Flyers Fans Were Not Happy

I should point out that, for all the hints of Philly fan malevolence, I saw not one trace following the loss, and I circled the entire concourse twice. Not even a hint of a trace. Which is not to say that nothing happened; that's just what I saw. I did see Philly fans twice attempt to steal banners from the Caps Fan Club as we discussed the win, but that was probably to be expected.

Also, the Comcast SportsyNet people made the kids with the "Ovechkin Sucks Pucks" sign go away from the set, and they quickly complied, and an usher stopped some kid from chanting "Caps Suck" before the game started. "Hey, you want out of the building?" she asked him. "Watch your mouth."

Also also, a talked with one very nice Flyers fan who struck a blow for fan kindness. "They use bad language sometimes," she said of her peers. "I turn around and give them dirty looks."

But anyhow, overheard on the way out of the Wachovia Center this evening....

* "[Expletive'in] Flyers."

* "Do you think Washington means a [expletive] to any of us?"

* "No effort, no effort at all."

* "They can't even pull the goalie. It's crazy."

* Screw that."

* "Bull[expletive]."

* "Oh well."

* "They should buy US beer, for that game."

* "[Expletive] Ovechkin."

* "E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!"

* "Boooooooooooooo Booooooooooooooo."

* And for emphasis, "Booooooooo Boooooooo."

Also, the Flyers quote sheets had Alex Ovechkin talking about how the Caps were such a young team. Nuh-uh. Google "a done team" and six of the first seven replies are about Ovechkin. That's his go-to phrase. Here's the quote:

"It is [satisfying] because people don't believe us. Everyone said that we are a done team, and then we won one and everybody said it's only one game and then it's done. It's not over yet. Tomorrow we have the biggest game in our career, I think, and we don't stop with this."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2008; 10:52 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Fans Brave Philly
Next: DeShawn's Face Gets Felt

Comments

Ovechkin Laichs Semin...

Wow, that almost redeems Philly in my eyes. Hilarious!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 21, 2008 11:22 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I can respect the "Ovechkin Laichs Semin". That took brains. Much better than "[Expletive] Ovechkin"

Posted by: Scott | April 22, 2008 12:19 AM | Report abuse

"Ovechkin Laichs Semin" is brilliant. Us Caps fans should appropriate that into a Verizon centre chant tonight.

Posted by: J | April 22, 2008 3:25 AM | Report abuse

Hey Dan, what's the number for that Russian blonde who put Ovechkin in the slump?

I think the Flyers fans would happily pay to mail order up a little distraction for tonight.

Posted by: Dan Levy | April 22, 2008 5:56 AM | Report abuse

The t-shirt did make me laugh a little, but the text in the other pictures looks off. It looks like one of those websites that puts text on a picture according to where you are at the time. (Save your time, those hot girls aren't really in West Virginia.) If I viewed this with a Nashville, TN proxy, would they say "Predators suck?"

Posted by: sitruc | April 22, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I can't stand Philthadelphia meatheads but that shirt is priceless.

Posted by: Owen11 | April 22, 2008 10:00 AM | Report abuse

The "Caps Suck!!" painted across that guy's chest looks like mom handwriting to me.

Posted by: Kev | April 22, 2008 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Nice font on both of the pictures. You might want to change it the next time you plan on using "doctored" photos on your blog. How about a nice post tonight with the Caps fans saying the same sort of thing after the Flyers finish the series.

Posted by: me | April 22, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Sorry dude, no idea how even to doctor photos, plus I could get fired for that. Look at the crappy video I produced above and tell me I'm smart enough to doctor a photo.

The arena had people spraying logos and sayings on fans through those little designs; that must have been the source.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 22, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I love it when Philly fans decide to "leave the game a little early." They left hella early during the NFL Dallas-Philly game this year, too.
Where's all that posted pompous nonsense now about how Flyers fans are REAL hockey fans? (Yeah, that postgame--playoff-loss game, by the way--traffic's tough. Gee, better leave now.)

Posted by: Naf Sallad | April 22, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

lets count the number of caps fans who left game 2 early. no? okay lets count the regular season attendance. no? okay lets suck ovechkins d a little more. ahhh thats it.

Posted by: lenny dykstra | April 23, 2008 4:38 AM | Report abuse

Did any of you washington fans see the beer bottle thrown at jeff carter in game 7 IN WASHINGTON?!?! oh wait- maybe you were playing golf already

Posted by: Emily | April 28, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse