Navy's Loss: The Video
(Video via FanHouse)
Maryland's home loss to Clemson was bad. Arguably the most intestine-spilling loss by a local team this year.
But Navy's loss to Bucknell last night was worse. A lot worse. If there were active Navy message boards, several participants would have committed Internets hara-kiri. This photo pretty much sums things up, but let's count the ways in which this loss was terrible.
* A week ago, Navy had a six-game win streak and the inside track to the Patriot League's top seed. The Mids hadn't been to the Patriot semis in seven years.
* Now, they had a home game against a Bucknell team they had recently beaten on the same court.
* And they received a career performance from their star, Greg Sprink, who went for 37.
* Within the first 10 minutes, Navy was up 12. Five minutes into the second half, Navy was up 17. At home. In the postseason. With their star player having a career day.
* Ok, fine, it's the tournament, leads will dwindle, but with 2:10 left, Navy was still up six.
* More dwindling. With two seconds left in regulation, Bucknell hit a layup to force overtime.
* With 2:19 left in overtime, Navy led by three, but didn't score again. Double overtime. Then triple, for the first time in Patriot League tourney history.
* With 58 seconds left in triple overtime, Navy led by three. Bucknell hit a three-pointer. Navy got a put-back to go up two with two seconds left. The celebration began. Pundits began prognosticating about Friday's Navy-American final. And then, dagger. No. Not possible.
And so Navy finishes 16-14. The Mids become the fourth Atlantic-11 eligible team to be eliminated from national championship contention. They went through the entire season without cracking the Atlantic 11 rankings, and they became the highest seeded team in the country to lose during the first two days of conference tournaments. And so, goodbye, Navy. You will be missed.
Posted by: ScottVanPeltStyle.com | March 6, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: John Jr | March 6, 2008 1:23 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: David Larimer | March 6, 2008 1:45 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: WaPoLiveFan | March 6, 2008 2:09 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: matt b | March 6, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Hoops Malone | March 6, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 6, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Colin | March 6, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: JDP | March 7, 2008 9:25 AM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.