DeShawn's Birthday Party: The Photos

Feel free to write this in the comments--"why are these guys dressing up and acting silly two hours after they lost a crucial basketball game in back-breaking fashion while i'm paying my hard-earned money for tickets and papa johns pizza and they should be home watching tape and beating themselves with leather straps after losing a game like that not running around pretending they're from the south bronx and eating pigs in blankets!!1!!!1!!"

But in the meantime, bear in mind that I had a pretty bad day at the office yesterday, and yet I was allowed to gleefully flit about DeShawn Stevenson's '80s-themed 27th birthday party at Collaborations while gawking at Biz Markie and Gilbert's large cell phone without feeling guilty about my poor work performance several hours earlier.

I mean, these guys aren't robots. Although the Robot Dance would have been highly appropriate last night.

I'll write more on this in bit, but here are some images from the night that was, featuring the Rookies, Andray Blatche, Clinton Portis, Gilbert, more from the Birthday Boy (pictured below with the Wiz dancers), and a group of revelers from Fresno. And seriously, what have we come to when Clinton Portis is getting out-costumed by some Wizard rookie?

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 3, 2008; 12:14 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Are the Wiz Better With Gil?
Next: Wizards Fans Like to Dance

Comments

Posted by: Kev | April 3, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I've never been more attracted to papa smurf in my life.

Posted by: qualude conduct | April 3, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

i'm very, very frustrated at the moment that photobucket is blocked at work... >:-(

Posted by: hmmmmm | April 3, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if the Spurs or Lakers did this kind of stuff during their championship seasons.

Posted by: UnsilentScottvanLittles | April 3, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

His birthday is actually today, wonder why he didn't plan it for tonight.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert looks Hilarious!!! I wonder where he found that Gucci jacket!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Why are these guys dressing up and acting silly two hours after they lost a crucial basketball game in back-breaking fashion while i'm paying my hard-earned money for tickets and papa johns pizza and they should be home watching tape and beating themselves with leather straps after losing a game like that not running around pretending they're from the south bronx and eating pigs in blankets!!1!!!1!!"

Now there are 3 teams tied to that #5 spot now.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

whoa...guess my invitation was lost in the mail...

Posted by: Scroot | April 3, 2008 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Winner: Gilbert Arenas, who appears to have actually gone back in time and snatched LL Cool J's outfit.

Best Prop: Giant cell phone/coonskin cap (tie)

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley is intrigued by the Wizards' apparent lax policy of cheerleaders fraternizing with players.

Posted by: CaptChaos47 | April 3, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

No really, why?

That's exactly what I was going to type anyway.

DeShawn should have been more serious in the off-season and he would have been better earlier in the year. DeShawn needs to get to bed earlier.

Tsk, tsk.

Posted by: Nancy | April 3, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Where did Gilbert get Zack Morris' cell phone from?

Posted by: StetSports.com | April 3, 2008 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert wins as that might be what he wears normally.

Posted by: JDP | April 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

how long did it take before pech rick rolled the party?

Posted by: jrp | April 3, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I love this team and their comradery, but there's a time and a place. He could have planned this stuff for another night.

Did he look at the schedule a few months ago and say to himself, "Bucks at home... that's a win. We'll party after that."

Maybe he should look back and see that Micheal Redd posts career numbers against us everytime we play him.

Posted by: MattyJ | April 3, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Foo, I threw that party. Why? Cuz Lebron's overrated, but I got dressing skills. Son.

Posted by: DeShawn | April 3, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

AWESOME!!!

Posted by: Carl | April 3, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

save the partying for after you lose in the first round of the playoffs.

Posted by: Stick | April 3, 2008 6:14 PM | Report abuse

i see nothing wrong with this, ish, im just mad that i didnt get to go.

Posted by: mike | April 3, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

who's the cutie with the racoon hat and red jacket?

Posted by: anita | April 4, 2008 1:13 AM | Report abuse

It's easy to throw an 80's party when there isn't a single white dude on your team..

Posted by: PC | April 4, 2008 10:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm not even sure what that means, PC.

Posted by: sitruc | April 4, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

The pix are hilarious! Gilbert wins...but they are too funny. Dmac looks like he has a juri curl...LOL I didnt even recognize Gilbert until i looked a second time! Deshawn's boom box - funny!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 4, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

nick young look cool I heard that he won go micheal jackson

Posted by: frankie jude | April 5, 2008 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Why are there no black women in the pics? Is it true all ball players (football and basketball) go white after getting the paper? Damn shame.

Posted by: gigi | April 6, 2008 4:28 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert came to the party not knowing it was a retro theme party. LOL. Thats what he where LOL jk.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 2:10 AM | Report abuse