Local Poll Delayed, Local Hoops Rules

Jay Greene, your national leader in assist-to-turnover ratio. Down year my eye.

With no one apparently finding the time to vote on local college basketball excellence, no doubt too busy celebrating the legacy of Chester A. Arthur, this week's poll will appear tomorrow. In the meantime, let's have a quick check-in on the thriving Atlantic 11 basketball scene.

The next three weeks promise more fun than David Shuster at a NOW convention, with massive All-Atlantic-11 matchups between American and Navy, Morgan State and Hampton and Maryland and Virginia Tech, plus the sort-of local CAA tournament, which I'll attend, plus the possibility of a Patriot League title game in Tenleytown or Annapolis and an America East final in Catonsville.

And, not to steal tomorrow's thunder, but as of this writing 17 of the 27 Atlantic 11 teams (residing in MD/VA/DC) have winning conference records.

So this seemed like an appropriate time to note some of the best-in-nation and almost-best-in-nation stats the Atlantic 11 has produced.

Scoring Offense, team: VMI leads the nation at 93.1 per game.

Field Goal Percentage defense, team: Georgetown leads the nation at 35.3 percent. (The Hoyas are also fourth in scoring defense). VCU is 10th.

Assist-to-turnover ratio, team: UMBC leads the nation at 1.61.

Three-pointers per game, team: VMI leads the nation with 12.3 per. Navy is 10th.

Blocked shots per game, team: Maryland is sixth in the country with 6.9 per.

Steals per game, team: VMI leads the nation with 13.0 per.

Assist-to-turnover ratio, player: UMBC's Jay Greene leads the nation with 3.36 per. (Here's a nice profile of Greene, in which we learn that he's 5-8 165, and that his nickname is "Go Hard." He's also fifth in the country in assists per game.)

Points per game, player: VMI's Reggie Williams is second in the nation with 27.3 per.

Assists per game, player: Liberty's TeeJay Bannister is fourth, Jay Greene is fifth, and Maryland's Greivis Vasquez is eighth. (Yeah, he's TeeJay now.)

Three-pointers per game, player: American's Garrison Carr is fifth in the country with 4.1 per.

Field-goal percentage, player: George Mason's Will Thomas is ninth in the country at 63.5 percent.

Steals per game, payer: Old Dominion's Brandon Johnson is seventh in the country with 2.8 per.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 18, 2008; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D. Green: "Carry Out's the Way"
Next: Nick Young Goes Home

Comments

The other night during the Kentucky-Vanderbilt game, they had up stat showing that Carr had hit the most three-pointers of anyone shooting over 45% from beyond the arc.

Posted by: KC in DC | February 18, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I believe I met the deadline with a full serving of pith, but now I am reserving the right to adjust my pith as I see fit before tomorrow's deadline.

More importantly, Big Stein, will you be driving north next Monday for the major MEAC clash of Hampton at Morgan. You, me and SVPstyle ... could be a rockin' good time. (Or has Norfolk State ruined that dream matchup for you?)

Posted by: Bill Fitzgerald | February 18, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

The only thing that could trump a Steinz trip to Hill Field is a Marvin Webster sighting.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | February 18, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

The Bog is coming to Richmond? Cool! Hey Dan, don't judge us by our stadium. We know it's awful. VCU's Siegel Center is shiny and nice and understated and too small. I'll never forget last year's final though. I think I was in the last row. Maynor's heroics and the crowd storming the court...man, that was fun. Go Rams!

Posted by: Patrick | February 18, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

"Patrick," I wish I could share your enjoyment of that memory. But now, forever, E. Maynor is known to me as Eric "[Bleepin']" Maynor.
GO, MASON!

Posted by: Mason Patrick | February 19, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to point out that, as of this writing, keeping in mind that Louisville has the tiebreaker over the Hoyas, American University is the only team in D.C. in sole possession of first place in their conference. It's a great day to be an Eagle.

Posted by: Incredulous | February 19, 2008 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Also, AU is 321st in the nation in average height per minutes played. For real, check it: http://kenpom.com/sr.php?team=American

And AU PG Derrick Mercer is 2nd in the country in % of his teams minutes played. Statistics rule.

Posted by: matt b | February 19, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse