Are the Skins the Boys's Biggest Rivals?

(AP/The Washington Post)

Judging by this blog post from Dallas, many Boys fans don't think so. Eagles, they say. Which, come to think of it, was reciprocated by the Eagles fans I met in Philly, who said, for them, the Redskins are a distant third after Dallas and the Giants on the rivalry rankings. More than anything else, the fact that Cowboys fans don't consider the Redskins their top rival shows what the last 15 years have wrought.

Also, did you take a look at the leaders in Pro Bowl voting, released this week? Cowboys are leading at 10 positions, Redskins at one? (Sean Taylor is the one.) That's depressing, too.

Some comments from Dallas fans:

"The Redskins rivalry is for old guys that cant let go."

"We pretty much have the Redskins number so that match up is boring now."

"Definitely the Eagles. I hate them far more than I do the Redskins and Giants combined."

"I definitely think the Eagles have replaced the Redskins as the most hated rival, and I definitely think that Redskins fans hate the Cowboys more than any other team. That's all fine with me, as it's a win-win: we lose, no big deal, they lose, the world implodes. Which is satisfying, but not quite in the way that beating your rival is."

By Dan Steinberg  |  November 15, 2007; 1:29 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Yesterday in Area Hoops: VCU Wins Today
Next: Portis Costume, Sellers Beard Both Gone

Comments

I'm not surprised.

If DC area sportswriters overreact to blog posts, its no secret that Skins fans have been holding on to a rivalry that is marginal at best on the national spectrum.

Except for Jamie Mottram. He's cool.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | November 15, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

We've won 3 out of the last 4 meetings and it's about to be 4 out of 5. F Dallas!

Posted by: G20 Fdacowboys | November 15, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I have lived in Texas my entire life and when I claim the Redskins, I always get a more adverse reaction than Eagles fans. Whatever message boarders are saying about it, I've suffered enough animosity to believe there's still plenty of Redskins hating Cowboys fans out there.

Posted by: Skin Patrol | November 15, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

No Way. The skins can bare beat philly or NY. But they do beat themselves on a regular. National sport analysts actually give the skins more respect than they deserve. They mention how the Defense won't allow that many points, and how the offense lives by Joe Gibbs rushing type of football, but the skins manage to prove them wrong almost every week.

Posted by: keedrow | November 15, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

cowboys redskins is nfl number 1 rivalry the end.

Posted by: kerdog | November 15, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Skins don't even show up on the Cowboys' rivalry meter. Why should they? They're no threat to the 'Girls.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 15, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

I love when fans think that rivalries are fluid and can change all the time. Cowboys-Eagles? Who gives a crap outside those two dumps? How many years has that been big? Where's the history, lore and sense of occasion?

Rivals are for life, not just for Christmas.

Posted by: Kev | November 15, 2007 3:30 PM | Report abuse

"The Redskins rivalry is for old guys that cant let go."

I guess 30 years old is classified as "old guy" now in Texas, cause I have hated the Cowboys from the moment I even knew what football was. Both teams could be awful and I would still care. I dont care how many times the Skins or Cowboys have won in a row or in a series. It really doesnt matter to me.

For example, DC United's main rival is NY/NJ (Red Bulls, MetroStars, whatever). Sure, DC has owned them for most of the 12 years of the league, but I still hate them with a passion.

If you cant tell, I have a lot of hate to go around.

Posted by: the cheat | November 15, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

As a D.C.-based Cowboys fan, I can definitely say I've got more than enough venom to despise both the Washington NFL franchise and the Iggles. I still despise Washington more, but the Eagles have gained ground in recent years due to their "W"-heavy divisional record. And, yes, I despise the Giants, too. (Season sweeps are great things.)

Posted by: Naf Sallad | November 15, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Throuh out the 90's the Cowboys biggest rivals were the 49ers and then they pretty much became as bad as the Redskins.

Point being, Washington always hated the Cowboys more, even in the 70's when the rivalry supposedly started and grew throughout the 80's, because the Cowboys were usually the team to beat in order to get to the SuperBowl.

Posted by: 761-091 | November 15, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

"Redskins have not been relevant for almost a decade and a half. Browns fans probably hate Steeler fans more than what Steeler fans hate them - what is a rivalry when one of the teams is not relevant?"

If you cant muster hatred for your rival, you probably cant name the starting O-line.

"Relevancy" is irrelevant.

"As a D.C.-based Cowboys fan"

Posted by: the cheat | November 15, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

"Well d-uh. Of course a lot of Dallas folks don't think the Redskins are their biggest rivals - especially the younger ones. When was the last time the 'Skins were relevant, 1993?"

Umm, two seasons ago the Redskins beat the Cowboys 35-7 during a 6 game win streak that included a wild card win. Remember that? Remember how we swept Dallas that season and they missed the playoffs - relevant enough?

Posted by: Kev | November 15, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

""As a D.C.-based Cowboys fan"

Please, do us all a favor. There is a state within a few days drive that would welcome you with open arms...."

Or you could go here...

Posted by: Kev | November 15, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I have a lot of respect for Joe Gibbs, but the rivalry is over. Expect my Boys to skunk the Skins this weekend.

Posted by: DB | November 15, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

46 year old lifelong Eagles fan here. First, I think (especially since they booted the Cardinals) every division game in the NFC east is a big rivalry game. I bet there's no other division with that broad a sense of rivalry.

An Eagles fan would always say that the Cowboys games are the biggest, but I think, especially in recent years, the Giants are really up there for me. And ask a Giants fan which NFC east team they hate the most, I bet the Eagles win. They may be second-rate at best this year, but the Eagles have been dominating the division since about 2000, which makes them all the more hateable for the other teams. And sorry, but the Skins haven't been threatening anyone in the last few years, so they're down the rivalry scale to everyone else.

So these things change over time as the dominant teams change over time. It's everyone's job to clobber the 'Boys now.

Posted by: Larry | November 15, 2007 7:46 PM | Report abuse

sounds similar to packers' rivalries, nationally we're perceived as all about the bears, but everyone i know has a kind of begrudging respect for that rivalry, whereas we all flat out hate the vikings.

hate's a strong word. its a good word. felt good to sweep 'em & shut 'em out, w/ favre setting records in both games, w/ a former ND running back that lost his starting job to julius jones, then to darius walker... now i'm rambling. but i'm w/ yall on the anti-cowboys force. i'm rooting for the 'skins to rough 'em up good, we have a big game comin up w/ them 'boys

AMERICA'S TEAM? for me to poop on

Posted by: pack4life | November 15, 2007 8:14 PM | Report abuse

^^and i'll take that bet, larry

Posted by: pack4life | November 15, 2007 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I hate Philly fans more than I hate Redskins fans. I hate to lose to the Eagles. I love when we beat the Eagles.

But Redskins are THE rivals. End of story.

Posted by: D.C. based Cowboys fan | November 16, 2007 1:16 AM | Report abuse

top rivals boys-skins. braves-cubs. tennessee-alabama. bears-packers. army-navy. texas-oklahomo justkiddin sooner. florida-georgia. lakers-celtics. usa-ussr. usc-notre dame. yanks-sux I mean sox. And please dont talk about soccer in my pressence or bowling or speed nitting.

Posted by: kerdog | November 16, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

hey pac4life still havent gottin over all those 1990s texas stadium playoff games? By the way dont the packers play dallas in dallas soon? Good luck with that.

Posted by: kerdog | November 16, 2007 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Looks like the typically short-sighted, fickle Cowboys fans have forgotten. Good thing we've been reminding them bit by bit over the past few years.

These guys are clearly out of touch, which is not surprising. It's gonna be a rude awakening Sunday when Dallas goes down like a Thai prostitute.

SCALP 'EM!

Posted by: Scroot | November 16, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"The Cheat" and "Ken": Pfft! Still upset that there are almost as many Dallas fans at DreadEx Field as your own peeps? Hmmm, yeah, that's a real crying shame. Get some real fans.

Posted by: Naf Sallad | November 16, 2007 4:35 PM | Report abuse

People that root for a Texas team, yet were born and raised in the DC area are a bunch of ass hat traitors. Support the hometeam douchebags! You people make me sick.

Posted by: Ryan | January 15, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse