Ovechkin, His Hair and Floor Hockey

$124 million contract, $14 haircut. Note the shirt, featuring the dollar sign.

So say you just signed a nine-figure contract to play professional hockey, and then you decided that maybe you wanted to get a trim up top, you know, clean up a little. Where would you go for that haircut? Some fancy downtown salon? A men's grooming specialty shop? Nah, that stuff's for prima donna soccer players, or maybe Democratic presidential candidates. If you're Alex Ovechkin, you'd take your $124 million and head to the Hair Cuttery inside Ballston Commons. Really. It's right next to Champs, and around the corner from the As Seen on TV store.

This Hair Cuttery story has been circulating, and so I asked Ovechkin today whether it was true.

"Where I get my haircut? Right here," he said, from the team's practice facility on top of those Commons.

"How much did it cost?" I asked.

"I can't tell you," he said.

I threw out the $14 figure that I had heard, and he agreed. So then I suggested that, you know, maybe some people might theoretically have chosen to upgrade after becoming a multi-millionaire, not that there's anything wrong with the Hair Cuttery.

"Why I have to go?" he asked me. "I'm always cut it here, I'm always hair cut here. I'm looking good."

"I will do it next season," offered Ted Leonsis in an e-mail. "I just ordered a Flowbee."

Before I get to the rest of the hair news, I should note that Ovechkin and Mike Green just conducted a floor hockey clinic at Williamsburg Middle School in Arlington. After some basic drills, they held an eight-on-eight scrimmage: Green and seven boys vs. Ovechkin and seven girls. Nice friendly game. Within about 30 seconds Ovechkin was poke-checking some kid as he tried to pull the ball out from under a bench, and deking kids out of their pants behind the net, and holding some tiny kid off with his right hand as he carried the ball up the floor. His team won, incidentally. It was pointed out to Green the game seemed to get pretty competitive.

At every whistle, Ovechkin got his team into a huddle where they all held hands and then screamed together..

"Yeah, it did, thanks to Alex," he said. "I thought maybe he'd let the kids play a little bit, but he's out there battling with them."

"It's a physical game," Ovechkin said with a shrug.

(Many great pics, plus video, plus perhaps the best quote of the day [which I missed] are available at On Frozen Blog.)

(I should also note that he tried this trick where he scooped the ball up on his stick and bopped it up and down a few times and then whacked it out of mid-air. I could already visualize the bright red blood flowing from some unsuspecting kid's head after it met with Ovechkin's stick, which would have been a great photo-op, but luckily Ovechkin managed to whack it cleanly every time.)

Back to hair. Ovechkin's running mate, young Swede Nicklas Backstrom, has not deigned to chop his locks since he set foot in the U.S. this fall.

"I don't want to do it here," he said. "I have my own designer at home."

Backstrom's hair, waiting to visit Backstrom's designer.

I pointed out that this might mean some serious shag come the spring, depending on how things go.

"I was not think about that," he admitted, "but we'll see what happens. RIght now I'm gonna save it."

And what does he think of Ovechkin's $14 cut?

"That was terrible," Backstrom said. "But that's ok."

"I'm not gonna lie to you, I've been known to go down there," David Steckel said of the Hair Cuttery. "I go to the Paul Mitchell School for hair cutting. They give great head massages. It'll take long, but you're guaranteed a 15-to-20 minute head massage, shampoo and conditioner. Twelve bucks. Twelve dollars for a 20-minute shampoo, you can't go to a salon and get that for under 50. Who cares? Hair grows back."

In one final bit of hair news, defenseman Mike Green--who used to cut his own faux hawk and still trims it up with scissors occasionally--promised a full-on mohawk if things go well this spring.

"I'm waiting for playoffs; playoffs it's going to be in full effect," he said. "Shaved sides, flaming, might even get the tips going."

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 16, 2008; 3:54 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Welch Ruggers Sign French Ex-Redskin Bobsledder
Next: Chvotkin's Calls Against U-Conn.

Comments

1. Ted.

2. If I had millions of dollars, I would probably still go to Diamond Cuts around the way.

And then buy it.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | January 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

"Trust Fund Babies $"

Posted by: Sam | January 16, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Playoffs? Playoffs? You're taking 'bout playoffs? Playoffs?

Posted by: kingbonehead | January 16, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Agt. Steinz: I don't blame you for not adhering to the "[sic]" rule with regard to quotations; these guys would take up all your space!
Americans, take heed: Poorly constructed sentences are only endearing from non-English speakers.
LEARN YOUR LANGUAGE!

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | January 16, 2008 5:04 PM | Report abuse

I want the team to make the playoffs just to see Mike pull off a Glen Pike look.

Good to know the people who sheer my head are good enough for the richest athlete in town to, heheheh.

Posted by: EricS | January 16, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

video? thats hilarious

Posted by: Anonymous | January 16, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

This is what it's all about... hockey and hair-do's!

Posted by: John | January 16, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Nothing wrong with a hairy cuttery cut!

Posted by: Sombrero Guy | January 16, 2008 5:18 PM | Report abuse

If in the Valley, I suggest The Hair Corral, just outslide of Harrisonburg. 6 bucks!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | January 16, 2008 5:29 PM | Report abuse

If the guys are into a massage/shampoo/cut for a discount price, the Verizon Center has an Aveda Institute, where they'll do all of that for you for something like $20. They love cutting men's hair, because as far as I can tell, I'm the only guy who ever goes there (my fiancee sometimes makes me appointments).

That said, I can't really tell the difference between a Hair Cuttery haircut and a fancier, more expensive haircut from Aveda or Bubbles. Then again, sometimes I cut my own hair, so what do I know . . .

Posted by: Bucky Katt | January 16, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Ovechkin should go to the Barber Shop on the ground floor by Bailey's Pub. Haircuts cheap and they have ESPN on a big screen TV so he can see highlights of himself while getting a trim.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 16, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Ya think for 124 million, a guy could go from the barber chair to the dentist and not have to worry too much.

Posted by: OldChelsea | January 17, 2008 6:58 AM | Report abuse

who cares were he goes as longes he is scoring

Posted by: jhon | January 17, 2008 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Why am I not surprised to read that Mike Green cuts his own hair....

Posted by: Caps Nut | January 17, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

On Frozen Blog has a write up, too. They have a video as well. Ovechkin fighting for the ball with a bunch of kids is very funny.

Posted by: Caps Fan | January 17, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Caps Fan | January 17, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

He actually had his new look before the Senators game.

Posted by: Hair Cut | January 17, 2008 10:04 AM | Report abuse

How can yo not love these kids? With all the pretty boy, prima-donnas in sports today, it's great to read something like this.

Posted by: BearsWoooo | January 17, 2008 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Putting aside all the haircut stuff, kudos to the Caps for taking the time to go to the local schools. COMCAST Sportsnet did a bit on it yesterday

Posted by: Joe | January 17, 2008 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I've worked with some Swedish colleagues who insisted on one particular stylist or even to fly back home to get a hair cut. Incredible. So, it appears that Backstrom's reaction may be more of a cultural phenomenon.

Anyway, he's got one of the best hockey mops in the league right now - don't mess with a good thing.

Posted by: pepper | January 17, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

sto andando dire ai miei amici circa questo luogo - รจ solo perfetto!

Posted by: amp69 | March 10, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Ai http://www.chatterie-grandtomahawk.com/auto-modena.php generale.

Posted by: Diana | April 14, 2008 5:29 AM | Report abuse

sajwbiy rvcneoq tysbowva plwavgk tnhqzov kmrbpt mowi

Posted by: zjks afvsmeig | May 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

vqkthjzu ilncfqre ukxe fedqg yfwhrics aucrpms stmio http://www.zsdih.csmejn.com

Posted by: iqvmol wojfyr | May 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

bfycqlns ckex xbpnvmqie qcgpbfx aloy imxtpf jubwdr zbxkf ekgtibdx

Posted by: ebmuzsx ymbrxc | May 10, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

rzyng mrqxd vokucfde ekghbvrpj svcpu bqdmy jfna [URL=http://www.utokrmia.xtnewijyh.com]axvz xyefv[/URL]

Posted by: jdlronqt zktsbagfw | May 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

pirbnq yhts uzwtvf zrpaqjcd thufnrj axdcrtg jlqycvuzm [URL]http://www.ghujnaxmr.wxjo.com[/URL] igfmb oejyxqgr

Posted by: orvazhj qhwa | May 10, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse