UMBC and Hoyas Come Together

Seriously, Hoyas, you ready for this?

I mentioned this last night, but I didn't want it to get lost in the glut of Selection Show glory.

Here are just a sampling of the signs at RAC Arena Saturday afternoon that prodded at the Retrievers' I-95 state-system brethren. You've gotta figure the majority of these folks grew up as some manner of Terps fans, but they wasted absolutely no time rubbing hot pretzel salt into the Turtles' wounds. Maryland fans must be seething-ish.

But as I mentioned yesterday, I think this puts Georgetown fans in a dicey situation. Surely they want to chuckle and laugh at this UMBCheekiness, but yet they need to start revving up their UMBCallousness. I suggest they spend the next two hours or so admiring the Retrievers for their anti-Maryland blasts, and then move on.

This guy was on every TV station in Maryland.

One of many.

Like I said.

Yup, like I said.

And this wasn't even all of 'em.

A bunch of UMBC fans had rally monkeys. Odd.

Steven Matuszek and his son Isaac. He refers to Maryland as UMCP. Love the hat. Apologies to Isaac for not taking this over.

By Dan Steinberg  |  March 17, 2008; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Coppin State's Win
Next: Mike Wise Confronts My Daughter

Comments

Yes, we'll enjoy watching you get blasted by Tennessee.

Snark aside, good effort by the Retrievers.

Posted by: EricS | March 17, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, my bad. Enjoy getting crushed by Georgetown. I could have sworn ESPN was saying they would be playing Tennessee last night.

Posted by: EricS | March 17, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

all of these people have been umbc "fans" for about three weeks... wonder where they will be a year from now... kinda reminds me of "mason nation"...

Posted by: littles | March 17, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm sure they just jumped on the bandwagon of a #15 seed....

Posted by: rando | March 17, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

It's really not unbelievable at all, rando. Some fans will appear because they are in the tournament while others jumped on the bandwagon when they realized they were in a good place in their conference and would probably win their tournament.

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

So what's the problem with jumping on the bandwagon?

Especially with a basketball program like UMBC, who struggled to get even local press for the last twenty years. We don't have history on our side, so what? Tradition has to start somewhere, and this incredible season is a good place to start.

I was at the RAC on Saturday. I've been there dozens of times before, but it looked and felt different. There was an energy, a relentless drive to support their team that's been missing all these years. When you go to Georgetown or Maryland, a century of expectations are handed down to you on a silver platter.

Now, this generation of students get to create a fanbase organically. It does this old dog proud to imagine the possibilities.

Glory, Glory Bal'more County, and the Dogs go Marching On!

Posted by: Doug | March 17, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

If going to a UMBC game against HARDFORD, buying a shirt, and making a sign is jumping on the bandwagon, then BRING IT ON!

Posted by: rando | March 17, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Give us a call when you win a national championship.

Posted by: Terpsfan | March 17, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I wasn't saying I have a problem with it, Doug. I was pointing out that rando's initial comment was a bit off. I'm a Hokie. Before the move to the ACC, it had been nearly a decade since people cared about Virginia Tech men's basketball at all.

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Give me a call when you win the NIT

Posted by: Retriever Fan | March 17, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, those newbie UMBC fans -- they didn't even set fire to anything or throw any bottles at police.

Posted by: Stever Retriever | March 17, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

How could UMBC go through all that Terp hating and not mention that they have now beaten them in lax for the second straight year?

I look foward to seeing what the Retriever fans bring to Raleigh, if they are anything like the impressive group that Belmont* brought to Winston Salem we should be in for a fun Friday

*Glad to welcome the Bruins to the phonebooth by the way, beat Duke!

Posted by: 1234 | March 17, 2008 4:32 PM | Report abuse

People just don't "become" UMBC fans, obviously if someone is really that invested in a team that they would take their time and money to go see a UMBC vs. Hartford game... do you really think that they're jumping on the Bandwagon?? That gym was full of Students and Alumni who have been dying to see they're school succeed at an athletic event that matters in the eyes of the general public. Terps fans are just bitter because for once in the ENTIRE UMBC BASKETBALL EXISTANCE, they can't say they're definitively better than the Dawgs.

Posted by: Nick-A-What!? | March 17, 2008 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Retriever Fan, 1995...

;)

Posted by: sitruc | March 17, 2008 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Were there any signs in the crowd taunting UMES?

As a Maryland fan, I didn't know UMBC had a chip on their shoulder towards us. I guess it makes sense, since there's nothing more Maryland than having a chip on your shoulder towards everybody.

Godspeed, Retrievers. Go spread your little state anger!

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | March 17, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse