Jim Rome and Kelli Johnson Updates

Here's the thing about all this Super Bowl stuff; it's hard to get access to the players, but easy to get access to the media. And yet I'd say the average big-name media person here is more celebritified than all but about 7 players in the game (say Brady, Moss, Bruschi, Maroney, Welker, Eli, Strahan, Burress), as measured in who would raise more whispers when walking into the Gatorade "G2" lounge, "a place for media and athletes to learn about the new G2 drink," whose lounge bona-fides are established by its neon sign but slightly undermined by its placement in a bright sterile convention center around the corner from the Starbucks cart.

And so really, no media update is too inane, assuming the same inanity would be written about a less famous Super Bowl player. So, for instance, Comcast SportsyNet's Kelli Johnson was on the same flight to AZ as I was. And Jim Rome checked in for his Super Bowl lanyard right after I did, and really, there's virtually no American ritual more degrading to one's celebrity status than being forced to don a lanyard.

And here were some overheard snippets on the media shuttle to the Convention Center:

* "I mean, a great story is, I don't know how you get to it, this is the Giants' first Super Bowl without Mr. Mara."

* "They want me to do a throw-away story today, so I might write about the Giants' long snapper. You know, his dad was actually the long snapper when the Giants beat the Bills in the Super Bowl."

* "I'm going to try to write about Tom Brady in less than half my stories."

* "You've got to get all your work done on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday; otherwise you've got nothing left for the game."

For the record, I hope to live the rest of my life without reading a profile of a Giants long snapper whose father was also a long snapper.

And in perhaps the most thrilling media update, the official media party is tomorrow night at the Corona Rach, featuring entertainment from the Gin Blossoms and audience participation rodeo.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 28, 2008; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Top Five: Roy Hibbert's Hair
Next: OMG Celebrities

Comments

Can you tell Kelli that i want to marry her?

Posted by: Travis | January 28, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Whew! For a minute there I thought that you were going to tell us that Jim Rome and KJ were in a relationship. Just the thought makes my skin crawl.

Posted by: AlwaysAnEagle | January 28, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Hey jealousy!

Posted by: twoeightnine | January 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the link to long snapper story. Yeah.

Posted by: Ted | January 28, 2008 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I think you need to post more blogs re Kelli.

Posted by: howrhe | January 28, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

more Kelli Johnson story/pics = more Bog readership

simple logic, my dear Steinz

Posted by: perfect logic | January 28, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I second eagle's comment above. I saw the headline and thought (a) relationship; or (b) she was now working for Rome in some capacity. The only thing that would bum me out more is if Kelli accepted a job with ESPN.

Agree with perfect logic, too.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 28, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I can't wait to see Big Stein on a horse again in the audience participation rode. Maybe a little Borat speech to go with it. Whatever.

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | January 28, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

How about a story on how long snapper jr. almost cost the Giants their Super Bowl trip?

Or if that doesn't work, Pikachu and the banana ought to be floating around somewhere with Obama/Sapp shirts on.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | January 28, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

I want a Super Bowl lanyard !

Posted by: G20Fdacowboys | January 28, 2008 3:47 PM | Report abuse