RFK's New Field

Via BobbyBoswell.com, photos of the new and improved RFK, where runners will no longer be stranded at third, fly balls will never again die on the warning track and the dugouts will continue to flood with the smells of sewage on particularly rainy days. Marc Fisher, your tickets are waiting at Will Call.

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 10, 2007; 2:31 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eddie Jordan Beats the Shot Clock
Next: Fred Smoot is...Johann Cavalli

Comments

Now thats a pitch!

And I am assuming Marc Fisher has been to a DCU game, and returning at this point would probably be dangerous for his ego. He'd get heckled from the whole "loud" side if he even dared show his face.

Posted by: the | October 10, 2007 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Are they going to restore the section behind the goal?

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | October 10, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Not until next season at least PB, if ever. When the Nationals took it out they demolished it. It's going to take some time to get it put back together, assuming DCU and the stadium people think it's worth the monry.

Posted by: EricS | October 10, 2007 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I suppose there is no chance of painting the seats, given the uncertain future at RFK and that the Nats couldn't get it done?

Posted by: prophet | October 10, 2007 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Uhh, prophet, most of the seats are plastic except for some of the yellow ones way high up in the upper deck. I don't think they're paintable. If they do decide to rebuild the missing section I suppose they could replace the lower bowl seats, but it seem like a waste of money to me if they're going to be leaving in a few years.

The new grass, it is grass right?, looks awesome.

Posted by: EricS | October 10, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, I've never been to RFK. Replacing them entirely certainly wouldn't make any sense.

Posted by: prophet | October 10, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

The field is a grass/FieldTurf combination. I'm not sure how it works, but they used it at Colorado's field and it has gotten great reviews. I think the idea is that you get the durability of FieldTurf with the quality of play/lower likelihood of injuries you have on grass. I'm not sure how it's done.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | October 10, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

Even though we got a great new field to play on, unfortunately it won't be enough to keep our fans from crying about something.

Posted by: DCU | October 10, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

sweet creamery butter, they must've been working on that field hong and tammers!

Seriously, it looks great. Mr. Goff, is DC United footing the whole bill for this or is MLS chipping in to pay for having a good field for MLS Cup?

Posted by: Garth L. | October 10, 2007 6:38 PM | Report abuse

whoops, I meant Mr. Sportsbog! You guys had me confused after the past few weeks.

Posted by: Garth L. | October 10, 2007 9:46 PM | Report abuse

RFK stadium's field has never looked better.

Even the painted mess that they used for NASL has nothing on this....

Posted by: sitruc | October 11, 2007 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Are they keeping the same configuration of seats for MLS Cup as for DCU's remaining games? Just wondering, cause, I'm stationed overseas, but (due to the cajoling of some buddies back home) may be trekking back for MLS CUP if DCU makes the final.

Posted by: todd11 | October 11, 2007 5:15 AM | Report abuse