The Best Sports Weekend in D.C. History*

This photo sums up the past weekend perfectly. (Courtsey of Under the Shell).

Due to daddy day care demands, I did not post a word between Thursday late afternoon and Monday late morning. The three days I skipped just happened to form one of the most amazing three-day periods in D.C. history, which is here defined as "the 18 months since this blog launched." You probably know everything that happened since then, but to help your confused mind I'm going to rank the top 11 things, in descending order of life-changing importance.

11. The GW women lose in a valiant Sweet 16 matchup with Rutgers. Ok, maybe that's not a highlight, but A-10 player of the year Kim Beck playing the last eight minutes of her brilliant career with a massive bandage on her chin after slamming her face into the ground sure was. If she had been named "Tyler Hansborough," at least several middle aged pale-faced TV announcers would have taken one look at that bandage and fainted out of ecstasy.

Caps like to hug lately.

10. Blogs blogs blogs! More D.C. Sports Blogs! More on this later, but D.C. United (Behind the Badge!) and a prominent local atlhlete have both launched blogs in recent days. (This new athlete blog is a few weeks old, but I did in fact learn about it over the weekend, and it has massive, massive potential. More on Tuesday.)

9. After scads of blogs mention the fact that the president's first pitch at Nats Park would be caught by a drug distributor, the Nats cave and put their manager behind the plate. And yeah, this was just an excuse to mention the fact that D.C. did us all proud with that reaction to the Prez. Kornheiser said on his radio show this morning that the boo-cheer ratio sounded like 50-50 to him, so maybe the TV feed was somehow biased in favor of the booers, but on my set that didn't sound like no 50-50 ratio. I hear the White House claimed the fans were really shouting "Buuuuuuuuush."

8. Let's wait until the tournament is over before we judge my pre-tournament bracket advice, but suffice it to say that the number one, most important, overarching piece of advice was do not NOT NOT NOT NOT pick all the top seeds to go to the Final Four. My only hope was that my advice would not make me look like a complete fool. Yeah. Well.

7. Before there was Sunday's ballgame, there was Saturday's exhibition game, and Friday's workout, and most importantly, Thursday's "Welcome to the Park" event, at which Dmitri Young emerged from the bus, hair flying, with the greatest suitcase ever. Mister Irrelevant has infinitely better on-the-field photos (and I'm glad to know we were similarly captivated), but seeing him emerge from the bus like this suddenly made me weak-kneed. I don't know what's in that case, but it's sure not clothes.

Dmitri Young's suitcase.

6. The Maryland women roll on to the Elite Eight, one game away from a return trip to the Final Four, with only Stanford--the slightly controversial two seed still slightly bitter over the Terps' slightly controversial one seed--left in the way. Discussion question: If the Terps go, is the women's Final Four worth a D.C. Sports Bog road trip, or not really? Anyhow, most importantly, as seen above, many members of the team got to pose for photos with the Fonz. I have no idea where or why, but it's awesome.

5. I'll post more on this later, but please click here. It's never the wrong time for some corporate-sponsored Gilbert wackiness.

4. The Toronto Raptors continue to crater, the Sixers' hot streak has ended, the Wiz earned two road wins on the brutal West Coast swing, and now, after one more road loss at Utah, the Wiz will head home with an inside track to set up DeShawn vs. Lebron in the playoffs. At worst, they'd be tied with Toronto, with which the Wiz hold the tiebreaker. Then comes five of the last eight games at home, and only one of those five home games comes against a winning team.

3. The Caps are insanely hot (12-4 since the trades?), the 'Canes finally lost a game, and now the Caps are being described nationally as "peering up from ninth like so many flesh-eatin' piranhas." Trust me, I've watched the movies, and the team that starts miserably, fires its coach on Thanksgiving, gets pretty hot, trades for a cheese-eating French goalie and then plays .750 hockey down the stretch doesn't wind up one point short. That's just not the way these things end.

Nick Johnson's lightning bolt hair.

2. I guess a walk-off homer from your franchise player isn't a bad way to open a new park. I wouldn't know, because I pulled a Kornheiser and went to sleep around the fourth inning, except I one-upped Kornheiser by failing even to make it to the park and use my credential to watch history for free. I did, however, get to see George Washington win that president's race on TV. I really thought they'd give the opener to Teddy. At this point, I don't know how they ever let him win. Video (of the homer, not the prez race) right here. Plus, we got to see Nick Johnson's new haircut, sort of.

1. Not even close. Gilbert's quote: "I told him whatever [Antawn Jamison] wants, give it to him and I'll take the pay cut." This means Gilbert's staying, and baby Steinberg gets her baby food for another year. Oh, and his advice on writing a successful blog? "Be honest, be funny, entertaining. Have drama. Drama sells."

[* Loosely defined.]

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 31, 2008; 12:46 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , College Basketball , D.C. United , Nats , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D-Steve's Birthday Party: Biz Markie
Next: Giant Racing Teddy Attacks the Braves

Comments

9. The crowd was yelling "Booooo-urns."

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 1:27 PM | Report abuse

At 7 and 1/2, I would put "the Redskins stayed out of the news"

Posted by: John Malkovich | March 31, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

For the record, it was about 50/50.

And also, I made it from my seat in RF to my apartment near Gallery Place in 20-something minutes. Metro works.

Posted by: Matt Brown | March 31, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Thing is, "boo" ALWAYS trumps "yeah" or clapping. I'm not defending W, but that's just some cold, hard auditory facts... Jack.

Posted by: jer | March 31, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I'm so disappointed that the Sports Bog wasn't at the Nats game. My brother and I were looking for you! Of course, we got there at 1:30 to line up for the $5 tickets, so we were pretty bored by the time that we even got in the gate (at 3:30, and that was almost 5 hours before the game started!!!).

Posted by: Sherry | March 31, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Uhmm.........the Wiz have not lost to Utah. They play tonight. Have a little faith. I know we usually suck on the second night of a back to back but just maybe this one time we might pull it out. Have a little faith in the Wiz. If those wondering what I am talking about. I am responding in reference to number 4.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 31, 2008 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Nats Park is very nice. Absolutely worth the $611 mill. Good food and beer choices everywhere (to those that complained of no Dogfish Head - does any other stadium have it? no!). And stadium peanuts are delicious (expensive but good).

The Playstation Pavillion is basically a babysitting venue for middle-aged overweight men with 2 kids. Dude - just play it at home!

The team store had an hour wait on the checkout lines after 5:30 pm. Everyone wanted an opening day pin/tshirt/ball/mini-bat/cap/program. Even media members were buying these things!

Metro was fine ... as long as you move to the front of the train!

The reason why no one saw Dan is simple - he plays Teddy as one of the racing presidents.

Posted by: greg | March 31, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Is it really a good idea to have a professional athlete campaign around "make it rain?"

Posted by: sitruc | March 31, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

...and yet DC United lost their season opener 2-0 to the KC Wizards...

Posted by: Catherine-Lucia | March 31, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Proof that this was the best weekend ever in DC sports history: The nationals have the best record in Major League Baseball.

Posted by: WOW | March 31, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I was surprised by the amount of cheering. I think a lot of people (myself included) just remained quiet. That would have been deafening.

Baby Steinberg only dines on the world's finest cheeses.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | March 31, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

"D.C. did us all proud with that reaction to the Prez."

You think so? I thought it was tacky. He wasn't out there campaigning for something or making a political statement. He was out there ex officio as President of the United States. I would have thought respect for the office would suggest just sitting on one's hands rather than booing if polite applause is utterly unthinkable.

Posted by: Bill Walsh | March 31, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

"D.C. did us all proud"?

Try "D.C. did it low-class," just like in '05. Whatever you think on politics (it's a free country), Bush was there at the invitation of the team and MLB to celebrate a great night in our team's and our city's history. "Doing us all proud" would have been a polite round of applause or, if you just can't muster even that amount of class, sitting on your hands until The Eeeeeevil is out of sight.

Posted by: JoshC | March 31, 2008 7:07 PM | Report abuse

PLEASE go to the Final 4 if our ladies make it! They're badass and deserve the support and coverage!

Posted by: wendy | March 31, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely YES you should cover the Lady Terps in the Final Four (WHEN they win tonight). Just think... Take the money from your travel budget that you spent on Beckham in LA last year and go to Tampa instead!

Posted by: DCUMD | March 31, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Shhhhh, Catherine-Lucia. Keep that up and Dan will bog individual players and before you know it they will be gone. Plus, DCU has an official blog now. I'm sure Dan can figure something out where he can get paid by United to post on that site.

Posted by: sitruc | March 31, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

The Wizards game just went to halftime and I'm pretty sure I don't like you writing from the future unless you tell me some winning lottery numbers.

Posted by: sitruc | March 31, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Looks like Dan gets to go to LA this year...

Posted by: sitruc | March 31, 2008 11:53 PM | Report abuse