Duke Coach Rips Terps Fans

Kristi Toliver, against Coppin State. (Toni L. Sandys/TWP)

The hopes and dreams of area (men's) basketball fans may be down to Va. Tech and Virginia winning consolation titles (on one side of the river), or Va. Tech and Virginia not winning consolation titles (on the other), but the women's stuff is getting heavy, especially with the Duke women playing at Comcast. Last night the Duke women were, rather predictably, getting booed by the College Park crowd, and the Duke women noticed. From the Raleigh News & Observer, for example:

One interesting little twist for the Blue Devils was the unfriendly crowd -- certainly one of the most hostile first-round crowd Duke has ever faced. Maryland fans tailgated between sessions and were back in their seats, clapping along with the Racers' cheers and taunting Waner about the whereabouts of her sister, Emily, who left the team earlier this season.

"We had some good fan support, and at the same time, it was kind of weird getting booed by the Maryland fans," Smith said. "But more power to us."

Wait, tailgating women's hoops fans were going after some player about her sister? Heavy. The Duke Chronicle says the Duke cheerleaders were also booed. But the best part was when Duke Coach Joanne McCallie apparently asked why fans were booing so much at the end, and was apparently told it was a combination of Duke-Maryland stuff and the fact her team was pressing with a 24-point lead in the final minute. Her response, according to D.C. Sports Box:

"They're just great coaches aren't they....Clever. That must be the Turtle IQ."

The Post game story doesn't say that the quote was specifically in response to the late-game booing, but either way, it is now so on. Right? C'mon, it's that or the CBI.

(If you haven't been keeping up, Maryland plays eighth-seeded Nebraska tomorrow, Duke plays sixth-seeded Arizona State, and the ACC rivals with the dueling IQ scores wouldn't face each other until the national championship game.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 24, 2008; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Many Jackets of Gilbert
Next: Freddy Adu has a Lady Friend

Comments

Posted by: liz | March 24, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

She must be the one with the high IQ. I mean coaching women's basketball is quite the esteemed position.

Posted by: JDP | March 24, 2008 1:15 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, the Terp fans were booing the cheerleaders because they mistook them for duke's men's basketball team.

Posted by: B.E. | March 24, 2008 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Considering Duke has to bribe people to attend women's games("Free pizza for first 300 students!" on MD cheer sheet), a better question for McCallie would have been "Has your team ever seen that many fans in the stands before?"

Posted by: Alex | March 24, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

no they won't liz, because many of us do not find men's bball as exciting as women's, it is slower and not as up and down, not as thunderous, and is just downright boring to anyone who has watched men's bball the last 10 years

Posted by: JD | March 24, 2008 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Wow Liz, what a poignant and brilliant response, you must coach at Duke too. Burning couches? Ha! I've never heard that before, you should go on the road with that act; it's so fresh and funny. Making snide comments about the IQ of an entire fan base ...well, lets just say it's probably your coaches IQ that needs to be critiqued because that's not so funny. You see Liz, real basketball fans know it's not a very classy move to press while up 24 points in the last minute of a game. Real basketball fans understand that to press in that situation serves no other reason than to embarrass another team. Real basketball fans understand that it's not a good idea for a coach to downright insult the fan base of a fellow ACC school as well. That's why real basketball fans were booing Duke's shining example of sportsmanship on full display yesterday. Thanks, but our "Turtle IQ" is more than ample to sniff out poor sportsmanship on behalf of your women's basketball team and Duke University. Our basketball IQ was more than ample two years in Boston too for that matter, but you probably don't know what I'm even talking about. You stay classy Liz.

Posted by: ihateliz | March 24, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, so, uh...that was a reasonable reaction, ihateliz.

Posted by: A Fly Moses | March 24, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Kim | March 24, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Well, I don't recall saying anything about Maryland student's IQs, but ok. You've got me rethinking my stance on this whole thing!

Posted by: liz | March 24, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey Liz, we already did 2 years ago.

Don't you you worry none about our IQ Miss McCallie. We'll bring some extra special cheers for you all tomorrow. We had fun last night. The Racers certainly enjoyed our enthusiasm.

Somehow I doubt they will ever schedule Duke to play a post-season game here ever again.

Posted by: EricS | March 24, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

has Gail had blinders on her eyes for the past decade? Why is she so surprised that MD hates duke?

also, Liz, hate to tell ya but after the 06 final students did riot in college park...thats how we roll.

anyway, I'll be at both games tomorrow and most definitely will be booing the dookies the whole game

Posted by: wtfdook | March 24, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Coach McCallie doesn't have a lot of room to diss anyone's IQ - her nutbag husband bite a police officer at Miami's airport last year - I guess she's projecting.

Posted by: Julie | March 24, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL at Duke having bigger things to take care of. MD's the one with the National Championship and Duke is the choking dog.

Posted by: AbbyWhiner | March 24, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Keep on drinking that koolaid, Kim, and wearing those blue-tinted glasses.

Wasn't cool at all of Liz to run up the score but then, she's a Dukie. And not the sharpest tack either. Way to add fuel to the entitlement fire.

Of course, they'll never play here again. Gotta keep those butts powdered somehow!

Posted by: MdGoldy | March 24, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Duke womens team = the only chicks at Duke uglier than the cheerlesders.
Too bad the Duke lacrosse team isn't here in jail with me.

Posted by: ParrotheadDNC | March 24, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"I always love the perceptions in one sided rivalries. Because really, only UMd sees this as rivalry, since generally, Duke has bigger things to take care of."

Like what? Where to buy enough blue body paint, and if your angel wings and chef's hats will show up well on camera? Or are you referring to the overcrowding at the meetings of duke's "I wasn't invited to the prom" club? Perhaps we should settle this with a pillow fight.

Posted by: Kim Zabich | March 24, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Why don't they just make the fans stop booing? That's what I'd do.

Posted by: Hogie | March 24, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Can't the entire ACC just band together and realize they are falling further and further behind the Big East everyday?

Posted by: StetSports.com | March 24, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I just want to apologize. I'm just a really bitter person because I don't have any friends, but when I paint myself blue and jump up and down and scream OOOOOOOOOOOOOHH, I feel like a part of something. Suddenly, I'm no longer the homeliest girl in the room. I'm special, and a part of a wonderful sea of obese losers. When I can dress like a smurf with Down's syndrome and refer to another fanbase as "twerps", it makes me more excited than when I got my eigth cat. For just an instant, I forget how sad and lonely I truly am.

Posted by: liz | March 24, 2008 2:22 PM | Report abuse

When my great, great, granddaughter said that she applied to duke, I disowned her and removed her from my will.

Posted by: Homer Greenway | March 24, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bascombe | March 24, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Ignore the guy who posts as Kim. He / She is an idiot and has proven it again and again. Has no sports knowledge and yet is continually on here with the most asinine comments.

Posted by: Ignore Kim | March 24, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Of course Duke was booed at Comcast. What did she expect?

Of course a team that runs a full-court press with a 24-point lead and 40 seconds left is going to get booed. Anywhere. What did she expect?

Of course she will get REALLY booed next time the dookies show up at Comcast. What else could she expect?

"Turtle IQ" indeed. Even ultra-competitive Gary Williams calls off the dogs when the game is out of reach.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | March 24, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Thanks guys. You act like you haven't seen 20+ point leads evaporate in the Comcast Center. But pressing when the game is out of reach is lousy sportsmanship.

Sorry, I dislike Duke just as much as the next guy, but the UMd anti-Duke feelings are just funny to observe.

It's just a sad fact that UMd doesn't have a 'built in' rival.

Posted by: Kim | March 24, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

"(assuming both Duke and Maryland make it to the finals)"

ROFLMAO, now thats funny. Thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I hate people associated with Maryland and want them to fail in every possible way.

Posted by: T.Light | March 24, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

What? Opposition fans booing Duke in their own venue?!? Say it isn't so. Tell your coach to grow some and not worry about what us Turtles think.

"I think the real question will be (assuming both Duke and Maryland make it to the finals) can the Terp faithful gather up enough energy & excitement to riot after a women's game against Duke, like they do after men's games?"

Tell you what Liz, how bout you organize the keg party and hire some strippers for us instead. Seems like your school is good at that.

Posted by: MoCoTerp | March 24, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"It's just a sad fact that UMd doesn't have a 'built in' rival."

One would think that UVA would be, but they tend to be all over the map in quality from year to year. Whenever both school have consistantly good programs that should heat up.

Duke, however, will always be Duke, and they will almost always be #1 from now on.

Posted by: EricS | March 24, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

We were only booing the 9 coloured girls on the Duke roster

Posted by: NFLVIP | March 24, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

You are not funny, nflvip. I am locking this and you are getting a vacation. bye bye.

Posted by: TortaGrand | March 24, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

NOT OUR RIVAL!!!

Posted by: twerphater | March 24, 2008 3:20 PM | Report abuse

LOL at white people using this race card because of one case in OJ when whites had blacks in slavery for years. Yes that was " made up" And all racist thoughts are gone. Its all in blacks heads.

I am not trying to be racist. But Duke can get any player they want. And they have too many white (americans ) on the team.

It does not take a brain scientist to figure out that white americans for the most part are the worst in basketball. Its okay to have 1 our 2 that contribute. But his teams are full of suburbanites.

Beasley will be garbage. Scoring a lot in college does not translate to being a great NBA player.

Adam Morrison for example.He is too short.

Posted by: RTL | March 24, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Wow, how the heck did we end up with people yelling at each other about racism in a thread about how Duke's coach decided to show just how classy she is?

Posted by: EricS | March 24, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

So it just isnt the Duke basketball team or cheer leaders that are drop dead gorgeous. Check out the head coach in question. The real question is who has the time to find and shave all these horses...

Posted by: Duke Girls... EWWWWWWWW | March 24, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

That picture is not flattering to say the least.

Posted by: JDP | March 24, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Those Duke girls are yummy.

Posted by: Sheldon W. | March 24, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Insulting my girls? I'd better motorcycle over to Comcast for the second round.

Posted by: Jay W. | March 24, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

This thread has proven, Coach McCallie is pretty much dead on!

Posted by: caphcky | March 24, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Hey, lay off the fat jokes.

Posted by: Myra Piggie | March 24, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

It wasn't really as loud as she makes it out to be. The acoustics at Comcast just make it sound worse as the sound bounces off our NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP BANNER.

Posted by: Mike | March 24, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Coach Gary Williams and his team should take in a few women's games to understand the kind of TEAMWORK needed to advance to the NCAA tournament. My successful daughter recently took a break from creating a rice hybrid for famine ravaged countries in the developing world and attended the LADY TERPS game against Coppin State. She believes the LADY TERPS have what it takes to cut down the nets! Meanwhile, Internet airheads live for chat and message board insults. What is this world coming to?

Posted by: FredTerp44 | March 24, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

I was a cheerleader in college to ya know. But I never hefted any hefers like that. I consider them duke cheerleaders weapons of gastric disruption.

Posted by: George W. Bush | March 24, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I thought they were booing my sweater.

Posted by: Asst. Coach Al Brown | March 24, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Guys, please stop making fun of the cheerleaders. I'm a morbidly obese woman (I prefer "pleasantly plump"), and I feel like when you insult them, you are insulting me. They are all beautiful women no matter what their faces and bodies look like.

Posted by: Kim | March 24, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I absolutely looooove that Duke "woman" on the left. NAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Posted by: Mr. ED | March 24, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse

mmm.... brains... mmm...

Posted by: gmaniac | March 24, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

As a Maryland fan, I officially dissociate myself from this entire thread.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 24, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I should explain: Duke is ugly *on the inside.* Maryland fans need not resort to critiquing people's attractiveness; they can instead critique the soul-rot festering at the very core of all Dookies.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 24, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

In a disturbing event, MSU Associate Professor John D. McCallie, husband of MSU women's basketball coach Joanne P. McCallie, was arrested on charges of battery on a police officer and violently resisting arrest in Sarasota, Fla. last Wednesday.

Evidently, after discovering that one of his bags was lost and that he needed his luggage stub, McCallie emptied out the trash can where he threw it away. When a police officer approached him to ask what was going on, McCallie swung the garbage can at the officer. A struggle ensued and McCallie ended up biting the officer's finger and had to be subdued.

Posted by: Married to a Nut Case, but look at her, what else is she going to get | March 24, 2008 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Classy.

To those who commented, did you remember or know what this post was about before commenting?

Posted by: sitruc | March 24, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

I'm one of those Maryland fans that this article is talking about. Rip on us all you want. Call us classless. Call us stupid. Call us what you will. But you will never hear us shout profanities at a player, coach, ref or opposing fan like you will at other schools. We will make fun of you. We will get under your skin. We will boo you. We will laugh at you when you make a mistake. And be sure we are watching to see your reactions. We feed on it. Complain to your news papers. Rag on us to the media. You wont hurt our feelings.
We'll be at every Maryland game. And when we get the chance we'll go to a Duke game just to heckle Dookies. Chant "Not Our Rivals" all you want. You're not ours. You're just another team in our way. We'll see you all Tuesday night. It's great when Duke comes to town. It's only so often we get to make fun of them.

Posted by: Bismarck | March 24, 2008 7:05 PM | Report abuse

I hear that my Blue Devils lost yesterday. It's fine. Coach Kay will have us back next year. Kyle Slinger is a beast. And for all you Twerp fans, you're just jellus loosers. You don't now how to win with classes. Duke is the bestest school in all the land with great coachez. Who cares if the womens coachs husband bited a police officer? She's still better than that fat cow Brenda Freeze. Wow, did she gain wait this year or what? Shut up Twerps fans. Loosers.

Mattw75 4 president.

Alison Bales is hot.

Posted by: Bandwagon Boy | March 24, 2008 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Bismarck! Welcome buddy! This is the same Eric from the Brenda's Bullies group. Thanks for the extra words of support.

Go ASU! Hey, I can say that, I have a cousin who goes there.

Posted by: EricS | March 24, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

ay yo, i'm tired of this racialist replies on here. you bammas have some college smarts but no real world smarts. my parents have way much more money than aneyone here. they are righting this reply off on their tax returns lol

ipod touch out.

Posted by: TerrpapinSwoosh | March 24, 2008 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Bismark, JJ Redick and his heckling come to mind? No profanity my butt...

Posted by: ML | March 25, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Bismark, JJ Redick and his heckling come to mind? No profanity my butt...

Posted by: ML | March 25, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Bismark, JJ Redick and his heckling come to mind? No profanity my butt...

Posted by: ML | March 25, 2008 12:04 AM | Report abuse

ML, that's one the men's team side. Unfortunately, things aint so clean on that side, but we're faaaaaaar from the only ones who have gotten nasty towards other teams and players. We have been singled out for it though while a lot of other schools have gotten a pass, relatively speaking. I'm not defending that kind of conduct as there is no defenser for it, but if you're going to call it call it on everyone.

I cna very clearly remember hearing some very bad language at some of the games televised from Cameron. And no, it wasn't from the visiting bench.

Posted by: EricS | March 25, 2008 12:20 AM | Report abuse

i just hate duke. if their girls transfer to coppin i'd give them a break. if some kid was shooting marbles wearing a duke shirt that his granny bought thinking it was in memory to John Wayne, i'd boo him too. tell the dukie girls to stay out of those lacrosse parties w/ underage drinking, hiring classy strippers and all. might ruin that preppy image.

Posted by: devans | March 25, 2008 1:23 AM | Report abuse

I hear the Duke men's team has some free time to come cheer on the women's team if they need fans...

Posted by: Mike | March 25, 2008 5:19 AM | Report abuse

Man the Maryland posters in this thread need to get a life. Why all the bitterness towards a friggin basketball team? And calling the cheerleaders fat? Very classy.

P.S. To Mike. Another reason MD is not our rival: We had a "down" year and finished 28-6 and made the NCAA tournament as opposed to going to the NIT for the second year in a row.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"The hopes and dreams of area fans..." are also with the George Washington womens team - the Colonials are in the Sweet Sixteen after beating California. But no mention here and scant coverage of the Colonials in the , ahem, Maryland Post!

Posted by: GWfan | March 25, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

They made the paper GWfan.

BTW Anon, the men's team did make the NCAA last year. It's been NIT 3 of the last 4, but we wer in the big one last year.

Posted by: EricS | March 25, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

i love that you want to call duke players/cheerleaders fat...have you seen brenda frese lately? i know she just birthed out some demon twins, but seriously she looks like she should be laying on her side in a barn letting her piglet brood suckle away. instead she's draggin her fat ass up and down the sidelines whining at every single call even though her team is up by 20. now that's classy!

Posted by: your mom | March 25, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse