Flyers Fans Drink Vengeance

So I rode up to Philly this morning with Mike Wise, choosing Caps and the possible bodily harm inflicted on Mike Wise over Wizards and the possible bodily harm inflicted on DeShawn Stevenson. Wise makes for better copy.

Haven't seen any Flyers fans just yet, but we did listen to a bit of Philly sports talk radio. Managed to hear the Caps referred to as "Filthy Russkies," Sergei Fedorov referred to as "Sir-Gay," plus some sort of "Better dead than red" reference. Brotherly Love, indeed.

Meanwhile, over at the Flyers message board--from where I've been criticized for "plagiarism" for quoting an anonymous fan anonymously--the fans are now criticizing Comcast SportsyNet for having the gall to defend Mike Wise. If all this doesn't end with Mike Wise stripping off his shirt and throwing down his pens in the face of some columnist from the Philly Daily News, I'll be sorely disappointed.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2008; 1:13 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Donald Brashear's NBA Contest
Next: Last Week's Five Stars

Comments

"Mike Wise stripping off his shirt and throwing down his pens in the face."

'i' likey.

Posted by: kwamesnani | April 21, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg... could you do us all a big favor and explain exactly where this asinine "Vengeance Now" slogan came from? I mean, are Philly fans holding a grudge against anyone or anything in particular, or does "Vengeance" just sound 'bad-ass' to them? Your diligent research into the issue would be much appreciated. Thanks, and good luck tonight. All the best to Mike Wise as well... let us know if we need to contact a priest or something for his Last Rites.

Posted by: Mike | April 21, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

If they hate then let 'em hate and watch the money pile up.

Posted by: 50 Cent | April 21, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

I agree wit 50. Although, contrary to the what is stated in the Flyers thread, I don't want to go to anyone's house and strip for them. Good find, Steinz.

Posted by: Jenkins | April 21, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

It is my understanding that "Vengeance Lager" is just another name for that Philly Piss in a bottle, Yuengling. I mean what else do you drink in Philly, the sewer/anus of the USA.

Posted by: Philadelphia = Sewerdelphia | April 21, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

M-Wise takes on all comers! He's like Agt. Steinz's evil alter ego!
"Mr. Philly Writer, don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I"m angry."
[cue sad piano music]

Posted by: Mason Pattrick | April 21, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Wait--is Vengeance Lager their version of Montezuma's Revenge? And if so, why are they, themselves, drinking it? Oh, wait again--it's Philly. (Not that I'm casting aspersions at ALL Philly denizens, just the, oh, well, nevermind.)

Posted by: Mason Pattrick | April 21, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse