Hoyas Lose: Observations

Couldn't find evidence of ref bias, but did find evidence that the Davidson coach picks his nose. God this is juvenile.

1) I did an interview the other day where I said George Mason would never happen again because the committee would be smart enough not to give a promising mid-major two virtual home games in the second weekend. Well, right, they'll just do it in the first weekend instead. How is it that with all those hours of calculations and all those fancy computer simulators, what we wind up with is a promising mid-major playing two virtual home games in the first weekend?

Why even bother putting together a great regular season and earning a two seed if that's your reward? And if that's ok, why wouldn't it be ok for Georgetown to play games at the Verizon Center? It's ok for 10 seeds to get home-court advantage, but not for two seeds? Wouldn't you rather be a three seed facing Oklahoma on a neutral floor than a two seed facing Davidson in North Carolina?

Ugh. I'd stop selling these, I think.

2) While I completely credit that line of complaint as legitimate, I'm not as on-board with the "the refs destroyed the Hoyas" line of criticism. I watched most of the game back on TiVo, and while some of those offensive foul calls were ticky-tack, there was actual contact involved on virtually all of 'em. I saw one (on Patrick Ewing Jr. late in the second half) that appeared to be completely bogus, and I think the second one on Hibbert also seemed spotty, but two missed calls probably didn't cost Georgetown the game.

Also, Chris Wright clearly caught a pass without reestablishing position in-bounds late in the second half, which sort of balanced out the Ewing call. Had that been Greg Paulus, the Internet would have shut down. (See the Paulus thing here.)

3) Of course, I missed one Roy Hibbert offensive foul completely, because, in a bid to make sure we saw every ending, CBS completely botched the feed and made the Georgetown game unwatchable for several minutes. I never, ever, ever thought I'd be criticizing CBS for changing games too often--in virtually every case, I'd be happy to see a toggling screen switching between all four games every five seconds--but if you're actually in the local market and you actually care about the local team that's playing, couldn't CBS just show you what happened elsewhere after the fact, if it was worth it? I didn't need to see Butler fail to get off a shot at the end of regulation, or Miami's obviously futile comeback bid. I actually wanted to watch the Hoyas.

4) Never got a close up, but the gray kicks looked pretty good with the gray jerseys, I thought. Of course, now we'll never see 'em again.

5) They're still gonna show that "There are no Cinderellas" ad featuring JTIII about a gazillion times this month. In retrospect, starring in an ad titled "There are no Cinderellas" was probably tempting fate a little too brazenly. I don't think I understand the point of that ad, anyhow. Does it mean "through hard work, even the smallest underdog can become a superstar, making them no longer a Cinderella?" If so, why is Georgetown even included? And how long before Davidson fans start buying these t-shirts en masse?

6) Congratulations to anyone who had "Virginia Tech, Virginia and Old Dominion" in the "which three local schools will be the last three left standing this postseason" pool. And congratulations to the Atlantic 11 schools, which are now 6-10 in the postseason tourneys, including 2-6 in games not involving other Atlantic 11 opponents. The state of North Carolina already has more than double the NCAA tournament win total of D.C., Maryland and Virginia combined.

7) Yeah, the Hoyas screwed up all my brackets very, very badly. And yeah, I was wrong when I said all year that pulling out those crazy close games would come in handy in March. And yeah, Roy Hibbert didn't have the greatest game of his life. But those seniors still gave the Hoyas a pretty good four-year ride, plus Hibbert is among the nicer big time-athletes I've ever met, so I'm not gonna get into the "choke! soft! lame!" stuff.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 24, 2008; 10:58 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 'Eers Win, Eat Manny & Olga's
Next: The Many Jackets of Gilbert

Comments

Good thing Hibbert did the smart thing and went pro last year. Too bad Georgetown isn't a big enough program to beat dancing giants like Davidson. The Hoyas were out-coached and outplayed. If you want some non-Georgetown related hilarity from the Davidson game, I'd visit TSL for the Curry meltdown.

You should bog VT versus VCU...

Posted by: sitruc | March 24, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Georgetown was a lucky team all season and their luck just ran out. In my opinion, they underachieved and were not well coached. That may sound ridiculous regarding a team that lost six games, but they were not a dominant team and they had the talent to be. Hibbert was not used properly.

Posted by: Jim | March 24, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a team that goes 15-3 in the all powerful Big East (8 bids to NCAAs) is supposed to beat ANY team from the Southern conference ANY where, right? Even if that team is only 170 miles from its tiny home court. How about giving credit where credit is due. Davidson played a better second half and won. Stop the crying already.

Posted by: BigEastBeast | March 24, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Davidson played well, there's no question. But look at the stats. Georgetown shot the lights out: 63% from the field and 56% from three. Davidson only managed 39% and 21%. Curry is good, but he didn't have his best game. To say the Hoyas were outcoached and outplayed is absurd. Congrats to Davidson, but don't trash the Hoyas game on Sunday.

Posted by: Johnny | March 24, 2008 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Seventh-seeded Butler didn't have any problems knocking off 10th-seeded South Alabama in Birmingham, Alabama, on Friday. Georgetown fans should blame Gonzaga.

Posted by: Stormy | March 24, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

for shame, steinz.

I would think you better than the "wah, davidson is almost playing at home" argument.

does "the home court" explain coming back from a double-digit deficit?

I guess we know what goes great with all your cheese -- w(h)ine. :>

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | March 24, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Did the location cause Georgetown to lose? No. Should the Big East regular season champ be able to hold onto a 17-point lead against any team from the Southern Conference in any location, from Antarctica to the SoCo team's practice gym? Sure. Do I think it makes sense that a second seed can't play at home, but a 10 seed is allowed to have a fairly significant crowd advantage? Nah, not really.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | March 24, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I guess it's back to Ivan's blog for me. At least there only the posters do the whining.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The home court advantage point is not whining; it's a salient point.

Posted by: ahelms | March 24, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Considering that UCLA (and to a lesser extent Stanford) played their first weekend games in Anaheim, UNC plays their 2nd weekend in Charlotte, and Texas plays their 2nd weekend in Houston...

I'd say that the commitee has no problem putting high-ranking teams on "virtual home courts." GU just didn't get it this year. I'd wager, however that they would balk at putting a high-seed on their *Actual* home court as would be the case for GU playing at the VzCenter.

Posted by: Duffman | March 24, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Weak, Steinz, really weak.

Davidson is 170 miles from Raleigh, Georgetown is 2 miles from Verizon.

Posted by: Blah | March 24, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Does this mean we don't have to read about crappy college basketball anymore? The Wiz are much more interesting.

Posted by: Keurig | March 24, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

And it's against the rules for (men's) teams to play tourney games on their home courts. I get that. Look, it's not the biggest deal in the world. It just doesn't make all that much sense to me. I would say the same thing about West Virginia here at Verizon, and the same thing about Mason here in 2006.

Like I said, not the biggest deal in the world, and I understand that it's 170 miles, but give every player and coach on Davidson the choice between playing in Raleigh or playing in Omaha, and give every player and coach on Georgetown the choice between playing a team from N.C. in N.C. or a team from the Midwest, and tell me how that vote turns out. So the simple question is, why should any 10 seed (and this includes South Alabama) get their preference?

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | March 24, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand, the RBC does sell some of the best North Carolina BBQ sandwiches you've ever had.

Even in the face of Georgetown's worst loss since "The Perfect Game," that's got to count for something.

Posted by: StetSports.com | March 24, 2008 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Unless the game was played at Verizon the fans would be rooting against Georgetown - this is the very simple nature of crowds at NCAA Tournament games. Always root for the underdog.

Maybe making back to back Final Fours is harder then it seems...

Posted by: Broken Clipboard | March 24, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Johnny, I thought you were trying to say Georgetown wasn't outcoached, but the statistics you posted would lead me to believe that they were. Where was the Georgetown inside-out game?
Regarding the home-court, that place was all UNC fans. UNC fans have numbers, but they can sit on their hands with the best. No doubt, they could have been an extra boost, but that would have happened just about anywhere since they were the underdog.

Posted by: sitruc | March 24, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

It's what many fans of the Big East have been saying all season--Georgetown was overrated, Hibbert was non-factor many games, and they got incredibly, incredibly lucky on their way to winning the BE regular season championship. They were 1 terrible foul call, 1 in-and-out of the basket 3-pointer, 1 miracle 3 by a big man, and 1 missed foul call, from being 11-7 in the regular season. Luck ran out on the Hoyas and Curry & Davidson took advantage. Georgetown played like they were asleep in the second half. Quite disappointing.

Posted by: teddy | March 24, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

teddy -
It's obvious that you barely watched any Georgetown games in their entirety and that you are relying on the one-liners of worthless talking heads like ESPN's Gottleib.

I don't see how the Hoyas were "lucky" to win the Big East. Are you referring to J-Wall getting pushed out of bounds during the Nova game? Sure, it was a terrible call. I think any fan would admit to that. But look at the REST of the game. There were not stop little touch fouls called throughout. And It should say something, to all basketball fans, when fifty fouls are called in a game.

It's also fairly ignorant to say that Roy's 3 was "lucky." It's a known fact that Roy can make that shot regularly. That's been stated numerous times by players and JTIII.

Luck had nothing to do with this season. Georgetown demonstrated an ability to win the tight battles, plain and simple. It just turned out, that on the most important afternoon of the year, they had problems defending a 17 point lead. And that in itself is terrible. But get out of here with that "luck" stuff and formulate an original thought instead of regurgitating what you hear on ESPN.

Posted by: Scroot | March 24, 2008 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown overrated? Lucky? Poorly coached?

That's just plain stupid. You don't end up #1 in the nation in field goal defense (to name just one Hoya strength) if you're overrated, lucky or poorly coached. Go pick another sport to watch if you think otherwise.

I might criticize the officiating a little more than Dan did (or didn't), and Davidson did have a bit of an unfair home-court advantage, but in the end huge amounts of credit needs to go to Curry and the rest of the Davidson team. Curry hit some shots I wouldn't have believed possible. That team is simply better than a 10 seed and absolutely deserves its trip to the Sweet 16. Can't wait to see how they do against Wisconsin even though I'm saddened by the Hoyas loss.

And teddy, your point about how close the Hoyas were to a 11-7 record in the Big East is easily refuted and not at all worth the time.

most of the whining i see here is actually coming from the Hoyas haters.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

You know it's funny.....in the 2nd half when the Hoyas were up 17 points, I couldn't find a single GTown fan who was upset about where the game was being played.

Posted by: StunnedByLoss | March 24, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

What's funny is that you spent the second half of the game looking for fans instead of watching the rest of the game.

Posted by: Scroot | March 24, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The refs made some horrible calls. The virtual away game was unfair for a 2-seed.

But regardless of any of that, the fact remains that the Hoyas blew a 17-point lead against a team that they had figured out how to control. They lightened up their intensity just a tad, and that's all Curry and Davidson needed. Georgetown blew it, plain and simple. Kudos to Davidson for having the patience to wait for Georgetown to drop its guard, and then to move in for the win.

Our opponents have been making excuses all year regarding why they couldn't beat us in close games. I'm not making any for this team. We lost, and we should have won.

It pains me that our seniors will have to remember that as their last game. But they've done so much for Georgetown. They took a team that couldn't even get to the NIT, and turned it into a program for which anything short of a Sweet Sixteen is a disappointment. That's the legacy fans are going to remember. We'll miss them terribly. Hoya Saxa.

Posted by: Anna | March 24, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

LETS GO NOVA

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

StunnedbyLoss, then you weren't asking many Georgetown fans. Placing Davidson in that region was patently unfair to Gonzaga, and to Georgetown. There's just no argument about that point.

Ah well - I expect the Hoyas will get a "make up" call from the committee next season.

Posted by: StunnedbyLoss | March 24, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Putting Davidson in a location that close to home ALWAYS happens to some team. If you are a fan of one team and watch every single game I'm sure you won't be a big fan of 60-70% of their calls. As I pointed out my friends yesterday that Georgetown was physically bigger then their opponent at every position - the first true game this tourney that felt like a true big guy vs. little guy(Vandy, Drake, etc don't exactly have size over "mid-majors"). Don't blame the refs, the location, etc...no matter where it was played people would root for Davidson, they are the underdog.

Posted by: Broken Clipboard | March 24, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

BrokenClipboard, don't forget that 85% of the fans in the arena were Tar Heels. Fans in NC pull for NC schools - excepting ACC rivalries. And the UNC faithful aren't too fond of the Hoyas after last year's Elite 8 game. So while most impartial fans do indeed root for the underdog, the fans in this case were anything but impartial.

It was a clear disadvantage, but again, it's one the Hoyas should have been able to overcome.

Teddy: Roy is 3-3 in his career from behind the arc. If you want to call them miracle shots because he's over seven feet, go ahead. I call it practice.

Posted by: Anna | March 24, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Yes, Davidson would have had crowd support in most arenas as the underdog. Thats not the point.

The point is the committee place them in a home court advantage situation. This should not be done in any scenario, but certainly not for a 10 seed. NCAA set up the perfect scenario for a Cinderella to emerge, and got one.

Still, the Hoyas should have beat them. But that doesn't mean the Davidson seed and location were fair. They weren't.

Posted by: Yoyo | March 24, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

I think Wilbon hits the nail on the head in his chat today:

"Davidson is good. I told you guys last week that results will take place that people will call upsets, but aren't really. Other than North Carolina, I don't think any of these teams are great. And you know what...North Carolina is great only by today's standards of college basketball, where the talent is spread across the country to schools small and large...Georgetown is a damn good team...Davidson is nearly as good and they've been ranked all year."

I don't blame the Hoyas for losing that game. They played their guts out from beginning to end. I'm not sure they really "let up" on their defense in the second half, rather Davidson/Curry got just a little sharper. Maybe the Hoyas inevitably wore down a little as the game went on thus loosening up just a tad bit?

In any case, no need to knock the Hoyas. Davidson is a fine team who just played better. And that Curry is on fire!

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

I don't care where you play, but a large "supposed" powerhouse basketball school with unlimited resources for recruiting should not be complaining about refs and home court advantages for Davidson. These un-recruited players played with heart instead of excuses. Get over it and go recruit more overrated players that believe things should be given to them because they wear a hoyas jersey. I will be busy watching Davidson and Wisconsin next week.

Posted by: What a bunch of pus*** | March 24, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

The only mistake the NCAA Selection Committee made was seeding Davidson as a 10. They clearly should have been higher. As to the "UNC fans will cheer for any NC school", that's false. My girlfriend is a UNC alum and my boss is a Davidson alum, they both assure me that UNC fans will not and do not inherently root for other NC schools. I (a Terp) was not rooting for Mt. St. Mary's or UMBC just because they were from the same state. If "home-court advantage" were so important, the home team would win every game. I think the "David(son) vs. Goliath" factor was a much bigger reason for fans to cheer for Davidson. And that was a non-factor for the first 25 minutes of the game anyway. The "home" fans didn't even get into the game until Georgetown started to falter. They could've done what legitimate contenders did in the first 2 rounds, namely put away lesser teams by 20 plus points and never let them even dream that they have a chance of winning. Clearly, these two teams were more evenly matched than their seeds indicated, so please, Georgetown fans, don't use "home-court" as an excuse.

Just give credit to Davidson and their star player who looks like a 12-year old in a 18 year old's body. He was able to pull out a 25-pt second half, and Georgetown had no answer.

In this tournament, you need a "go-to-guy" to win. Period. Every tournament champion has one. Georgetown does not have one this year. They had Green last year. Wallace, Hibbert, Ewing, are all good players, but you can't honestly say you had complete faith in them to hit the big shots when they needed it, down the stretch.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 24, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

A saddening loss, but most of all for the four seniors that overcame all kinds of adversity, worked their tails off, made a Final Four, and turned a program and a university around. Hand it to Davidson, yesterday was their day. 24-30 from the line, 4 TOs to GU's 8-17 and 20, respectively. Both were weaknesses for the Hoyas all year, both determined the outcome in Round 2. Special congrats to Curry: he carried that team on his back and put them in the Sweet 16. Next season starts today.

WABOP, you have no idea what you're talking about. At about 6500 undergrads, Gtown is not large, and neither are its recruiting resources anything close to unlimited (you can check the endowment and hoops budget numbers if you like). As for "powerhouse", this team was 13-15 and failed to make the post-season only 4 years ago and was captained this year by a walk-on and a guy who couldn't even run his frosh year.

If you actually knew ANYTHING about the team that Georgetown put on the floor this season, you would know that the young men who wear the Blue & Gray are class acts who engage with fellow students, are humble about their success, work hard for what they have, and conduct themselves as gentlemen in all aspects of the collegiate careers. These Hoyas are model student athletes, one of whom will be attending Georgetown Law next fall.

GO HOYAS and THANK YOU SENIORS. Despite losing this one, you made us proud to be Georgetown again.

Posted by: coast2coast | March 24, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown was, in fact, highly overrated this season. They choked in the Big East tournament and they layed a huge egg in the dance.

Posted by: Pete | March 24, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

A powerhouse basketball school with unlimited resources for recruiting - ha! You can't be talking about Georgetown. Have you been to McDonough? Have you seen the facilities? How much does JT3 make? How much does Gary make? In fact, if there's a school around here that has unlimited resources, it's UMCB (couch burning).

Posted by: kchoya | March 24, 2008 5:53 PM | Report abuse

well put, kc.

Posted by: coast2coast | March 24, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Georgetown lucky this year? Are you kidding me?! Was the 19 point win against Villanova in the BE tourney lucky? Was the 17 point BE tourney win against WVU lucky? BTW - those are BOTH Sweet 16 teams. Louisville lost to Gtown two weeks ago for the regular season BE crown. They won by 30 yesterday... the fact is Georgetown is a good team. Their five previous losses were ALL on the "road" and Sunday's loss was a HUGE road game. UNC fans were going crazy for an upset.

The fact of the matter is that the offiating in the NCAA is terrible. It has been all year long. They've been atrocious in the tourney and they're entirely inconsistent. How about that no-call in the UCLA game? There is a picture on the internet that clearly shows TWO (2) Bruins fouling Texas A&M's player on the last play...

Davidson played the game they needed to for the win. They hung around in time for Curry to catch fire (he should have fouled out with 3:45 to go btw - the announcers even mentioned how he hit Wright on the wrist on a PT attempt). Davidson's only defense all day was flopping. Have you EVER seen a game where one team has 10 offensive fouls called on them? That's a joke! That's half of Georgetown's turnovers!! If a normal officiating crew called this game Georgetown would have had 5-6 more possessions (at least). Georgetown outplayed Davidson in EVERY category but FT shooting (and had 13 fewer attempts). How does a team with less talent, less athletic ability and is MUCH smaller get that many calls? I mean, a third of Davidson's points came from the line!

Calling 50 fouls in a basketball game is dispicable. These refs should be put under review.

Posted by: B1978 | March 24, 2008 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg becomes more and more unreadable by the day. To chalk this loss up by any means to playing in Carolina is ridiculous. Gtown being a number 2 seed in the tournament was questionable on selection sunday (by questionable, I mean was no guarantee). If you want to see unfair, check Tenn having to play Carolina in Carolina if they meet even though Tenn clearly should have been the top #2 seed in the tourney from their seasons perfromace. The only teams who earn playing in a somewhat "home" atmosphere is the #1s and this is not even always the case.

Davidson and everyother seed of 10 and below had the crowd behind them in every game. Gtown choked just like Maryland choked a bunch of times all year. Wash Post should not support this guys blog, put him out on his own and let him do his own blog, a newspaper is a NEWSpaper, not some loser's BS dribble.

Posted by: Realist | March 25, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realist | March 25, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Yes, and there's no way that Belmont should have had such an amazing home court advantage over Duke since it's so much closer.

