D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings: Chick Hernandez

Perhaps you've seen this feature on Deadspin. Perhaps you're familiar with it from further back, at the always-excellent Boston Sports Media. Perhaps you've noticed that hot D.C. sports blogging topics are fairly non-existent from May through August.

Which is why I'm now presenting the D.C. Sports Media Approval Ratings, a shamelessly stolen concept that (over the next few months) will allow us to rate and compare our favorite and less-than favorite D.C. sports media personalities, including entrants from sports talk radio, local television, broadcast teams, newspapers and Larry Michael.

Today, we move from talk radio (see yesterday's hotly debated Steve Czaban item) to local television, starting with a man perhaps more enthusiastically greeted in certain well-trafficked locker rooms than any other local television broadcaster. That would be Comcast SportsNet's Chick Hernandez, whom Caron Butler described this week as "major."

Hernandez has won multiple Capital Region Emmys, and anchored the first news show on Comcast SportsNet a bit more than seven years ago. He grew up a Cowboys fan, has a blog, has worked under James Brown, Steve Buckhantz and Glenn Brenner, and was once described as "the only guy in the market close to Brenner in on-air spirit and smarts."

He's a native of Silver Spring, a former Maryland Terrapin, a key figure in CSN's golf and Redskins coverage and one of the most interesting hat wearers in the local press scene. He also used to host the dearly departed Washington Post High School Sports Show.

Bearing in mind that you have just two options, here's your chance to judge Chick Hernandez. Choose carefully, and offer explanation and future ranking suggestions below.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 28, 2008; 11:02 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bram Gets All Famous
Next: Erasmus James and the Galactic Zapp Machine

Comments

He may not be Mr. Insightful, but he's got a happy-go-lucky kind of personality that says "I'm not an entitled d-bag." Which is refreshing considering the cluster of Tony Kornheiser and Steve Cazaban and other sports-talking-head asshats.

Posted by: Ben | May 28, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

He's like rice pudding. Kind of bland and noncontroversial. Nothing much to object to.

Posted by: Joe | May 28, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

My friends call me Carlos.

Posted by: Chick | May 28, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I never understood why and how Chick has a job. He is lifelong cable guy.

Posted by: Mark | May 28, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

By no means a superstar, but a good, solid presenter. Would like to see Comcast use him on local golf stories.

Posted by: Gord | May 28, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

A definite approval, Cowboys fan issue notwithstanding (booo!).

An enjoyable on screen reporter, with a calm demeanor. Chick plays his role and never tries to be bigger than the game/event/whatever - which is refreshing amongst some of these other jokers.

Plus the athletes respond well to good old Carlos!

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | May 28, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

I miss the high school sports show.

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | May 28, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Stay in school, you'll always have class.

Posted by: Not Mark Thomas | May 28, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Glenn Brenner was amazing. I still chuckle about his interview with Gordon Peterson, when Gordon was stuck in the elevator.

Posted by: C-Way | May 28, 2008 12:39 PM | Report abuse

easy approve.

Posted by: kwamesnani | May 28, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Not white, fat, old, or grumpy enough for my tastes.

Disapprove.

Posted by: Steve Czaban | May 28, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Approve! I like Chick. Solid veteran broadcaster.

Posted by: Bill-DC | May 28, 2008 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Chick has a light-hearted on air personality that is easy to watch. Doesn't provide much in depth insight but he has a great sense of humor and is a quality studio host that doesn't get in the way of the stories he is presenting. Approve.

Posted by: Chimpanzee Rage | May 28, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

His jolliness usually is more annoying than jolly.

Posted by: StetSports.com | May 28, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

I'm a big Chick Hernandez fan and actually interned at Channel Five when he was still there (with Steve Buckhantz). He's a nice guy and a very good broadcaster.

My only knock on him is that he's a Cowboys fan. But he's a wonderful part of the D.C. sports scene and he's a Maryland grad, so it's all good.

Posted by: Rob | May 28, 2008 2:28 PM | Report abuse

I liked him better bald.

Posted by: Gary | May 28, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Where's my "meh" choice?

Posted by: Chris | May 28, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I can't stand Hernandez - to me, he comes across like a Stuart Scott wannabe. I'm surprised by all the high marks he gets here

Posted by: No thanks. | May 28, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

@Steve Czaban: "Not white, fat, old, or grumpy enough for my tastes. Disapprove."

Thank you Czabe for proving my point better than I could have imagined. I know it's in good fun but Jeez, it's the first thing you mention! Here's my comment from yesterday in Czabe's poll...

"...And he's absolutely obsessed with race. (Count how many times he has to bring up white or black when it has nothing to do with the subject.) Posted by: gary in dc | May 27, 2008 1:58 PM"

Posted by: gary in dc | May 28, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: No thanks. | May 28, 2008 4:18 PM

Agree 100%

Posted by: Jimmy 106 | May 28, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I think he's a great guy, even if he still owes me $100 for a bet he and I made at Earl Forcey's house on the Cowboys first season under Jimmy Johnson. :)

In hoc, Carlos...

Posted by: Brian Morton | May 28, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

generally approve, but comes off as too Wilbon/Mayor McCheese-like for my taste.

Posted by: odessa steps magazine | May 28, 2008 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Well, interesting responses to say the least. It's tru I am not white, bald, but can be fat at times. Stuart Scott wannabe? Really now, when's the last time you heard me yell Booyah! Not my cup of tea.. speaking of which, Tee Time, our new golf show debuts Monday June 2nd with Tiger... check your local listings. (shameless plug) Czabe... why the hate?

Posted by: CHICK H | May 28, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

I have plenty of respect for Chic as a journalist but I quite understand how someone like Steve Czaban has a job. You can't question his knowledge of sports but what very clear is that he's a miserable indivisual that translates loud and clear over the radio. He needs to know what it's like to have respect for his fellow on-air talent...and watch his dis-respectful language of others. It's speaks volumes how much of a bad person he really is and doesn't belong on a nationally syndicated show or even local sportstalk radio.

Posted by: Raymond P./Annandale, VA | May 29, 2008 6:31 AM | Report abuse

Approve unequivocally. Blair High School graduate and former Terp represents Silver Spring and Maryland to the fullest.

Yes, that's an overriding criterion for me.

Posted by: Lindemann | May 29, 2008 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Enjoy Chick Hernandez.
Approve.

Posted by: Crabhands | May 29, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

He sucks. He has no insight into anything, is a clown, and half the time he thinks he is trying out for a comedy show. This is sports, just to clarify. Plus, he is the biggest suck up to athletes and coaches.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 29, 2008 4:50 PM | Report abuse

How can I not like Chick, he was a Sig at Md. Gotta love that he came to rush events back in the day.

Viva 4600 Norwich.