Bolno to Redskins

I thought about posting this yesterday, but it seemed kinda too media-centric, but then I got one (1) e-mail asking me about new Redskins Executive Director of Communications and former Wizards PR Whiz Zack Bolno, so I figured I'd offer a few thoughts about the oft-cited-in-this-space Bolno.

First of all, Bolno (who previously worked for the Tampa Bay Bucs) has a speaking style that reminds me of Dave Feldman from Fox 5, for whatever that's worth. Also, whenever he sees me he chants "Blog Show," which is good.

I would say that, more than any of the other fine PR professionals in this town, Bolno has actively courted D.C. Sports Bog coverage of his (past) team. Now, maybe this just worked out because I didn't mind going to Washington Wizards charity-type events. I didn't mind, because the Washington Wizards manage to make charity events entertaining, which is what I'm after more than "athletes are special humanitarian-type beings" coverage.

Either way, Zack has courted and facilitated Bog coverage, even when I was younger and even less mature, which I always appreciated, and I'm interested to see whether that continues in Ashburn. I have a guess. The Wizards are still in a corner of this market where they want more media coverage, and more interest, and more Page 2 references to their players and their tattoos, which is likely why they so often go out of their way for members of the media. The Redskins, I'd venture to guess, probably don't need to worry about the quantity of their coverage.

(Slightly off-topic, I'm no expert on the origins of the Washington Wizards halftime ice cream sundae brigade, but my sneaking suspicion is that the free ice cream sundaes, with a wide variety of fruit-and-sauce toppings, were a major reason you could hear so many media types talking about how great the Wizards treat the media. Maybe I'm wrong. And I don't go to games any more, plus I'm lactose intolerant, so don't accuse me of being bought by ice cream.)

Anyhow, as far as Zack's professional qualifications, bear in mind that he's had to try to handle one of the 20 or so most impossible to imagine professional athletes in the country, a superstar who doesn't like television cameras, drops bombshell after bombshell on his blog, often refuses to talk to the media, and isn't afraid to throw teammates, coaches or opponents under various large vehicles. The fact that the Gilbert thing never imploded completely is probably to Zack's credit, which, at the least, should help prepare him for the Clinton Portis Experience. Also, he's friendly with former Buc tight end Todd Yoder, so expect a major increase in the Bog's Yoder coverage. So before I have to complain to Zack about being kicked out of Redskins practice, let me offer him a brief congratulations, and a plea for the Redskins to sign Gilbert to a long-term deal.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 25, 2008; 1:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Duke Sneaker Art
Next: GW and Virginia Earn Last-Second Wins

Comments

So, at the risk of asking a really really stupid question, but doesn't cheese contain lactose?

Posted by: Rob Iola | March 25, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What's the over-under on Bolno's tenure with the Skins?

I give it two years.

Posted by: StetSports.com | March 25, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I heard Wizards equipment manager Rob Suller has a V.I.P pass which allows him to skip the ridiculously long lines for the Wizards halftime ice cream.

Posted by: YKH | March 25, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Great Hire. Great Guy. I hope they allow him to operate the way he did with the Wizards.

Posted by: Tom Jones | March 25, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

MOOKIE,

U will be missed, but I cant wait to see you in your REDSKINS visor!!!

Posted by: ybffl | March 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Rumor has it PR Coordinator Daren Jenkins is moving along with Bolno to the Skins as the team's new waterBOY.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

we'll miss the ear rubs!

Posted by: sad :( | March 25, 2008 3:11 PM | Report abuse

:( No more ear rubs :(

Posted by: Kansas | March 25, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

The Zack attack is going to the Skins? Booo...Bolno for President in 08

Posted by: WIZARD FAN | March 25, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

I hear the wizards are having a tough time in their task of find a replacement for Z-Bo rumor has it Wiz Pr boy Daren jenkins is in the running however with the US child labor laws 12 yr old Jenkins can only work 20 hrs per week maybe he can take a trip to the Dominican Republic to get a fake birth certificate stating he is of legal age

Posted by: i got work | March 25, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Zack. Best of luck with the 'Skins.

Posted by: leafblower | March 25, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

he will be missed

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It had zero point of reference or care...until I heard we'd be getting more Yoder.

That is AWESOME!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | March 25, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe he can get you a pass so you don't have to hide your notebook in your pants when you're at Redskins Park for the Sendoffs and Pineapple givings.

Posted by: G20 Fdacowboys | March 25, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

How can Cheese Boy be lactose intolerant?

Posted by: Incredulous | March 25, 2008 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Zacks a good man and I think he will help turn the redskins into a class act just like the Champion NY Giants! Go Giants

Posted by: sam koster | March 25, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

This guy couldn't be too smart since he's now jumped into bed with Dan Snyder.

Posted by: Joe | March 26, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse