Theismann vs. Kornheiser

Joey T. on Tony K.:

"Ron is a terrific football guy but he happens to work on Tony's show. It has become a three-hour Tony Kornheiser show. When I was let go, they explained they wanted more of an issue show and less about football. They've accomplished that.''

Frankly, I have no idea what he means, since Tony's words-per-hour rate is still way below the other two guys, but if this gets us one step closer to fisticuffs, I'm all for it.

(Via Sports by Brooks, The Big Lead and many others.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  October 15, 2007; 1:02 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ravens Fans Eat Whole Pig
Next: B-Lloyd "Speculates" About Troy Aikman

Comments

hey stein,

i was wondering if u could find out what the exchange between clinton portis and gregg williams was on the sideline immediately after portis fumbled...anyway u can get the inside scoop on that?

thanx,
jason

Posted by: jjmat84 | October 15, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

When I first heard Thiesmann on ESPN's "Sunday Night Football" broadcast with Mike Patrick and Paul "I am the Walrus" McGuire I thought he was easily one of the worst of the then-new pack of announcers, but ultimately I thought he improved over the years and I even ended up sympathizing with him because I thought McGuire was unreasonably harsh on Joey T. in the booth, even when Thiesmann was doing everything he could to extend olive branches and be agreeable toward McGuire. Joey T. made all kinds of concessions and compromises for the good of the booth's harmony and McGuire continued to belittle him over the years. But last year I thought Joey T. seemed so threatened, or something, by Kornheiser that he began playing the McGuire role of pointless antagonizer. Screw Thiesmann (and his "hair").

Posted by: Naf Salad | October 15, 2007 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Last year it seemed that all Theismann cared about was trying to put Tony in what he thought was his perceived place. It seems Tony even says less this year than he did last year but the vibe is a lot more smooth and calmer with Jaws. As a lifelong Redskins fan, I have to choke that down and tell Theismann to stop crying into his spilt milk and move on.

Posted by: maryland grad | October 15, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Theismann is right because that whole show is now revolving around Khornball. So what he doesn't talk as much this year as he did last year. Khornball is the one in charge in that booth and both Tirico and Jaws know it.

Posted by: Caps Nut | October 16, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

jjmat84, I was wondering the same thing. It looked like like Portis was apologizing and Williams was blowing him off. But Portis took a seat quickly after that.

Posted by: Ted | October 16, 2007 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Never a Theismann fan, but he was infinitely less anoying than Kornheiser.

Posted by: dandydon | October 28, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

Is there anyone more annoying than Kornheiser in all of broadcasting? He knows nothing about football, and isn't even clever, never mind funny. On the second play of the Ravens first possesion last night we had to hear "IS THIS THE GAME" that the Pats lose. Even if they did, he wouldn't have any idea why. He is a millstone around Jaws neck.

Posted by: bobw | December 4, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse