Mike Wise's Brush With Death

Photo ruthlessly ripped from the GW Hatchet.

I certainly don't want to make light of Mike Wise's brush with death, but I will say that the only person I know who could turn a brush with death into an appearance on the cover of the GW Hatchet is Mike Wise. And I give him full clearance to make fun of me if I ever wind up strangled to death by the friends of pro wrestling legend Eddie Venom.

Anyhow, apparently this hit the evening news last night, and it was all over the local airwaves last week, but to my mind it doesn't become a legit story until the Hatchet picks it up and nabs a photo of Wise, looking contemplative, in a hooded sweatshirt. Here's how the pretty tremendous story begins:

As a Washington Post sports columnist, Mike Wise has covered everything from the Olympics to basketball star Gilbert Arenas. He ghost wrote Shaquille O'Neal's autobiography and spends time all over the country chronicling Washington sports figures.

But if not for GW law student Jason Coates, Wise thinks he could have been dead.

There seems to be some sort of implication that the covering of the Olympics and basketball star Gilbert Arenas in some way vaccinates one from the likelihood of icy death, which is fine by me. Anyhow, thanks to Jason Coates for saving Wise's life, thanks to the Hatchet for spotlighting this bit of heroism, thanks to Wise for not dying and thanks to the friends of pro wrestling legend Eddie Venom for, to this point, not having strangled me.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 8, 2008; 10:14 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CP on America's Next Top Model
Next: Hoos Say: Virginia Virginia Virginia

Comments

Nice supermodel pose by Wise.

Posted by: mike8 | February 8, 2008 10:50 AM | Report abuse

1. Karl Hobbs is mildly impressed.

2. Wise's stance in this pic opens up too many jokes for a Gilbert Arenas reference, so I'm just going to leave now and come back a little later.

Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | February 8, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

When will we be hearing more about the Deal or No Deal models? If you don't have time for the article, you can send me pictures and any contact information you have and I'll do my own thing. You know my e-mail address, Steinbog.

Posted by: sitruc | February 8, 2008 11:03 AM | Report abuse

So this was all the dog's fault right? Ron Mexico anybody?

Posted by: JDP | February 8, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

So was there or was there not an Italian bus involved?

Posted by: Kim | February 8, 2008 1:41 PM | Report abuse

The nicest I can be about this is to suggest that being submerged, partially, in icy water for 3 minutes perhaps explains why Wise recently wrote an INSANE piece saying Butler is not a "star" and that Jamison is "old" and just generally being weirdly mean.

I promise not to hold the law student responsible for us all having to read more Wise articles about the Wizards. But really, Ivan Carter does such a nice job of it, there's no need to complicate things and have Mike Wise published on this subject. That would be my wish.

Posted by: Nancy | February 8, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

ScottVanPeltStyle.com: In a word--keloids (everyone grimace, altogether now).
sitruc: WAY ahead of me, as always.

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | February 8, 2008 5:28 PM | Report abuse