GW's Hobbs Gets Heated

Did not need to be led away from reporters. (AP photo)

Seems like a good time was had by all in Blacksburg last night, where the Local No. 9 Hokies crushed Local No. 10 GW, 68-36. From The Post's game story, about Karl Hobbs's post-game press conference:

Afterward, Hobbs became heated during a verbal altercation with a student reporter and was pulled away by Athletic Director Jack Kvancz.

The reporter in question worked for the Hatchet, of course, whose account of the incident was fairly restrained. Hobbs said his team had been dominated in "every facet of the game," and the Hatchet reporter asked if that included being out-coached.

When asked by The Hatchet if "every facet of the game" included being out-coached, Hobbs said, "You can say that if you want," and declined clarification upon request.

After the press conference, Hobbs took [the reporter] aside in the tunnel and said, "When I get some top-50 recruits, you can ask me about being out-coached." Asked if he is exonerated from any blame because he does not have top-notch recruits, Hobbs said, "No," but restated, "When I get some top-50 recruits, you can ask me about being outcoached."

Director of Athletics Jack Kvancz then led Hobbs away.

Anyhow, I should have written extensively about this in advance, but that game yesterday was the Atlantic 11's equivalent of the upcoming Pats-Jets Spygate showdown, in which the Pats will be favored by 53. Yesterday, the Hokies ought to have been favored by about the same, after Wynton Witherspoon transferred from Va. Tech to GW and Nigel Munson attempted to do the same before Seth Greenberg said nuh-uh and wouldn't release him from his schollie. The Post's story quoted Greenberg saying this was "just a good win," but Va. Tech fans apparently chanted "traitor" at Witherspoon, which probably isn't usual. On the other hand, Hobbs apparently "unleashed a tornado of profanities on his team at halftime," which probably is. The GW players were also not made available to the media, according to the Hatchet.

Point being, at a minimum Hokies fans seemed to enjoy this one for more than just the result. (Sample message board post: "Very satisfying win over a slimebag coach.") And while the play-by-play doesn't list substitutions, and while every Hokie starter played fewer minutes in the second half than in the first, from what I can gather four of the five Hokies starters were still in the game with six minutes left and a 28-point lead. Just saying.

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 10, 2007; 9:56 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Giant Presidents and Gil's Constipation
Next: More Gilbert Stand-Up

Comments

Am I the only one who's surprised that a message board in Blacksburg doesn't involve an actual wooden board?

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle | December 10, 2007 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Does Hobbs think that Va Tech have top 50 recruits? They don't

Posted by: Kev | December 10, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

I heard BC had a good game last night...

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle=lol | December 10, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

The starters were still in the game to get more time playing together. Nova came back from 21 down in 8 minutes so i dont think that playing your starters is a big deal.

GW took some of the owrst shots i have ever seen. They passed the ball around the perimeter and then heaved a 3.

Posted by: PM | December 10, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Hokies had two walk-ons in the game with four minutes left and called a time out in order to put a third walk-on in the game with two minutes left. Plus, five or six of the Hokies key players are freshmen, so they need all the time they can get to get ready for the rigors of the ACC.

Posted by: Wandering Hokie | December 10, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

that's cuz half our starters are freshman.. ;-)

Posted by: hmmmmm | December 10, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

By the way, we have upgraded to white boards from wooden boards, but Bud Foster keeps breaking them. Sooo, we are trying out this newfangled electronic stuff.

PS: Blacksburg was labeled "the most wired town in America" before most of you even heard of the internet.

Posted by: Wandering Hokie | December 10, 2007 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Last paragraph mentions 4 of the 5 Hokie starters were in with six minutes left...do you figure GW's starters were still in or that doesn't matter?

Posted by: HokieFan | December 10, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I was going to make a snarky comment about me taking wagers on how fast a Hokie fan will come out of no where to defend their school against a cut and run joke... and then I actually read the comments.

Wandering Hokie, I'm shaking my fist at you.

Posted by: James | December 10, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Jeez, I said that every Hokies starter played fewer minutes in the second half. I was just joking, Hokies. Thing is, I imagined in my mind before the game that the Hokies might want to particularly pound GW, based on past circumstances, and pound them they did. Coincidence, I guess. I was hoping all five starters played 40 minutes, but alas, they clearly did not.

Not one game story suggested anything whatsoever happened untoward, and since I saw zero minutes of the game I certainly wouldn't want to imply that.

Posted by: Steinberg | December 10, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Baaahahaha Angry Karl. What a tool.

Go Spiders.

Posted by: Goose | December 10, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown won by 32 and didn't need their starters down the stretch to do it. In fact, their bench out scored the starters and everyone got to play. Just goes to show why they're the local #1.

Posted by: Jon | December 10, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Now VT has to take care of another scumbag coach, Gary Williams, and "his" recruit Gus Gilchrist. For anyone who doesn't know, Gilchrist used the shootings at VT as an excuse to withdraw his "committment" to VT, saying he "didn't feel safe". What a total joke that is. Pretty classy move by Gary Williams to keep whispering in this kid's ear to encourage this.

Posted by: Bill | December 10, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Hey Scotty Van Pelt

That wooden board may be a good idea. Perhaps you and your boys can bring us the materials since you all got taken to the woodshed last night. Make sure you bring the lumber that left the biggest marks on your behinds

Posted by: Wild Turkey | December 10, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

The crowd booed Witherspoon every time he touched the ball. I didn't feel the crowd was fair. I was disappointed with the student section. There were quite a few other things that should have been addressed. Hobbs doesn't need a Top 50 recruit if he can take other school's players after they've had a season or two. Tech held a few players scoreless including Alexander who had four fouls. I recall at least three GW players having airballs and those were afterthoughts to the crowd. Even the player who was posterized by JT was given a slide because of the concentrated booing and weak heckling of Spoon. Spoon was a fan favorite when he was in Blacksburg. I wasn't upset when he left because he was missing things, but I didn't like hearing that Hobbs was after other Tech players and recruits.
Tech is a young team. They've had some growing pains and those will continue as Hudson is put in the lineup and Allen learns to not pick up fouls. It's a young team, but this team is the best all-around group of players Blacksburg has seen on the basketball court. They are playing Greenberg's brand of Virginia Tech basketball now. Tough man-to-man defense and a simplified offense are allowing things to flow much better. I hate bringing up the campus shootings, but Coach Greenberg has stated that is why there was such a large gap between games before the Alaska tournament. Games were being scheduled at that time, but attention was obviously diverted. By the time things were able to return to some normalcy, schedules were full. The team needs to continue to become familiar with each other and the freshmen need all the time they can get before the ACC schedule. I'm glad they're saying Diakite's injury was just a leg cramp.

Posted by: sitruc | December 10, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I was at the game and the students actually were yelling "spoon" when WW got the ball. Spoon was a popular player during his time at VT and other than one short length "traitor" cheer they were very positive towards GW's #11.

Also how can a team be accused of running up the score with starters when they only scored 68 points? I suggest the GW fans take a closer look in the mirror for this one. One team came to play and the other simply did not.

Posted by: farmville hokie | December 10, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Some were saying "Spoon"(I was one at the beginning), but most were booing. Many kids probably didn't even know why. Regardless, it was all good-natured and not hateful. I do wish the giant spoon had made a return for that game though. It would have been funny to see somebody break it or something. I'm not sure people are complaining about running up the score other than the questionably-worded speculation from Steinbog.

Posted by: sitruc | December 10, 2007 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I think Hobbs is the best coach in the DC area. What he's done in terms of what he's had to work with is amazing.

Posted by: Jim | December 10, 2007 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Do you mean DC Sports Bog "DC area" or the actual DC area, Jim?

Posted by: sitruc | December 10, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Bill,
You are just plain ignorant. Anyone who knows anything about ACC basketball, not that any VT fans know anything about ACC basketball, would know that Gary does not cheat and never has. Gilchrist most likely ended up at MD because G'town signed Monroe. You might want to educate yourself before you open your big mouth again.

Posted by: freestater | December 11, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

You may want to educate yourself before posting again, freestater. Defending one program by insulting an individual and a fan group doesn't make for a good argument. Not including tournaments or this season, Maryland has had three more conference victories than Virginia Tech since VT joined the conference. I grew up loving ACC basketball while also following local programs as well as Georgetown and the other big programs. I later became a VT follower and eventually a fan. There isn't one coach in the ACC that is squeaky clean. Gilchrest most likely ended up at Maryland because his handlers pushed him that direction after a few other offers fell through. Coach Greenberg did a good job of identifying Gus and he committed to Tech relatively early. Then he gained more attention after some showcases and more offers came. Of course the decommit is a sour topic with Tech fans because of the reasoning given when it was obvious certain coaches and handlers had been trying to get out of the commitment for a while. Don't think for a second that Coach Williams wasn't involved in the process though. I'm not saying he did anything dirty or violated any regulations, but Gary was in his ear after things had fallen through for Gus at other local schools. Nobody said Gary lies or cheats. Let's be real though, it's hard to honestly call any ACC basketball coach "classy." Of things to call any coach, classy isn't at the top of the list.

Posted by: sitruc | December 11, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

sitruc,
You claim no one said Gary lied or cheated. Did you read "Bill's" comment? I quote:
"Now VT has to take care of another scumbag coach, Gary Williams, and "his" recruit Gus Gilchrist. Pretty classy move by Gary Williams to keep whispering in this kid's ear to encourage this."

No one said he lied or cheated, huh? Are you kidding me? You, like many VT fans, make numerous accusations that have no factual basis when it comes to the Gilchrist situation. No one has ever offered any proof whatsoever that any program tampered or otherwise committed any violation in reference to Gilchrist. Let me repeat that, no proof has ever been produced in that regard. First, VT fans accused GW of being behind it. Then it was Georgetown. Now it is Maryland. I can understand VT fans being disappointed about losing probably the best recruit VT has had in decades, but I draw the line when they start making outrageous accusations against a coach who has never ever cheated. If you or any other VT fan knew anything about Gary you would never say such a stupid thing.

Recruits de-commit all the time. Maryland had Jennings de-commit and lost Jeff Jones to UVA the year before. It is a very convenient crutch for fans to blame such things on vague allegations of "shady" goings-on by other programs. Only Gilchrist knows whether his concern over safety was the real reason he de-committed. I don't like the way he handled the situation, but that doesn't make him a war criminal. If VT fans harbor some animosity toward him I can understand that. However, Maryland did nothing wrong and any criticism of Gary or his program is baseless.

As for insulting an individual, I have no qualm about insulting someone who says Gary Williams is a "scumbag." You want to defend that kind of garbage, go ahead. I have no respect at all for VT fans who spew that filth.

Posted by: freestater | December 12, 2007 3:42 PM | Report abuse