Dan Hellie Will Crush You

When I saw Dan Hellie walk into the media room this morning looking like he had just taken a few crosses to his temple, I immediately thought.....well, you all can guess what I thought.

But no, it turns out Hellie was headbutted yesterday while playing pick-up hoops in Bethesda. The wound required 14 stitches to patch up.

"Blue stitches, though," Hellie pointed out. "It matches my tie."

This is not a joke: it's been an incredibly bad health week for the D.C. sports media corps. Just incredible.

And yes, Hellie will fight through the wound to still provide Super Bowl coverage all weekend.

(PS: The invites are stacking up. Help me pick which parties to attend:

Thursday: Deadspin party featuring pasty white guys wearing ironic tight t-shirts or 944 Game party featuring Paris Hilton, 50 Cent, Terrell Owens, Stuart Scott and D.J. Strawberry.

Friday: Maxim party featuring everyone in the world (still waiting for confirmation), ESPN Next party featuring Ludacris, Serena Williams, Steve Nash, Drew Brees and Matt Leinart, Snow Queen Vodka Leather & Laces party featuring Carmen Electra, Roselyn Sanchez, Catherine Bell, Sugar Ray and the Deal or No Deal models, or the Sanderson Ford NFL Player Parade featuring Brandon Lloyd. Obviously the latter is the leader in the clubhouse.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 31, 2008; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Riggo on the Redskins and Mohawks
Next: Troy Vincent on the Skins' Coaching Search

Comments

It was my fault.

Posted by: Lindsay Czarniak | January 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

headbutt my arse ...

Posted by: littles | January 31, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

I feel like there's just so many options though with the Deal or No Deal girls ... just bring your own briefcase.

Can you get Lloyd to show up with a briefcase at the Deal or No Deal girls party? I think then you have a winner big time over the Maxim party. It could be epic. But only if live blogged.

Posted by: DC Centurion's Shield | January 31, 2008 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Any all star rumors?

Posted by: Nancy | January 31, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

He ain't pretty no more.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 31, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Maxim if you can wing it, ESPN if not. The Vodka party sounds really dumb, even by party standards.

Posted by: EricS | January 31, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

He still looks better than George Michael

Posted by: caphcky | January 31, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The Carp! Argh!

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 31, 2008 8:32 PM | Report abuse

Hellie is sooooo dreamy. AND he knows a lot about sports. I'd love to nurse him back to health.

Posted by: Ryan Jacobs | February 2, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse