The Capital Disses Back

Closed fist? (By Jim Young - Reuters)

LeBron gets Jay-Z to diss DeShawn; now Pro'Verb has stepped up to diss back. More than that, Proverb name-checks a certain newspaper:

Who would have thought that I'd have to step into this territory; The Washington Post couldn't write a better story.

Yeah, take that Cleveland. Who ever name-checks the Plain Dealer anyhow? Oh wait, I forgot: legendary Plain Dealer columnist Terry Pluto is sick of this:

Fine, fine. No more hyping.

Ok, I take it back; just one more verse, and I'll stop.

Lil' LeBron got to run to his pops;
Like "Daddy, he was making fun of The Roc."
What's next, he gonna get a Diss track from his mom;
Will Beyonce go and sing a song for LeBron?

Anyhow, life's parabola would seem to be arcing downwards on this particular afternoon. It's possible that the pinnacle of the Wizards as we've blogged them came two minutes into the first half yesterday, when DeShawn made the layup and the and-one, then made the Roc dynasty sign and slashed his throat. See here. At that moment, it was still possible to think of Joan Rivers not feeling her face and to dream. Thanks to Unsilent for doing his best to keep this going.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 28, 2008; 3:48 PM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Davis Is Bone Crusher
Next: Malcolm Kelly Has a Beautiful Voice

Comments

First!!

Posted by: jarresc | April 28, 2008 4:05 PM | Report abuse

"I'm especially sick of hearing Stevenson and the Washington media hype his rivalry with James."

Mike Tirico is a local? I thought he was Canadian. When he wasn't openly fellating Lebron on air, Tirico constantly referred to the Soldier Boy/Jay Z nonsense all while complaining about the ridiculousness of the whole thing. He must have brought it up 12 times during the first half alone.

Posted by: prophet | April 28, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

why are you folks still carrying this on? is this all you have left to hold on to? well if you insist,

terry pluto = jay-z

dan steinberg = ...wait,....dan steinberg?

Posted by: elbow | April 28, 2008 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Terry's a legend, but he writes for the Akron Beacon Journal (LeBron's hometown paper).

Posted by: DevilGrad | April 28, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Terry Pluto left Akron for the PD last year.

And elbow, you try coming up with eight mildly interesting mildly amusing D.C. sports-related blog posts a day, subtracting two hours for a trip to and from Redskins Park. Tell me that if some local rapper came to the defense of a moderately talented and extremely nutso local shooting guard in his running feud involving a teenage one-hit wonder, a rap mogul and one of the three greatest basketball players in the world, you really wouldn't be tempted to turn that into a mildly interesting post.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Its ok dan, if they hate, then let them hate and watch the money pile up.

Posted by: Not enough rappers | April 28, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

LeBron started screaming before that "open fist" (forearm) clipped his headband.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 28, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

dan,

where are these mildly interesting posts that you speak of?

Posted by: elbow | April 28, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

you can diss DeShawn, he's a big boy, but backoff on the DC stuff. Cle-land Rocks. is that because of all the broken windows d/twn? what exactly has the Mike wannabe actually won? for that matter what has Cle-land won in anything? how's that major U in downtown doin, probably better than Gtown cause Cle-land ......s

Posted by: devans | April 28, 2008 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Ha! When does elbow's diss track about the D.C. Sports Bog drop?

Anyhow, I'll grant you that mild interest is in the eye of the bored office worker. But I don't know how to categorize someone who continues to comment on a thread which offers not even the mildest of interest. "Bored" can't possibly do that person justice.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | April 28, 2008 5:06 PM | Report abuse

I love how Steinberg has to continue to defend his irrelevant crap.

But I digress, it is entertaining irrelevant crap.

And Jay Z vs. Pro'Verb (who?)

Why even bother?

Posted by: Tyler | April 28, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Go Prov 'Verb!!!

Unsilent Majority, you are so right! Lebron James did not get punched. It's just BS.

Posted by: Nancy | April 28, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

"I mean, at least I'm not wasting my time commenting on someone's useless post on this non-existent feud. Oh wait...."

LOL.

Dan, life is the details. These things ARE important. I studied history with Simon Schama. I know this.

It was a great game and kudos to AD for thanking the guys as they came off the court and kudos to AD again for getting GA not to say what was SUPPOSED to happen on the last play.

I believe we'll win the next three. I BELIEVE!!!

Posted by: Nancy | April 28, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

When did people start commenting "FIRST?!" on the bog? Is is only when Cleveland started to get prominently mentioned?

Posted by: Matt Brown | April 28, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Both cities have a lot of crime, but America's biggest crooks live at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posted by: City Data | April 28, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

1) This whole saga is INCREDIBLY entertaining, and Dan Steinberg deserves a medal for his comprehensive coverage of it. elbow can take one to the head if his comments in any way dissuade D-Steinz from posting on this subject.

2) I never thought I would type these words in my life, but ProVerb owns Jay-Z so far in this battle.

3) DeShawn and the Wizards better win three so this thing can continue with glory for the hometown boyz.

4) Go Wiz!

Posted by: Lindemann | April 28, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Last!

Posted by: bogger | April 28, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

the Bog is by far one of my favorite websites, thanks Steinberg

Posted by: trolly | April 28, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

LOL, you guys suck, but your pretty good a talking ****, I will give you that. But as a basketball team, oh my oh my I wish we could play you guys every year, at least we know we will get to the second round.

Posted by: Agent 0 titles | April 28, 2008 11:23 PM | Report abuse

Who da hell is a Pro-Verb. He needed have kept his mouth closed. The diss track was straight toilet water.

Posted by: Seven | April 29, 2008 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Seven, you know that wasn't garbage champ.. lol. Just like I know Lebron isn't overrated.

The whole "overrated" thing is overrated! Pretty much when Deshawn said that, he was saying he doesn't have to bow down to or fellate Lebron like all you other *#!! kissers do! lol. Especially the national sports media and the NBA. He could have chose a better word but that what he was pretty much saying. And no it wasn't a close fist. I never seen someone whose lip nerve is connected to his wrist nerve, because everytime some even brushes up on him, he grabs his lip. Poor baby, thats why he ran to his dadddy, Papa Jay. LOL

Posted by: Tyrone, DC | April 29, 2008 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Jay-z couldn't beat that...it's best he stays in his laaaane

Posted by: POC | April 29, 2008 11:20 AM | Report abuse

WHO THE FUKK IS PROVERB

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

He's an up-and-coming rapper from DC. You haven't heard of him because he doesn't get play on your favorite top 40 station.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | April 29, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

touche' moby

Posted by: elbow | April 29, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I like the trash talking. I really like it because even with all of the talk the Cavs are still winning. I guess the Wiz had to try something after getting swept last year,granted Arenas and Butler were hurt, but are they playing now? Whatever. I guess Pro-v's song would have sucked had he used his own music, and not Jay-Z's. Deshawn Stevenson said that he doesn't know LeBron, and doesn't like him. What a hater. There is a difference of hating on a talented person and one that's not. Deshawn stevenson wishes he had LeBron's talent, that's why he has to knock him down because he can't guard him. Cleveland has a lot of local rappers here too. So what. Don't hate because Jay-Z is known and Pro-v is not. We will see tomorrow how it goes. LeBron's stats speak for themselves. Does Stevenson have stats? They should give out the MVP award after the finals because LeBron got the Cavs to the finals. Nobody thought that would happen. Cleveland may not have won anything recently, but we still have the best fans. Even Michael Jordan couldn't deal with the losing Wizards anymore. LOL

Posted by: BBallfan28 | April 29, 2008 1:11 PM | Report abuse

BBallfan, thanks for the laughs, and for proving that everyone's ideas about Cleveland and its residents are, in fact, true.

I keep asking this of Cavs fans, but oddly enough, none of them answer--have you purchased your LeBron Knicks jersey yet, or are you waiting until it's official to jump on that bandwagon?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2008 2:12 PM | Report abuse

He clearly cocked his arm back as if he was throwing a hay maker. You can't tell me that's a "basketball play" in any way shape or form.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 30, 2008 3:32 AM | Report abuse

It looks like any and everyone is trying to make a name for themselves at the expense of Lebron James. You have a known pediphile talking smack against one of the best players in the league. He does not have the game of LBJ and knows he can get embarrassed at any moment. Look at his "ole" defense at the end of Game 1.

Then you have some "wanna be" rapper who cannot crack the airwaves of XM Radio. They will play anything on Channel 66. If he cannot be heard there, he needs to keep his mouth closed. He is bringing a water gun to a street fight. Hova has battled, and humiliated, more notable rappers.

Both of them need to realize they are battling established "professionals." Both are outclassed and overmatched.

I do not have any beef with the District or the Wizards. I just cannot stand people who are hypocrites. If LBJ is overrated, why try to make yourself famous at his expense.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 30, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

I heard this dude song...and he said just about all u could say to Jay-z and still be on point, there are a few more street things that can be said to jay in the name of The DMV but Proverb would not know these things ... i'm from d.c./pg and jay wants to be us ...lol.(Blame Kenny Burns, he sold our image to Shawn Carter..Young! don't forget P. Diddy) That's why he said something in the first place! Lebron was a excuse to say something this way (again).
Jay is the best after Tupac but "Blow ur Whistle" is very weak
Proverb got 'em. I put that on The District. When The DMV take the limelight a lil more about how things have be done on the "East Coast" things will rise to the surface that has been going on for years, this more than De'Shawn Stevenson, Lebron James, basketball, & money(Oh yeah "This is where they print up the paper" we r the money...lol).

Trust me!!!

"Big Fish in a City full hooks"

Washington, D.C. .... "We own the world"

Posted by: Art Monk of Hip Hop | May 5, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse