Five Guys Confirmed at New Park

(By Dayna Smith/TWP).

As a heathen lowlife vegetarian, I've been more concerned with making sure that the new ballpark would have veggie dogs and veggie burgers (yes and yes), but since the Nats first announced the local vendors, I've heard from people who wanted to know where things stand with Five Guys. Well, here's where things stand:

"It's totally a go," franchise owner Charley Beresford just told me. "We're there every day and looking to get open on Saturday."

"We were the first people cooking food in there," said operations manager Ryan Gaines. "We were cooking food yesterday for the construction workers. We're in there, I've got a staff, we're ready to open Opening Day."

I should caution that there's still a slight slight chance the Five Guys stadium outpost--which will be located in the food court area beyond the center field fence called the "Miller Lite Scoreboard Walk"--might be not be open on Opening Day, as the corporate office negotiates certain operational questions. But regardless, at some point in the very near future you'll be able to buy Five Guys burgers, dogs, fries (and beer), which you can dress with every traditional Five Guys topping, including mayo, ketchup, mustard, onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried onions, green peppers, jalapeno peppers, A1 sauce, BBQ sauce, hot sauce and relish.

"That was a debate," Beresford said of the decision to import all those toppings to a ballpark setting. "We decided, of course, it wouldn't be a Five Guys burger if we didn't."

(Beresford and Gaines already run three Five Guys stores, with the Chinatown location their flagship.)

Subject to change, hamburgers will be $7, cheeseburgers and bacon burgers $8, and bacon cheeseburger $9, including sales tax. Regular dogs will $5.50, cheese dogs and bacon dogs will be $6.50, and bacon cheese dogs $7. No "little" burgers at the Park, though.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 27, 2008; 10:03 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Xavier Grows Beards, W. Va. Dances
Next: Odalis Perez and Lo Duca Have a Past

Comments

Five Guys and Ben's Chili Bowl at the park?? These are great decisions and I can finally say I'm proud of a DC stadium/arena compared to what's offered nationally.

Posted by: proud | March 27, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Five Guys and beer? And baseball? If there's boobs too then this just might be heaven.

Though how are they going to handle the traditional wait for your burger? I'm not a fan of waiting 5-10 minutes for food at a game. I'll sacrifice a little freshness for more speed.

Posted by: twoeightnine | March 27, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

contrary to twoeightnine, if I'm gonna be paying $10 for a Five Guys burger at the ballpark, it BETTER taste just as good as any other Five Guys burger that you buy elsewhere.

Build more flat screens around the waiting areas so people can keep an eye on the game.

Posted by: burgerfan | March 27, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dan, the fries are vegitarian. Well, as vegitarian as you can get in a place where the beef grease will hang thick. Prices are certainly on the high side. I think I may stick to the New Jersey Ave location if I want a fix before the game. I wonder how long it will be before the California Tortilla people get in on the act to.

Posted by: EricS | March 27, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I heard Wizards equipment manager Rob Suller just purchased Nationals season tickets when he heard this news. "Five guys confirmed at the New Park and I am confirmed at Five Guys at the New Park," said Suller.

Posted by: You Know Him Well | March 27, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Good thing that they did that toilet test earlier this year. With the food lineup they've got going at Nats Park, those restrooms are going to be getting plenty of love from the fans.

Posted by: bubbrubb | March 27, 2008 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but where will the veggie burgers be?

(I'm not kidding. I'm excited that there may actually be enough vegetarian options here that I won't be sick of them all by the 4th of July.)

Posted by: Right field | March 27, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Center field?

/immediately regrets seat location.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | March 27, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

All that, and I'm stuck here in Orioles land.

Posted by: StetSports.com | March 27, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

They own the Chinatown location? Ugh. Hopefully the food/service at the stadium will be better. (The Chinatown one has got to be the WORST Five Guys in the entire chain.)

Posted by: TG | March 27, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Nothing better on a steamy August night than the Nats, a few beers, and Five Guys' beef inside you!!!

Posted by: nedsyoungerbrother.blogspot.com | March 27, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

FINALLY!!!

LOCAL GRUB at a LOCAL STADIUM!!
Between the food and the future plans for ferries from Alexandria and National Harbor.. I think the Lerners are creating an environment that is going to make Nationals baseball the iconic sports establishment for the DC Metro area. The Lerners are doing this the right way!

I honestly believe, if the NATS become successful on the field, they will surpass the REDSKINS in popularity. And when that happens, we'll have our first REDSKINS blackout in forever!!

Posted by: Woo hoo!!!! | March 27, 2008 1:53 PM | Report abuse

What do the Nationals have to do with the Redskins? Did someone switch sports when I wasn't looking?

Posted by: M Street | March 27, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

How much will the Five Guys veggie (read: topping) sandwich be?

Posted by: danj | March 27, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

I love that someone wants to know when we're going to get in on the act. Is it because we have so many darn tasty vegetarian options, spunky cashiers and a newsletter read by tens of people nationwide? I don't know but I like that people are talking about us!

Posted by: Queen of Burritos | March 27, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Also, Dan, why can't I click on your smiling face anymore to get from a bog post back to the main bog page? Is it the new basketball's fault?

Posted by: danj | March 27, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Best. News. Ever.

Posted by: smurphette | March 27, 2008 4:46 PM | Report abuse

King Street Five Guys and Court House Five Guys rule. (Here's a shout-out to the old original Arlington location near Columbia Pike and Glebe Road.)
Queen of Burritos: Please do what you can to get Cal-Tort in there! On a side note, the Arlington Court House location's rice seems to be overcooked too often (it's crunchy) and as such that location's nowhere NEAR as good as the Bethesda location, which is consistently awesome. Can we remedy this, please, as I live in Arlington and would love for similar food results there at that location? Many, many thanks--WOOHOO to you, too!

Posted by: Arlington Pimp | March 27, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Truly now, a field of dreams.

Posted by: Jason | March 29, 2008 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Test

Posted by: JustMe | March 30, 2008 6:21 AM | Report abuse

Why bother with the long longs and higher prices at the stadium, when there's a Five Guys a block and a half away for cheaper on New Jersey Ave, right behind the CVS...AND YOU CAN BRING FOOD INTO THE STADIUM! Read the rules of what you can bring into the stadium on the back of your ticket....you'd be crazy to stand in those long lines for more expensive food.

Posted by: IndoGrrl! | March 30, 2008 10:15 AM | Report abuse

the Nats suckkk anyways so all the burgers will be wasted. im sorry but felipe lopez, nick johnson and matt chico dont bring the excitement out in me. go phils!!!!

Posted by: Bill | March 31, 2008 1:08 AM | Report abuse