Redskins Mix Sacred, Profane

Moses, on the other hand, is a big Tony Romo fan.

Well that was quite a win. Quite a day, all around. The second-most important day of the 2007 sports calendar, on the second-to-last day of the year. I'll admit, I enjoy being offered free beers and foodstuffs as I move through those parking lots. Who doesn't like free beers and foodstuffs? And I always turn down the offers of illegal drugs.

As per usual, the NFL experience left one's head spinning, with or without those drugs. The massive ESPN.com display with Rock Cartwright's mohawk and a massive headline, "D.C. UNITED." Really?

And did you hear after the game, how so many players and coaches were saying the 21-point margin of victory was some sort of message from their own 21?

I find it touching how much they care about Taylor, how much they think of him still, and I really don't want to be insensitive to what these guys earnestly believe, but I think the world can pretty much be broken down into people who believe the dead can influence the final margins of NFL games and people who, well, don't think that.

Rain makes the paint run.

Santana Moss, though, spoke very eloquently about this, not saying that the 21-point margin was preordained, but that Taylor--or the idea of Taylor, maybe--can get inside your head and rattle things around.

"I have learned so much from him not being around," Moss said. "It makes me appreciate this game more. It makes me appreciate life a little bit more."

Either way, it's something holy the Redskins were talking about here, the way this tragedy still affects their lives. You think of that, and then you think of the six-year old boy, wearing Redskins gear, standing outside the players' parking lot before the game, screaming over and over and over at the parading Cowboys fans: "YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK! YOU SUCK!" That's where the sacred/profane thing comes in.

Decided on this over the t-shirt with the raised middle finger.

"You couldn't write a better script, facing the Dallas Cowboys," London Fletcher said. "We don't like each other. This is the most hated rivalry in sports."

Is it? Is that why I talked to one fan who said he ripped a sticker off a Cowboys fan's car, and the Cowboys fan retaliated with a sucker punch, and the Redskins fan responded by smashing a megaphone over his head? Not sacred, perhaps.

When do bricks not speak like guacamole?

But then you listen to the post-game talk, and there was so much heartfelt talk about the Lord. The Lord is discussed after most every sporting event nowadays--read about Tim Tebow's religious efforts and the way the media deals with them, for example--but this seemed like more than usual, for a host of obvious reasons.

"There comes a point in life when you have to say, 'Hey, I want what the Lord wants, not what I want,' " Joe Gibbs said. "I felt like that was really a defining moment for me four weeks ago. I get kind of emotional talking about it, but that is the truth."

And then you think of Portis, who also delivered heartfelt words about Taylor, saying "ever since the incident with Sean, the guys in the locker room, grown men are walking around saying, 'I love you,' 'good luck, take care.' It's hard to tell another man you love him. But as a team, I think guys appreciate their teammates more, guys appreciate coming to work."

Boooooooooo.

Some of this is genuinely touching, right, just like the kiss from Bugel to Gibbs? And then you think of the blatantly homophobic displays in the parking lots, like the above, or the t-shirts that were everywhere. I try to keep opinions and politics and all that out of this space, in favor of jokes about facial hair and tattoos, but c'mon. This isn't ok. It just isn't ok. It isn't ok to put that up, and it isn't ok to laugh at it, and it isn't ok to say it's a joke. This is a football game; take the hate speech somewhere else.

Boooooooooo.

But jokes about Jessica Simpson? I see nothing wrong with those. The masks were everywhere. Just everywhere. Plus the large men dressed like, well, like Simpson I suppose. The amount of Redskins-related cross-dressing, from Choo-Choo to the Hogettes to the Jessica lookalikes....I'm telling you, your head keeps spinning. Tony Romo, he of the Jessica connections, sounded real reasonable-like after the game.

A win for RuinRomo.com.

"The teams are real close talent-wise, and sometimes it's just a matter of a few things going your way or a team playing with that much emotion," he said. I mean, all these teams in the NFL are just about identical, talent-wise. That's why the Redskins can lose half their team to injury and still be the hottest squad in the NFL.

But that's Redskins Insider talk. Boooo-rrriing. And all this philosophical/religious talk belongs elsewhere, too. Here, maybe. Or here. NFL games aren't supposed to be about spiritual metaphysics. They're supposed to be about the wearing of mustaches and bright purple boots. That's for the next post, later this morning.

I think he made the big screen at one point.

As far as any analysis, I'll just close with the best quote in the Redskins locker room, one Kedric Golston, who analyzed the win thus:

"It was hard-fought," he said, knowingly. "Extremely hard-fought."

By Dan Steinberg  |  December 31, 2007; 9:14 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rock Chalk Mo' Hawk
Next: Redskins Go in Style

Comments

1. He would have been a sucker not to punch him after getting his sticker ripped off his car.

2. The final JLC shot of 07'? Im lovin' it.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | December 31, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

The takedown of gay-bashing Skins fans is priceless and well deserved. And the Golston quote is amazing. He truly is part of the Blog Show movement.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | December 31, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

"This isn't ok. It just isn't ok. It isn't ok to put that up, and it isn't ok to laugh at it, and it isn't ok to say it's a joke. This is a football game; take the hate speech somewhere else."

I couldn't agree more Dan, these people disgust me.

Posted by: onside kick | December 31, 2007 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Here, here, Agent Steinz. Vitriolic hate speech shouldn't be any more acceptable because it comes during a sporting event. To see it utilized so frequently is disheartening.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 31, 2007 11:16 AM | Report abuse

There's a touch of the old masters in the way you wrote this piece. It's some of the finest game site reporting I've read. Nice work, my man.

ns
www.thelosscolumn.com

Posted by: neal s | December 31, 2007 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I also couldn't agree more... I attended a tailgate next to the homophobic sign. I didn't laugh, I didn't think it was okay, and I certainly didn't think that it had anything to do with sports. All fans need to be treated with respect, "rivalry" or not.

Posted by: someone who was there yesterday | December 31, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I think what bugs me most about the "hate speech" taunts is how remarkably unclever they are. I mean there's a group of alleged skins fans on ES who call the Cowboys the "Cowgirls." Really the Cowgirls? Or Team Brokeback? Or the Viqueens? Really? That's the best you guys can come up with. It kills me.

Posted by: Jon | December 31, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

That was the Mayor of the DTC. 30 people then proceeded to jump on one Cowboy fan. Very courageous

Posted by: Portis!!!! | December 31, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

of Fed Ex Field, not the DTC.

Though I am a member of the DTC, infact one of the founders.

So I guess you can call me the Mayor of DTC.

I got sucker punched on Christmas eve of 2005.

Ill take a sucker punch again any time, any day for a playoff victory.

Hell I will take a kick in the sack for a playoff win.

Either way, you left out the part where he bit the top of my pinky finger off.

Posted by: The Mayor | December 31, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"This isn't ok. It just isn't ok. It isn't ok to put that up, and it isn't ok to laugh at it, and it isn't ok to say it's a joke"

Settle down butt pirates.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 31, 2007 2:06 PM | Report abuse

I walked by the cowboys sign and almost pee'd myself as I read it, I think it was probably the best sign there!!! It couldnt be more true, its beyond the homophobic matter, its that they are all "brokeback" And i am not a homophobic person or have any negative views towards gays.

Posted by: C.Po_Does_Work | December 31, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

These are the same ignorant fools who fifty years ago hurled racial slurs at Jackie Robinson. And they'll counter that they're just joking, and people should lighten up. That is, until you make a joke about Bush or the NRA or some other thing they're all teary-eyed and sensitive about.

They're stupid and they don't deserve this team. But unfortunately, they're not going anywhere.

That doesn't change the fact that you honestly rule for calling attention to the hate, Dan. At least it helps the decent people realize we're not alone.

Posted by: bryc3 | December 31, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Sounds about right to me.

Posted by: Troy Aikman | December 31, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Tie me to a tree! The weather is just perfect for it too.

Posted by: Matthew Shepard | December 31, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

This girl started the fight at F-51.

She is a real winner, and because she acted like an idiot, her husband was forced to "defend her honor", all the while geting beat down by the DTC.

Posted by: That Guy | December 31, 2007 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Good show, Dan. Right on the money. This kind of speech is plain hateful.

Reminds me of the op-ed in the post a few weeks back about the Chicago fan who went to Fedex Field with his 13 yr. old son, where "real" Redskins fans verbally intimidated his boy, drunkenly screamed obscenities much of the game, and cheered the injuring of Chicago's players. Classy!

I still don't get how yelling "(Team X) Sucks" is intimidating for the opposing team (it just sounds stupid and unimaginative). "We Want Dallas" was intimidating without being juvenile. Let's bring it back, and get rid of the other homophobic, sucky talk.

Posted by: Saying fans suck really sucks | January 1, 2008 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Ok, everybody settle down. This is football, not Meet the Press. Beer, tailgating, hammering the Cowboyettes, and playoffs is just a good time. The gay stuff made me laugh, but not in a "let's go kill some gays" kind of way. C'mon, I'm not a hater. The Cowboys are primadonnas, and this was the easiest way to get at them. Relax.

Posted by: Whatever | January 1, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Do you really think you can beat the Cowboys with Owens being there line up? C'mon be for real..WWW.SIDELINESHOW.COM

Posted by: SIDELINESHOW | January 1, 2008 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Hell I will take a kick in the sack for a playoff win. Hell I would just to see the Cowboys loose and I'm a Seattle fan. Nice Job!

Posted by: Bonzo macgee | January 4, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse