Gil Gives Away His Shoes

Zak Kapugi, holding Gilbert's shoes.

As Gilbert left the locker room after last night's win over the Celtics, he told SportsTalk 980's Jerry Coleman that he was done talking for the rest of the regular season. The playoffs were a maybe. That left others to do the locker room talking. Like Caron Butler, for example.

"We were the best team in the Eastern Conference last year before the injuries," Caron said. "Once we got everybody back, we feel we can beat anybody....Obviously we're not getting enough respect. When you don't get respect, you've got to take it....Watch out for us. We're a force to be reckoned with."

Well then. But still, what of Gilbert? Why the no-talking policy after three straight wins and two straight rock-solid performances?

"He's so backwards," Brendan Haywood said. "He's going to do the opposite of whatever everybody expects. When he's hurt and he's not supposed to be talking to the media, he's doing interviews. Now, when he's playing and playing well, now he don't want to talk to nobody....You expect the unexpected."

And it just so happens that 14-year-old Zak Kapugi got the unexpected yesterday. Gil was leaving the court after the game. Zak, who sits in section 110, came over to greet the exiting players. Gil had already taken off his Redskins-themed Gil II Zeros.

"He just handed 'em to me," said Zak, who was still clutching the shoes to his chest 10 minutes later. Did he ask for the sneaks? "No, he just handed 'em to me," Zak repeated. "I was shocked. He had 'em in his hands, I put my hands out and he just gave 'em to me."

Not a bad night at the arena. Zak also was wearing a "Nutso" wrist rubber band, courtesy of Andray Blatche, who recently started wearing DeShawn Stevenson's wrist bands. (Stevenson, of course, also has "Nutso" tattooed across his fingers.) Anyhow, Blatche has averaged 11 points and 6 rebounds a game since Stevenson began giving him his wrist bands. Maybe the whole team should adopt the Nutsos.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 10, 2008; 8:19 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps Go Culture
Next: Mike Green's Playoff Hawk

Comments

Sick shoes -

What are the NBA Uniform regulations for sneakers? I think that the majority color of the sneaker must match the jersey and must match all other teammates. IE: everyone has to wear white sneakers, but some may have black on them or team colors.

Anyone know for sure?

Posted by: AK | April 10, 2008 9:29 AM | Report abuse

All is right in the world.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 10, 2008 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Hey! I got Gil's sneakers too. OK, at least ones that Gil designed. They're the bomb! They're the gold ones that say "Vote for Gilbert."

You were there, Agent Stein? Good for you! I got a bunch of those "Back for More" t-shirts for honorable mentions and such . . . .

What a game. What a game!

Posted by: Nancy | April 10, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Those are some ugly sneakers. I wouldn't be caught dead with those on.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 10, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Gil is going to make Eddie Jordan get his T-Shirt gun out.

Posted by: StetSports.com | April 10, 2008 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I'm pretty sure the NBA doesn't heavily regulate the design/colors of the sneaker. I know that the Celtics wore black shoes forever and it was a semi-big deal a few years ago when they started wearing white shoes on the road.

Posted by: Jay | April 10, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I rock those Chocolate City sneakers proudly. Come on, how else can you support Gilbert, the zards, and the skins simultaneously?

Posted by: Zack | April 10, 2008 12:44 PM | Report abuse

I read somewhere that wizards PR boy Daren Jenkins has a similar post game routine where after every home game as well as the 3 to 4 road games he attends each season young Daren throws his tie into the crowd its much easier than its sounds since Jenkins wheres only clip on ties

Posted by: I got work | April 10, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

i want some gillzeros

Posted by: thomas sykes | April 16, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Nice blog! Those shoes looks very gorgeous with my NBA uniform.

Posted by: Smith | May 2, 2008 2:32 AM | Report abuse