Cashing in on Taylor, Part II

Here's the closing paragraph of my item about the online sales of Sean Taylor commemorative towels yesterday:

Bear in mind, the guy is getting buried today. Which means, I guess, that mementos from his funeral won't be on eBay until tonight.

"Ha ha, Dan," I thought to myself. "Nice use of an exaggeratedly awful hypothetical to emphasize just how far some people will go to make a buck." Then I moved on.

And then someone sent me this link. So yeah, as of this writing, for a mere $102.50 on eBay you can buy yourself a program from yesterday's Sean Taylor funeral service. Here's the product description:

The rest of the people (general public) MAYBE got their hands on a couple hundred of these, so you may NEVER get another chance to get one. If you are a Redskins fan, Sean Taylor Fan, or UM fan, this may be a nice addition to your collection. This is a REAL one, not a copy. It was received by me at the service, at approximately 12:30PM on Monday 12/3/2007. Winner will receive the booklet, which has a synopsis of Sean's life, a nice collection of small pictures of Sean on another page, and a list of thank-you's on the back cover.

Incidentally, it was a VERY moving service, especially when Levar Arrington went to speak - I think he moved the entire arena with his words. Sean, rest in peace - you will be sorely missed in this world.

I suppose that God wanted the absolute best safety for His team.

I can only imagine how moved Mr. Seller must have felt when he was trying to figure out how much money he might make off his trip to the funeral.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 4, 2007; 11:29 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Gibbs vs. the NFC East
Next: More Theismann on Kornheiser

Comments

I heard the seller is Michael Wilbon.

Posted by: 1st and Goal | December 4, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Mr Seller grew up in a profitable world, embraced it, claimed it, loved to run in it and refused to divorce himself from it. He ain't the first and won't be the last."

Posted by: onside kick | December 4, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

This stuff is sickening. Great reporting Dan, you've done better than anyone on this story.

Posted by: Andy | December 4, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

he is also selling a bible from the service, click the "View seller's other items" link.

you know what they say about karma.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 4, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

i dont know if this is a constituency you want to call out... but at the wiz-toronto game there were quite a few sellers of portis commemorative t-shirts. the prints and layouts looked nice enough, with some great turnaround on the tragedy, and i guess they were testing the waters for the skins game the next day. right? lead me through the waters of opportunism, dan.

Posted by: CreditZard | December 4, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

I must disagree with Steinberg on this one...you have to look at the flip side of this issue. If I really wanted to be at that service or really wanted to have all the sean taylor memorabilia out there, I'd be glad I'd have the ability to buy something I wouldn't otherwise have a chance to have. I think people are forgetting that there is memorabilia from the famous who have been deceased on sale all over the world. We're just sensitive to the Taylor stuff because it just happened.

Posted by: Barno | December 4, 2007 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Barno, you're missing out on a key element of decency. His funeral was yesterday. Anyone selling stuff is in it purely for maximizing profit and has no respect for Mr. Taylor or his friends and family.

Posted by: Kim | December 4, 2007 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Dan, I listed that item on eBay. The money was always destined for ST's Scholarship Foundation, except, you can't list it as such on eBay, because:
1) The foundation is NOT a 501(c)3 or 501(c)4 foundation, and
2) If you mention donation/charity int he auction, and it is not set up properly through ebay, it will get cancelled. Now, in my overzealous attempt to try and do something good, I realized I didn't see the bigger picture, and did something in bad taste, so I cancelled all the bids, put a note in the auction, and then cancelled the auction, at about 6:30PM EST or so. Now, the note I put in, mentioned that the money was for donation, and just as I suspected, even though I ALREADY CANCELLED the auction, ebay cancelled+deleted it for "imporper charity auction listing."

In hindsight, I will admit to crossing the line, but it was NOT intended to be malicious, nor profiteering. I could very well have modified the listing, knowing ebay would nuke it, end the auction early, taken the money, and run, but I did not. The money was NEVER intended for me to keep.

Again - I apologize for any offense I have caused people. i was just SO frustrated, that this happened AGAIN to a UM player, that I wanted to try to do SOMETHING,ANYTHING to get involved, and I though raising money for the ST Sholarship Foundation would be a good thing, and without meaning to, I crossed the line.

I will accept and take any and all criticism from the readers, and will not say a single word in defense, because I have none.

In hindsight, it was tasteless, and I do not know really I actually went through with it, without fully realizing the impact, no matter where the money was going.

I very humbly ask forgiveness for that transgression, as it was NOT with malice at heart.

Posted by: Jack | December 5, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse