net," cackling at all the outraged comments from people named "Godofdarksouls" and "HydrogIsBack."

"They want to put this on PTI?" he said. "How do I reply?" he asked me. "I want to reply."

But then Coach Eddie Jordan showed up; "C'mon, GA, let's go watch tape," Eddie said.

To be continued, I guess.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 11, 2007; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Brandon Lloyd = Satan
Next: Sellers Discusses The Hit

Comments

jlaC = Godofdarksouls

Posted by: hmmmmm | October 11, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

THIS is AWESOME!
A follow-up is definitely in order ...

Posted by: littles | October 11, 2007 2:44 PM | Report abuse

[LaCanfora] But Arenas had the worst season of an NFL starting wide receiver in NFL history last year! [/LaCanfora]

Posted by: DBKAlum | October 11, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

La Canfora prefers PGA Golf for Playstation 3.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | October 11, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I think the lagging comes from people who play on a dial up modem, not high speed internet.

At least that's what someone told me.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | October 11, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

No matter how he tries to defend himself, this IS cheating. Experience is supposed to be earned, not "glitched"

Posted by: Gothik Shadow | October 11, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Headline:
GILBERT HAS FAKE IMAGINARY FRIENDS.

By the way, Dan, Bungie is the company that made Halo 3.

And you said you dont play video games. Not even the Atari? Or Commodore 64? Dude, EVERYONE's played Space Invaders.

Posted by: Blackaces | October 11, 2007 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha! This is hilarious. This has been blowing up the whole video game blogging scene all day today. If PTI can figure a way to explain it in 20 seconds or less, I'm sure they will run with it tomorrow.

Posted by: hoos30 | October 11, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Ok there are several different abuses of the system kicking around. The lagging out is one of 2 different systems

First they Can "standby" which basically involves pushing the standby button on the top of your modem when you are host. which causes other peoples connections to freak out and since you have host your xbox is the one dictating what actually happened in the game. so when the player reconnects the fact that his xbox says that he has killed so and so overides what "so and So's" xbox says.

The other way to mess with the network is called bridging. without going into detail the basics are using some network hardware and software a player can force himself to be selected host of the game, THis then allows his networking software to slectively cut off other players from the game thus defaulting them to the victory.

while this may be fun for the guys doing it, and not directly preventable buy Bungie - (the developer) or microsoft (the publisher) It stands out like a sore thumb in the background code that the xbox live servers collect. which then allows either bungie to ban that player from access to the matchmaking servers (where ranked games occur) or for The xbox team to ban the offenders Xbox from Xbox live altogether forcing the offender to have to buy an new xbox to get back onto live, as well as being forced to purchase another xbox live subscription at 50 dollars a year.

Posted by: Skwish | October 11, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

I hate to say it, but it's time to put in a call to Ogre.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 11, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I don't see what the big deal is...just because its Gilbert it makes national news.

Because of this though, hes my hero.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I am of MLGPRO.com forums you can find me there.

Dan Steinberg, I am ashamed to share a name with you. You know nothing about halo, you know nothing about the online ranking system, and you give a GREAT man a bad rep for just having fun with friends.

Gilbert also sponsers the best Halo team in the world, and enjoys the great competitive value of the game. To accuse him of diminishing the value by "cheating" is absurd. A man who cares greatly for the compretitive community would do no such thing.

Posted by: LL BIZEAST LL | October 11, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

^^ haha ^^

Posted by: littles | October 11, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Funny how a "good reporter" couldn't even take the time to find out what Bungie is and merely mentioned it as "something called Bungie.net."

Even funnier: The world knows Master Chief much better than Gilbert Arenas.

Maybe once you learn how to "reply" Gilbert, you will find out how to play legitimate Halo, and probably legitimately get owned.

Posted by: Sword | October 11, 2007 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Dan Steinberg, look at his freakin' stats man. All his doubles games are played with the same person on the other team and the games last no longer than a minute. This is clear boosting. This isn't playing the game. If this is the type of behavior MLGPro support, and the type that Team Final Boss condone then you are no better than the people who modded in Halo 2.

Posted by: Gothik Shadow | October 11, 2007 5:15 PM | Report abuse

ya, cheater. i hope he gets his account banned.

Posted by: dooood | October 11, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

this bog is truly the greatest bog ever created.

Posted by: Ben | October 11, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

I read over the comments at Bungie this morning and couldn't believe people were so worked up about it. I also didn't think it was really Gil, so what do I know?
It's just funny seeing what a hornet's nest has been stirred up here. What I thought was funny was that the main instigator's screen name was DWade something or ther other, so some team/player allegiances clearly factored into how worked up he got. Good times.

Posted by: Mike in SD | October 11, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

NNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDSSSSSSS!!!!

Posted by: JP | October 11, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

To all the new guys commenting over here, linked from various video game sites:

Dan hearts Gilbert. He's not accusing him or besmirching his good name. They're having a laugh.

As I'm sure you know, Gilbert sponsors team Final Boss. Walshy and the Ogres went to his birthday party. Seriously. So don't pretend Gilbert doesn't know what he's doing.

Gilbert is boosting, sure, but he's not doing anything like bridging, modding, or standbying, so his boosting doesn't affect other online players at all, so it's not that big a deal, so everyone relax.

Posted by: Nationalcoholic | October 11, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This is boosting. But from my point of view, it's not really cheating because it's done outside of rank, as Gil attests.

There are two numbers that reflect ability--one is rank/skill (which is out of 50). The other is EXP (experience), which you gain for every game won. Both "Ranked" and "Social" games give EXP for wins, but only "Ranked" affect the rank/skill. Thus EXP is basically a number indicating how addicted to the game you are.

So, it's possible to artificially win "social" games as Gil is doing and gain EXP, but since it doesn't affect rank, it's not a good indicator of ability--it only shows how often you play the game. Smarter people understand that Rank is a much better indicator of ability since "boosting" has always been easy to do in "social" games.

The real indicator of Gil's ability is http://www.bungie.net/stats/Halo3/CareerStats.aspx?player=agent%20arenas, which shows an about-even Kill-Death (K/D) ratio, indicating he kills about as often as he dies during ranked games.

BTW Bungie.net is the website of the creator of Halo3. They keep track of wins/losses, stats and other such things.

Posted by: dislyxec | October 11, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

All Joking aside -
October 31st opening at Indiana,lots saying yeah Pacers right -- New Coach Jim Obrien is putting together a team that can't be taken lightly this year with Deiner, Rush, Stanco Barak, etc...

Vegas Winners and Contest

Posted by: CrazyDaddy.net | October 11, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Over/under on number of virgins who have replied: 15

Posted by: DBKAlum | October 11, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I could care less if he boost to get his experience up, but he's done it almost 200 times not 25 like he said in the interview.

Posted by: Jeff | October 11, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

25 times Gilbert? He straight out lied. He did over 100 times yesterday.

But like he said, it doesn't even matter. Nice of him to admit to it but sad that he lied.

Posted by: LOL | October 11, 2007 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Heavy action coming in on the over.

Posted by: Drefazio | October 11, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

This is like a Lambda Lambda Lambda rush party.

Posted by: Lewis Skolnick | October 11, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

Over under on you being a complete douchenozzle......Oh screw it! You are a douchenozzle!

Posted by: DBKAlum Blows | October 11, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I always find it hard to take any reporter serously when they have to put quote marks around proper terms. "Bunglie.net" is a website and should not be put in quotes, neither should "social". It's fine for slang or player aliases.

Posted by: CyberSkull | October 11, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

most popular bog post ever? who knew how big a splash the dan would make in the gamer world?

Posted by: facekdr | October 11, 2007 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I've never heard of this Gilbert bloke....

Isn't it a bit lame to cheat, which is what he's done, and then lie about the extent of it.

His record, like everyone elses is online to see... its embarressing.

Posted by: Smogmonster | October 11, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

One would think that Agent Zero would have better things to do than to boost his halo EXP score. Hell, it's quite a chore to do so. Playing is fun, but worrying about how many wins you have is for the 12 year-olds that Gilbert is emulating.

Posted by: JayDawg | October 11, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Wow,

I guess Gilbert really does have the most marketing potential in the NBA.

Dan, any luck contacting the Argentine embassy?

Posted by: B.A. | October 11, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Shut up kids. Don't cry because a pro basketball player owns you in H3. And he is just getting a higher rank. Gilbert > all of you noobs. He is on the front of a video game cover, he can do as he pleases :D

Posted by: Vallium | October 11, 2007 9:17 PM | Report abuse

I had to laugh at the below quote...

"I am of MLGPRO.com forums you can find me there.

You are a hack, and most comments prior to this are of equal ignorance. Enjoy your dead end "blogging career"."

(End Quote)

K, so, you're of MLGPRO.com forums. That gives you what grounds to criticize this article? Are you supposed to be important? Just because you're in love with this retard NBA player doesn't mean he didn't cheat/boost. Dan said he didn't play video games, yet all his reporting was dead on. Check the games yourself, then go back to sucking on Halo 3. I'll be sure to teabag you after I frag you online.

Posted by: ChocoCocobo | October 11, 2007 9:26 PM | Report abuse

"I am of MLGPRO.com forums you can find me there."

LOL. You fail at life. Enjoy life in your mom's basement.

Posted by: lee | October 11, 2007 9:37 PM | Report abuse

wow, what a bunch of herbs..

Posted by: Anonymous | October 11, 2007 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Go outside. All of you.

Posted by: NPH | October 11, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

"NNNEEEEERRRRRRDDDDDDSSSSSSS!!!!"

Hahaha! GO TEAM GILBERT!

Who cares if he cheated? I cheat when I play video games too. So do half the people that play online.

Posted by: Caesche | October 11, 2007 11:59 PM | Report abuse

people, please, get a life!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: b | October 12, 2007 8:27 AM | Report abuse

My first comment on the bog, a kodak moment indeed. This is amazing! Gilbert "cheating" or "glitching" at Halo has sparked so much controversy. Its also attracted a new audience to the bog for a bit. So do these halo gamers with their boxers all bunched up think it was cheating when players would drive to the shortcut island on the beach level in the original and classic Super Mario Kart. Was it cheating when gil pretended to throw footballs and jumped up in the air and made noises while Stevenson was shooting during their three point competion. Dan keep up the good work and help out an aspiring blooooger.

Posted by: DeeCeeLegend | October 12, 2007 9:13 AM | Report abuse

That's the best NBA blog post i've ever read.

Gilbert Arenas is awesome.

Posted by: Brendan | October 12, 2007 9:29 AM | Report abuse

So funny

Posted by: CIgga | October 12, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

when does the season start?

Posted by: CreditZard | October 12, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

It is harmless, but let us discuss how pathetic Gils actions are.

He cheated so he could have a cooler symbol in a game full of middle school kids. That is how an NBA player gets his kicks?

Truly pathetic behavior!

Posted by: Ghuta | October 12, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

This is news how? Who cares. Nice media we have.

Posted by: Pezzle | October 12, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

that is funny. i wonder how it went down when the geeksquad discovered this crime...

Geek #1 to himself "OMG, OMG, OMG...Agent Arenas is cheating...MOM !!! get me the bat phone I need to call the Commander"

Geek # 2 "hello"

Geek # 1 "Commander Nerdstrom it is I 1st Lt Gets No Ass...Our greatest fear has been realized. Agent Arenas is cheating...that's right he has scammed his way to Major status in Halo"

Geek # 2 "Dear God Lt Gets No Ass...we must inform the Washington Post before this goes international!"

Posted by: bmackin | October 12, 2007 11:05 AM | Report abuse

As a professional game maker, I have to say there's no "glitch" involved in this sort of boosting, he's using the rules of the game system as it was created to improve his account. Frankly that's what players are supposed to do. The fact that the rules create false expectations on the part of players (for example that extra games recorded imply more skill or honor or something) and that they encourage doing something as boring as adding and deleting extra players as the optimum path to the desired result are problems with the *rules* not with the players. And by the way, publicly exploiting and breaking these sorts of things is usually the best way to get them fixed.

Posted by: B | October 12, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

ok number one.... Cheating IS cheating. Period. if u want to go kill your buddy. goto a custom game and play.

number two.. someone said earlier.. lagging comes from dial up.. um NO.. you can not access Xbox Live with anything less then DSL.

number three.. yeah real great reporting there. Bungie IS the developer of Halo. duhhhh.

Posted by: Killa Frog | October 12, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Make no mistake, Gil's cheating here. He's intentionally avoiding any competition to achieve a rank that makes it appear like he has hundreds of legitimate wins.

The joys of matchmaking though are that with inflated EXP levels, Gilbert will be playing people of a similar level. As an avid Halo 3 player, I've had the fun of beating several high ranked colonel's and commanders while only being a colonel rank 1 myself. Gil may be inflated right now, but matchmaking is there for a reason, and everyone eventually settles into the appropriate rank.

Posted by: Junior | October 12, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert is a nasty pg in the nba. who cares i see tons of kids boosting there Insignia (in case you non military people don't know that is your military rank). Who cares it is social. If he was cheating on ranked it would be a different story. He isnt effecting my rank so i don't care. Hope to play you some time gilbert. Oh yeah and the Bulls are going to run the east this year.

Drew
Cpl USMCV

Posted by: Drew | October 12, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

OMFG I KNOW GreenYoshiJosh!!!!!1!1
IGN FTW

Posted by: -Kheez- | October 12, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The funniest thing about this is, i helped him do this, its not cheating its boosting and anyone who plays social matches is doing it because the skill level of the people playing social is so low that anyone that goes in all the time into social matches is doing it to get the XP for a picture beside there name. Gil is not cheating, he does not gain levels ( numerical) And seriousley, he has much more inmportant things to do like NBA...he just wants to keep up, so as not to be behind everyone of the nerds that play this game 24/7. Also, he loves the fact that you idiots are making such a big deal of this, last night he was laughing so hard i thought he was going to throw up. Get off of his dick and quit falsley accusing people

Posted by: BabyJeesus | October 12, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

This is hillarious. You people take this way to seriously. And lets face it, if it is not against the rules, which it doesn't seem to be, then it is not cheating. He's just playing the system, which is a whole lot smarter than all of you who spend all of your time in your Mom's basements playing halo instead of finding a solution to still having that V-card very intact at age 30.

Posted by: e | October 12, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Damn you might as well call out half the people on LIVE who do use/have used cheats and glitches. I wonder how many people who have taken a holier-than-thou attitude on this blog have cheated/glitched in the past?

Posted by: LOL | October 12, 2007 1:06 PM | Report abuse

The question of boosting in games is one often heavily debated on gaming forums. There are two distinct sides of people who have made up their mind on the issue.

But as a 31 year old married gamer and avid sports fan, I would say that all the Washington fans who are reading sports blogs and feel the need to exclaim "NERD!" and call out gamers are pretty sad. I mean, you idolize players, teams, and games that should be for kids and college students. So please settle down with the self-rightious indignation. Anyone who follows sports and/or plays games as an adult are simply trying to enjoy themselves after dealing with all the crap the rest of the day entails. Its all entertainment, just different forms.....

Posted by: Monkeyboy | October 12, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

LEROY JENKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: leroy | October 12, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I think the "nerd" appelation is meant for those people who are making such a big deal over a video game played for fun. It's not like it's Belicheat and the Cheatriots.

Posted by: LOL | October 12, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Hey Bizeast have you looked at his game list on Bungie.net? His doubles matches last 3 seconds!! How is this not cheating?? Or is MLG condoning this type of "playing". For those of you who think it's okay because it's a video game and doesn't mean anything it's about CHARACTER and if a person is a liar they are a liar if they are willing to cheat they will be willing to cheat at anything. Granted he may be a few years away from shaving points but he has clearly started down that road and there are no u-turns permitted.

Posted by: dude | October 12, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert playing anyone in Final Boss is like me playing Gilbert in 1v1 basketball

Posted by: Mark | October 12, 2007 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Monkeyboy: "I mean, you idolize players, teams, and games that should be for kids and college students."

Who are you to say that said sports are meant for "kids and college students?"
I dont think anyone has a problem with gamers' obsession with the hyped up halo 3. I think wiz fans are just amused that some of this halo players are having the monday blues on a friday over Gilbert's glitchability. Furthermore, some of you guys got on Dan for not knowing what bungie.net is. Wax on Bog off!

Posted by: DeeCeeLegend | October 12, 2007 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Dude: "For those of you who think it's okay because it's a video game and doesn't mean anything it's about CHARACTER and if a person is a liar they are a liar if they are willing to cheat they will be willing to cheat at anything. Granted he may be a few years away from shaving points but he has clearly started down that road and there are no u-turns permitted."

Hahahaha you should try selling a sports melodrama about how cheating on halo led to gil's (better yet make it the captain of the high school basketball team to score points with the teeny boppers) gateway drug to doom. No U-turns for Gilbert! David Stern better put up that yellow dead end sign asap. man, gil must having a blast with this.

Posted by: DeeCeeLegend | October 12, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

DeeceeLegend

You missed the point, this is not an example of a gateway drug, this is an example of a persons moral fiber. Would you trust a referee who cheated but said he wouldn't do it again? Would you trust a business partner who embezzeled from his last company? When a person shows a type of behavior chances are those same morals and choices affect all aspects of the persons life.

Posted by: dude | October 12, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Missed the point! Youre just blowing things way(understatement since i didnt extend the aaaaaaa) out of proportion.Comparing cheating on a social halo match to a ref that cheats and a business partner that embezzled money is absurd.

Posted by: DeeceeLegend | October 12, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

i think this is hillarious...you have one of the best players in the world boosting up his experience in a halo video game for his own bragging rights amongst his friends and to see his name with more experience...gilbert is the man and people are overreacting to this, its a video game and some people need to get a life if they take offense to this...well written by the reporter, and makes it comical which is exactly what this is...

Posted by: baller1 | October 12, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

This is too good.

Great funny article that I don't think was written seriously. So what if Arenas boosted his states? From what I have read it only acts like a measure of time he has played the game. Worse ways to cheat.

Fact is and this is said from experience of online gaming... many people cheat if they can find away. Whether it be modding their hit points so that they can be shot in the back of the head 3 or 4 times without dying or what... no matter the game, people cheat. Pointless condeming someone for doing what you possibly do yourself.

Personally I don't cheat... but that's cos I don't think it would make me any better at my game I like to play online... because I'm that bad at it. But I still play... and no I don't play Halo 3... because I don't xbox. Purely a PC kinda person.

Anyways thats my piece, just leave a guy alone for having some fun. Not like he cheated in a presidential election or anything (which no one seemed to care about when that happened in Florida).

Posted by: AJ | October 12, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Sorry kids, MLG is only considered a "great supporter" of Bungie b/c MLG has to pay what would come out to be royalties for marketing their game throughout the US. A "video game pro circuit" is for all the kids that couldn;t get in to schools on a sports scholarship b/c they sucked too bad in high school. Start growing up, folks; the world is laughing at you because you are a "pro in a VIDEO GAME" which requires no physical talent.

Posted by: UFisKing | October 13, 2007 1:13 AM | Report abuse

Who cares? It's a GAME. Why would you kick him from his profession for using an exploit that bungie should patch.. What a sad day it is when tripe like this makes the news.

Posted by: Lynas | October 13, 2007 3:31 AM | Report abuse

And for the record, this did make it on friday's PTI.

Posted by: reverse | October 13, 2007 3:11 PM | Report abuse

First of all who cares. I didnt see anything anywhere when I got the game that says that you cant do it. Maybe we should all do it. Second look at his profile. He's pretty good and you cant knock his ranked playlisting. Third when he said something called bungie.net he was obviously refering to the bungie website. quote "Which is how I soon found myself on a nearby computer, watching an NBA All-Star and MVP candidate read video game message board threads on something called "Bungie.net,""
Pretty obvious if you ask me.

and last if a freakin exploit. Big freakin deal. Waah GA cheated @ H3. Not like any of you havnt ever cheated at a game.

Posted by: Pink Devil Fish | October 13, 2007 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Awesome. I am like almost famous.

Posted by: GreenYoshiJosh | October 14, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

So wait, people that sit and play video games all day are actually calling someone that has done something with his life a loser? I'm having a hard time figuring that out.

Its a fantasy world that doesn't mean anything. Stop getting so upset by someone cheating in fantasyland.

Posted by: capitalgeez | October 14, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Everyone seems to miss the point. The issue is not whether this activity is considered cheating. The larger perspective is this: Gilbert Arenas is a public figure. And like all public figures, he should hold himself to higher standards of ethics and morality. Why you ask? Because he is a professional athlete. People look up to him. What kind of message does it send to others to say, "Yeah I cheat, but it doesn't hurt anyone so it should be allowed."

For me, it shows a definite lack of good judgement if not character. Why does someone like Gilbert Arenas, who is a professional athlete and makes so much money, feel such a compulsive need to do this? Doesn't he already have enough fame and fortune?

Also, he sponsors what is probably the best MLG pro team, Final Boss. What does this say about Gilbert or MLG when people admit to beating the system, just because it can be done? Ranks and experience were set up for a reason. And even though boosting experience in this way doesn't "hurt anyone" as they say, it does confer some awards for the player. The question is whether they were earned in the manner that Bungie had intended?

In my mind, the answer to that question is a big fat NO.

Shame on you Gilbert for showing us that you have such a lack of character, especially for someone who makes a living in a field that promotes sportsman-like conduct. I was never a fan of yours, but now the chance for that happening has become so small as to be infinitesimally insignificant.

Posted by: mikelimtw | October 15, 2007 10:02 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with mikelimtw. Excellent point. This is really what this is all about.

Posted by: Knightfall | October 16, 2007 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I also think it's funny that most of the people on forums and what-have-you who jump on randomly and scream something to the effect of "YOU'RE A 30-YEAR-OLD VIRGIN LIVING IN YOUR PARENTS' BASEMENT!!!!!" are in fact the ones who have this life situation. I'm a huge gaming fan, I play Halo 3 almost every day, and yet, I lost my virginity long ago, I'm 20 years old and already have a job in my career field, an apartment that I completely pay for, a car that I completely pay for, and am almost finished with a college degree. So think twice before making pointless accusations, and maybe take a look in the mirror the next time you think about being an ignorant ------.

Posted by: Knightfall | October 16, 2007 3:49 PM | Report abuse

I did not do inappropriate things with that video game!!!!

Posted by: Gilbert Arenas | October 24, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

thats right gil take advantage. I'm from D.C. and i am a true wizard fan. show us something this season gil.

Posted by: yasin muhammad | October 27, 2007 2:04 AM | Report abuse

ALL you damn geeks out there who didn't take advantage of this like gil did, thats your fault. I'm just saying he can beat you at what your good at and what he is so get a better glitch. DUMBASS GEEKS.

Posted by: yasin muhammad | October 27, 2007 2:12 AM | Report abuse

I usually don't go around hate mongering, but honestly, anyone who feels to passionate about this is a total douche.

Posted by: Random | November 8, 2007 1:22 AM | Report abuse

LOL Shut up what a gimp he is its a game nor a life.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 18, 2007 9:24 AM | Report abuse

roflmao
I love Gilbert. He's so unpredictable.

Posted by: Steve | November 24, 2007 8:58 PM | Report abuse

Another way to cheat at Halo 3 is to get a group of five people, then enter rumble pit. Then you have one person get all the kills, and have everyone else get 0 kills. then, one person gets 1st place, and everyone else ties for second, and everyone gets experiance. :)

Posted by: Muffin_Man_Bob | November 26, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

haha the third person thought he plays football

Posted by: v9 | November 29, 2007 10:11 AM | Report abuse

For anyone who didn't notice........ITS JUST A GAME.....so wat if he cheated or glitched or whatever......shut up. After all of the hard work he did to get his basketball career to the level that its at now, its rediculous to poke holes at his credibility because of a video game......

LETS GO BULLS.