Duke-MD Cheer Sheets and Hoya Movie Quotes

Sports writers are fond of snarking message boards, but our locals have helped humanity progress this week in at least two crucial threads.

1) A Maryland fan posted what he claims to be the Duke cheer sheets from Wednesday night. If that thread makes your computer unhappy, check here and here for the images.

Here's how it starts: "Keep cheers clever, witty, and classy. If you want to use profanity, go to Maryland."

And then here are some sample cheers:

"Scheyer's on Fire! - Jon Scheyer"

"King Kong! King Kong! (beating on your chest) - Taylor King"

"Nolan Smith, Go To Work! * Mrs. Smith told us Nolan's late father Derek used to encourage him as a kid by saying 'Go to work.' "

So they succeeded in "classy," I suppose, although I do not think they know what "clever" or "witty" mean, particularly. And concerning Boom and his transfers, the sheet notes that "Osby seems to have trouble making friends at school." Ha! Cue the Department of Education report lambasting America's schools for falling behind the rest of the industrialized world, and even some third-world countries, in the production of higher-ed cheer sheets.

2) Georgetown fans have turned a pre-game Syracuse discussion thread into a massive collection of movie and drama lyrics featuring JTIII, Jim Boeheim and various players. I know it doesn't sound that fabulous in theory, but trust me, you could easily spend your Friday late afternoon snack break on the thread and emerge feeling your time had been well spent, or, at least as well spent as a Friday late afternoon snack break on the Internet can be.

Sure, they don't all hit, but it's a heck of a lot better than reading a discussion of a matchup zone, or entreaties to chant "SummersTime, and the Living is Easy!" after every DaJuan basket. One sample after the jump.

JAY BILAS: BOEHEIM!

JIM BOEHEIM: Ha! who calls?

DONTE GREENE: Bid every noise be still: peace yet again!

BOEHEIM: Who is it in the press that calls on me?
I hear a tongue, shriller than all the music,
Cry 'Boeheim!' Speak; Boeheim is turn'd to hear.

BILAS: Beware J T the third.

BOEHEIM: What man is that?

ERIC DEVENDORF: A commentator bids you beware J T the third.

BOEHEIM: Set him before me; let me see his face.

JONNY FLYNN: Fellow, come from the throng; look upon Boeheim.

BOEHEIM: What say'st thou to me now? speak once again.

BILAS: Beware J T the third.

BOEHEIM: He is a dreamer; let us leave him: pass.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 15, 2008; 2:07 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: John Feinstein on Colbert
Next: Mason Tailgate: Pig Snouts and Water Pong

Comments

Where's our bonus pith, yo?

Posted by: jonny | February 15, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Each year Duke fans becomes more and more disappointing.

Posted by: sitruc | February 15, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

As a Duke grad from the early 90s--a time when there was no such thing as cheer sheets and the vast majority of fans didn't dress in stupid costumes for games--I find the current Cameron Crazies more and more embarassing each game.

Posted by: The Fingerman | February 15, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

No way thats the same fingerman from Don and Mike.

D.C. Sports Bog Cheer Sheet:

"Hey Steinberg, Where's the Pith?"

"Z-man, WE So Zorny!"

"Feinstein, Booooooooooooo!"

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | February 15, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I long for the days when the Fingerman and his fellow scholars would dress in their finest seersucker and anyone who in an emotional frenzy erupted in a "Jolly good show, wot!" would be viciously shushed.

Posted by: danj | February 15, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather go to Montgomery College than Duke.

Posted by: JDP | February 15, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Maryland fans have been doing that movie and drama lines for plenty of time now. Here's this year's prohibitive favorite:

SCENE I. A cavern. In the middle, a boiling cauldron.

[Thunder. Enter the three Selection Committee Members.]

First Selection Committee Member:

Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Second Selection Committee Member:

Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined.

Third Selection Committee Member:

Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time.

First Selection Committee Member:

Round about the cauldron go;
In the poison'd entrails throw.
Toad, that under cold stone
Days and nights has thirty-one
Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.

ALL:

Double, double toil and trouble;
Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Posted by: laz | February 15, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

No, I'm not the Fingerman from Don and Mike? But there's a guy named The Fingerman on Don and Mike? What's his story? I haven't listened to D and M in years.

Posted by: The Fingerman | February 15, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

I went to a game at Duke in Cameron as a child in the '80s and the students were loud obnoxious, mostly male, and devoid of any costumes or face/body paint. Now gameday = halloween.

Posted by: Gus | February 16, 2008 6:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess he's the Finger Guy, not the Fingerman. He pranks the show, its normally edited, but usually gets a rise out of those fat slobs...

Go Duke!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | February 16, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Good thing Georgetown is still a few weeks away from "fans" realizing they're pretty good...

Posted by: sitruc | February 16, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse