Fred Davis Is Bone Crusher
Highlights from USC tight end Fred Davis's media availability....
* Nicknames? Yeah, the man has nicknames. Mom Margo Davis says he was once known as "Bone Crusher," because he he broke a kid's arm in youth football.
"We used to take him to practice and they didn't want to play, it was like, 'Oh no, here comes Fred,' " Margo said. "When the kids would see him they'd run in the opposite direction."
* In high school, he was known as "Freddy Franchise," according to his brother, because he played so many different positions.
* Davis's take on these nicknames? "They over there making stuff up," he said of his brother and mother. Although he did admit to liking "Fast Freddy" as a nickname. Also, he said he used to call himself "The Problem Solver," in homage to Iverson's "The Answer." What problems has he solved? "SC's passing game," joked his older brother, Kedran Barnhill.
* His introductory remarks? "I was really excited to be a part of the burgundy and gold," he said, as Jim Zorn pumped his fist.
"I taught him!" Zorn exclaimed as the room broke into applause. "I was a little nervous because of those SC colors."
* His youth football team? "The Redskins." "I guess it was destiny to be a Redskin," he said. "Can you imagine the destiny?" he mom added. "Who would have known."
* His girlfriend? Jean F. Kuei, an employment attorney for Reed Smith LLP and a graduate of Georgetown Law.
* His mom? Yeah, she can talk. "Something's gonna happen in this city," she said of her son's arrival. "Watch out."
* His hobbies? Among other things ("American Idol" video games), Davis has set up a freestyle rapping studio with his home computer.
"He thinks he's a rapper," said his brother. "He freestyle raps everywhere he goes."
"You know, I think he should stick to his day job," Jean said.
"He's getting better," his brother said, kindly.
"After four years," Jean pointed out.
"I'm very critical, you're asking the wrong one," his mom said. "Maybe he can come out with a rap song for the Redskins."
"I rap a little bit," Davis said. "I'm pretty decent. I'm not bad at all. If I wasn't playing football, I might go platinum, you know what I'm saying?"
(New wideout Malcolm Kelly, as noted below, is a famed freestyler. "I'm gonna have to get up with him," Davis said.)
* His TV habits? Animal shows. "Sharks, snakes, dinosaurs," Jean said. "Kind of bizarre."
"Yeah, how is the zoo over here?" Kedran asked.
* His suit? Tan with pinstripes.
"This is my first suit ever," Davis said. "I've had a jacket before, one other jacket."
"He's very into fashion," Jean said. "I want to say I take credit for some of his wardrobe, but not for the suit specifically."
The color, it turns out, was thanks to Kedran.
"Just something about that light brown/tan, just something about those colors," Kedran said. "They just look good year round. It was between that and cream."
"I like it, I think I'm gonna have to roll with it," Davis said. "Kind of feels like I'm a professional."
* His earing? Chanel. It sparkled, but he said he wasn't gonna be going on any shopping sprees.
"I'm not a baller like most people," he said.
Posted by: Dude | April 28, 2008 1:31 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: RANDO IN LA | April 28, 2008 1:49 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Hoya Saxa | April 28, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: dcsween | April 28, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Matt Brown | April 28, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Cnewt | April 28, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse
The comments to this entry are closed.