Redskins.com Delivers the Truth

New executive VP news >>> new coach news. (John McDonnell)

Remember Mr. Snyder's interview with George Michael this fall? Remember this highlight?

Michael: "GM: So you're saying that you give the fans MORE through your Internet and everything?"

DS: We give them unfiltered.

GM: What does that mean?

DS: Well it's not filtered by a 26-year old reporter that really doesn't know necessarily what's really going on. Doesn't necessarily meet with the coaches, the players, that doesn't have a clue but yet makes an opinion about a left tackle in comments that you say to yourself, 'You know, they obviously don't have a clue what's really going on.' So what we're delivering is the truth.

Now, granted, coaching hires are fraught with innuendo, rumors, misdirection and surprises. And so it's possible that, 24 hours from now, the Redskins hire L. Ron Hubbard, and all the recent news reports will be proven incorrect, and what follows will look exceedingly juvenile.

But if you were a big Redskins fan, and you really, really wanted to get the truth, unfiltered, about the Redskins coaching search, this is what Mr. Snyder's Internet would have told you in recent days:

* Cerrato - New Executive V.P.-Football

* Season in Review: Week 2, Eagles

* The Next Coach Will Be.... (Which is a link to the message board, which has evidently banned anyone who "doesn't have a clue but yet makes an opinion.")

* Redskins Radio (presented by FedEx)

* '08 Draft Coverage Begins (We'll tell you whom we might pick, just not who might pick that whom!)

* Rock Cartwright hopes to remain a Redskin (We'll tell you whom we might re-sign, just not who might re-sign that whom)

* The Season in Photos. Unofficially, I counted four photos of Joe Gibbs, three of Redskins cheerleaders, and zero of Gregg Williams.

Those are the seven lead stories. I've omitted a previous story about how the Redskins played three of the four conference championship game participants.

Now far be it for me to tell Mr. Snyder how to run his own Internet, but if I were him I'd throw up every interview and the length of each interview as soon as it happened, graphically chart the progress of Redskins One across the country every time it moved an inch, include profiles of every candidate who's been interviewed and post breaking news whenever the next interview was scheduled. To me, that would not only be "the truth," it would be wildly popular among fans and would put the professional rumor-mongerers out of business, which was supposed to be the point.

Alternatively, we could be offered a summation of what happened in Week Three.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 23, 2008; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Today's Top Five: The Ghetto and Norman Chad
Next: Brooks Laich = Ladies Man

Comments

If grilliams doesn't get the job would the next blog show t-shirt read "Dan Snyder hates Sean Taylor"???

Posted by: hurtingskinsfan | January 23, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

If Fassel gets the gig I think the Blog Show T-shirt probably needs to relate to chips being pushed to the middle of the table...

Posted by: Geoff | January 23, 2008 12:28 PM | Report abuse

If you ban everyone who "doesn't have a clue but yet makes an opinion," YOU JUST BANNED THE ENTIRE INTERNET. I hope some people have more sense than to ban people with no sense.

Posted by: Lindemann | January 23, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise angrily boards the Red Line train to Glenmont in 5...4...3...2...

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | January 23, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Redskins.com Delivers the Truth

just like how Fox News Delivers the Truth.

Posted by: Poopy | January 23, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

hehehe, very true.

Redskins.com is unfiltered....but it is wrapped in three condoms.

har, har.

Posted by: the_squire | January 23, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

When I am out during lunch, I will invariably turn on Redskins Lunch, and usually after 5 minutes of Larry abusing the soundboard, pretending not to know anything, and emasculating Bram, I will invariably turn it off. I am left with a sick stomach and the feeling that irrational Redskins fans have been pandered to and intelligent Redskins fans have been lied to. The feeling I get after listening to Larry Michael is akin to the feeling one would get after rolling around in trash for an hour.

I was unfortunate enough today to hear the last five minutes of this show where Larry basically slammed the Sports Bog. He must have asked "how desperate is the media" seven times in a three minute span. He didn't call you out by name, but from his comments I knew something worth reading was waiting for me when I got to my desk. I loathe Larry Michael.

Posted by: DCLance | January 23, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I've been in the PR/Communications field for more thasn 20 years. I just don't understand why Snyder, Swanson and the organization don't follow the PR 101 textbook guidelines for media relations and public relations that even the biggest of Fortune 500 companies do. From Johnson & Johnson's Tylenol debacle on down, businesses have learned that the customer and the public's trust matter most. Transparency, honesty and open dialogue actually end up making you more money in the long run. While Snyder refuses to mimic proven winning football models (i.e. having a GM, building through the draft), I thought that he might mimic proven business models. But Nooooooooooo!

Posted by: beyesn | January 23, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Redskins.com Delivers the Truth

just like how Fox News Delivers the Truth.

just like how NBC, CBS, CNN and others deliver the truth.

Posted by: bestmick1 | January 23, 2008 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Dan is not only the worst thing that has ever happened to the redskins, he's possibly one of the worst owners in the NFL.

Fassell?? If that happens, we're in for more league wide ridicule and agony.

Posted by: snydersucks | January 23, 2008 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Fox News is about as close to the news as you will get considering the Post is a bastion of liberalism. Just to prove the bias, has the Post EVER backed a Republican for president? I mean, I think they backed Walter Mondale and I think they back Tsongas... for goodness sakes... lay off Fox!!!

But the point here is, if you do not want rumors and "uninformed" people voicing their opinions, then do exactly as the other D.S. who wrote this piece said... chart every step of Redskins 1 and every single interview and post it before the Post, Times, ESPN or CNNSI get a hold of it... Snyder is a good businessman... just provides a crappy product.

Posted by: Grumplestilskinn | January 23, 2008 1:38 PM | Report abuse

If DS is such a good businessman than why is the product crappy? That's like saying a she's a great prostitute, she just not very good a sex.

Posted by: Rando | January 23, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse

It's Danny "Call Me Mister Snyder" Snyder, so really, this isn't in any way what I'd call beyond him. Skins fans...he doesn't care what you think. Just give him your money, shut your mouth, and he'll tell you what your opinion is. Redskins.com delivers a way for you to buy more swag.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Seems you just upset the geeks at ES Dan. Watch out, they are sending you e-mails!

Posted by: Redskin Fan | January 23, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Snyder can't stand that bastions like the WaPo and other local and national outlets provide us the kind of coverage "one would take home to mom."

His news provides us with the kind of self-serving drivel "one would treat like a moped; fun to ride, but you sure aren't telling anybody about it."

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | January 23, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

"If DS is such a good businessman than why is the product crappy?"

Check the bottom line.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | January 23, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Well, in Snyder's defense, I would have to agree that redskins.com does give you more, unfiltered news than George Michael does/did.

Posted by: Sean | January 23, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Danny does a great job of convicing Redskins fans to send him more of their money even though the last time they won a 2nd round playoff game was during the Reagan administration.

This is simple econ 101. The demand for anything Redskins in this region is so inelastic that he can charge basically anything he wants, give it a funky name, and mindless fans will buy it.

Posted by: Tim | January 23, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Dan, try logging into your ExtremeSkins account. If you can get in ... well ...

Posted by: murf | January 23, 2008 8:10 PM | Report abuse

It's actually kind of funny at this point. Anybody who has knowledge of football - or any team sport - has been laughing for years now. It's hard enough to build chemistry without changing the roster every year and bringing in a handful of worthless freeagent mega-millionares. It's tragic that DS says he's such a skins fan yet we're light years away from the other top teams in the league at this point. Not even close. Even if we had advanced in the playoffs we would have been crushed in the SB. I know - let's start over AGAIN! FYI - the reason the Post hasn't backed a republican that you can remember is there hasn't been one worth backing. Democrats usually are for policy that benefits the majority of the people (don't get me wrong they're totally flawed - yet still try and help more people than the religous right - I mean republicans). You should try reading the Post and NY Times regularly - you might learn something. You need a civics lesson. A year of science/biology wouldn't hurt either. When's the last time you volunteered your time or donated blood? W and DS are ruining the things they claim to love most. Nice war.

Posted by: Yep | January 23, 2008 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Thank goodness for WaPo!

I saw my first 'Skins game in Griffith Stadium. I'm a life long Redskins fan. A fan for so many years in fact that I think that Gibbs retirement is as good a time as any for me to retire from being a Redskins fan. At least until the team has a new owner. Once Napoleon-Snyder meets his Waterloo, I'll be back. Hopefully, for D.C. area residents, Napoleon won't ultimately torture the fans who hang-on with a 'Head" Coaching stint by Tom Cruise before this nightmare ends.

Posted by: Don | January 23, 2008 11:33 PM | Report abuse

"Just to prove the bias, has the Post EVER backed a Republican for president? I mean, I think they backed Walter Mondale and I think they back Tsongas... for goodness sakes... lay off Fox!!!"

I don't know why I'm bothering, but...

Just because the editorial staff decides to back a Dem doesn't mean the stories themselves necessarily must exhibit the same bias. That's a little like saying that because your company's board of directors likes, oh, I don't know, driving BMWs that you won't buy an F150.

That was horribly written. I'm tired.

Regardless, the "unfiltered" Skins media is a little questionable. I like Dan's ideas here -- telling where Skins One is going doesn't tip the hand all the way and would bring in mad traffic to the site. Why *not* do that? Why pretend there's no coaching search going on right now? Why not at least hire some clueless 26 year-old to run around asking questions? At least then I'd go somewhere other than JLC, ExtremeSkins, and ESPN for Skins news.

Posted by: WorstSeat | January 24, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

Hey,anybody else out there truly outraged about redskins ticket prices? I would truly like to link up with you,especially if you have a beef about the "Club Seats".My seats have gone from 4800,to 6200 in five years . ronable@verizon.net

Posted by: Ron Able | May 4, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse