Cristobal Huet on Cheese

Endorsed by 100 percent of D.C.-based French professional hockey goalies.

Because we couldn't let the regular season end without asking the Caps' new(ish) French goalie about cheese....I'm taking journalistic license here by moving the quotes around chronologically to make this into a sensible first-person cheese tale.

"Cheese is definitely big for us. Before dessert we have some cheese, on big nights, not every day. I like cheese, but I'm not gonna run around the city to find my cheese.

"Some are pretty tough to find here, so I don't know if you're going to know about it. We have a lot of goat cheese, different goat cheese. Reblochon, it's from where I am [near Grenoble, in Rhône-Alpes]. My wife is from Switzerland and she's big on Gruyere, but like the aged one. It's very salty, it's nice. We have Comte, Bleu. It's like the one with the blue inside, like Gorgonzola, we call it Bleu at home. [Possibly Bleu de Bresse?]

"What else do we have? There's some nasty ones, but I'm not that big on big, smelly cheese. There's some families, when the cheese are passed away, they mix it up all together and leave it there for a week and then they eat it. It smells, oh. Good luck with that."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 2, 2008; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau Takes Shots
Next: Joe Gibbs's Favorite Movie is Young Frankenstein

Comments

Mmmm...stinky cheese.

Posted by: silentbob | April 2, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Steinz, did you tell Huet about Cheesetique? He probably hasn't discovered the place yet.

Posted by: Paul | April 2, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"Some are pretty tough to find here, so I don't know if you're going to know about it."

Mr. Huet obviously had no idea who he was talking to.

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | April 2, 2008 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Cheese Boy!!! this is the best cheese related interview with a frenchman you can muster?? whats the deal, i was expecting a full feature!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Surely between Steinz and Huet, one of them must have this book.

Posted by: Gustafsson | April 2, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"Steinz, did you tell Huet about Cheesetique?"

Cowgirl Creamery is, like, two blocks from the Verizon Center.

Posted by: silentbob | April 2, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Ok look, it's not my fault if the dude doesn't want to have a three hour conversation about cheese. I mean, trust me, no one else in there was talking about cheese at the time. But I promised I'd bring him a wheel of Reblochon, which I will, and if he's really interested maybe we'll go to Cowgirl Creamery, although my understanding is that NHL players typically don't go to cheese shops with bloggers.

Don't own Stinky Cheese Man, but I do own the Cheese Primer.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 2, 2008 4:13 PM | Report abuse

can ya metabolize lactose boy, can ya?

Posted by: qualude conduct | April 2, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

i'm living in the rhone-alpes, and i can tell you the cheese selection is overwhelming. reblochon is good, picodon is another good local one. i will have to start following the caps more closely now just to see if there are any new cheese developments.

Posted by: kelly | April 3, 2008 8:57 AM | Report abuse