Wait, you say that Durham's closer to DC than Nashville? Then how is it possible that the Phone Booth was going crazy for Belmont? Do its fans travel that well? Does it have so many alumni that it doesn't really matter where mighty Belmont plays?

Or could it just be that the NCAA tournament is the chance that these little schools have to stand toe to toe with the big boys in a neutral setting, and people just get caught up in rooting for these perpetual underdogs?

Heck, American drew cheers at least as loud as Tennessee's as the game drew into the late stages, and they were in Alabama (which, in case you were wondering, is not close to DC).

I went back and read Tom Boswell's column following George Mason's big win over UConn in 2006. Funny, there was no mention whatsoever about how "fair" it was for them to be playing 16 miles from their 30,000-strong student body.

Davidson is TINY. Raleigh is not Davidson's home market -- in the Triangle's basketball solar system, Davidson is Neptune, surpassed by such basketball powers as UNC Wilmington, Elon and Campbell. This was no more a Davidson home game than it would be a home game for Georgetown had they played in Richmond.

Then again, maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps it felt like a home game for Davidson since the big schools like Georgetown wouldn't be caught dead actually coming to play on its home court. Maybe they just didn't know any better.

Posted by: ChairmanMao | March 25, 2008 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Realist | March 25, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

First: Davidson outplayed Georgetown. I'm not denying that. I just want to address a few of the incorrect assertions in this thread.

I grew up in Raleigh. Everyone in that state loves basketball in every way, shape or form. A UNC fan won't pull for Duke or NC State in the tournament, but they will absolutely pull for a Davidson or an Elon in a postseason appearance against a school they have reason to hate anyway. It might be different with transplants, but if you grew up there it's in your blood. Same way a lot of DC folks got into George Mason's run a couple years ago.

In addition, ask a random resident and they can probably name a friend or family member who attended any given school in NC. Davidson graduates don't stay in Davidson, NC. Many move to Charlotte or Raleigh, so there is certainly a fanbase in the city, even if it's small.

I agree that Davidson was way underseeded. A top 25 team all year, even with a weak RPI, should have been several rows higher.

ChairmanMao: Georgetown did play at Davidson in 2004. It was JTIII's first road win at GU. Look at the Hoyas' nonconference schedule before you make grandiose statements about who they deign to play.

Georgetown's program is successful in spite of its monetary resources, not because of them. Y'all need to do your homework before reflexively slamming a program just because it's been good the last three years.

Posted by: Anna | March 25, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Anna-

Let me give Georgetown some credit for having played a game several years ago at Davidson. But that wasn't the point. You cannot possibly claim that the big schools have a balanced schedule with smaller ones. This past year Georgetown played at Fairfield, but had home games against Towson, Old Dominion, James Madison, Hartford, Navy, Winston-Salem State, Oral Roberts and Ball State. Most of these will not be home and homes.

That's reality. Wonderful of Georgetown to have played at Fairfield and at Davidson several years ago, but one need not "do one's homework" (as if it even matters to deeply study the exact teams any one school has played) to know instantly that the situation is not equitable between the Davidsons of the world and the Georgetowns of the world.

I grew up in Raleigh too and am a Carolina graduate. I think your own sweeping assertions about who a Carolina fan would root for is both wildly generalizing and largely irrelevant. (Many Carolina fans have an historic affinity for Georgetown because of the fantastic relationship between JT, Jr. and Dean Smith when Dean invited this relatively unknown coach to be his assistant for the 1976 Olympic team).

You could collect ALL of the Davidson alumni everywhere in the world and they couldn't fill the RBC Center. Davidson would have had the similar crowd dynamics anywhere it played outside of DC. They are the underdog from a small conference. They could have played in Boise and still been the "home" team. Ask the folks from Hampton how they were treated when they played out there.

I recognize that you concede the point that Davidson played better in the game. It is not "hating" on Georgetown, though, to call shenanigans on those, like Steinberg, and like Tom Boswell, who whinged about the "home court advantage" Davidson had. Particularly so given the complete lack of the same introspection by the same authors during George Mason's magical run.

Posted by: ChairmanMao | March 25, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse